Oregon and Time to Prepare

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
BTW, OSU also gave this "High Powered Oregon Offense" four turnovers to help them score more points. When FSU did that it was a 59 point blowout and they took their foot off the gas in the fourth quarter. IIRC the Criminoles gave them five TO's. Apparently the OSU defense is pretty darn good as those additional four offensive drives that resulted in tons of points against other teams this season didn't bring much more than a FG in this game.

Frankly, OSU could have hung two more TD's on the Ducks without turning it over four times to make it a 56 to 20 final score.

So how could this Oregon team lose 42 to 20 with all of those extra gifts in the form of four TO's? Because when a defense stuffs this "Hurry Up Offense" with a 48 second three and out it just gasses their defense. That is what CPJ has been saying for years and prefers to put even more pressure on these hurry up teams by draining the TOP every game.

Oregon's offense is great when they are front running against lesser teams, but more fragile than an egg when they go three and out every series.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I remember that CPJ studied the Oregon approach a couple of years or so ago and concluded that the down side of getting off the field too quickly and putting your defense repeatedly on the field negated any advantage you might have offensively. I like that Tech can score quickly now but can also slow it down and give the defense a rest. It seems to me to be the best of both worlds.
I shudder to think of what would have happened to our defense this year if we had a hurry up offense. Can you imagine? With our depth issues up front? Our D improved a lot over the season, but lets face it. Our defense was coddled by our offensive efficiency this year. I am not in the least bit ashamed to say it either. Teams win, not units alone.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Maybe Corey D. and Ms. Meyer could set something up :cool::D:cool:

Gonna be interesting to follow Corey's coaching career. Going from playing under one of the best football minds of this football era, to coaching under one of the premier coaches in this football era.

Hopefully when Corey is one of the best football coordinators in 15-20 years he'll want to return home to Ma Tech and run his juggernaut of a hybrid flex-spread he learned under both of his coaching mentors.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Concerning third and long from Bill Connelly; "At one point last night, Kirk Herbsreit said that Oregon's offense was crafted for efficiency, not third-and-long. Well, no offense is particularly geared for third-and-long ... at least no offense that doesn't feature Colt McCoy,Jordan Shipley, and Quan Cosby."

If you had told me that one team would have 4 turnovers and the other had 1, I would have bet the retirement fund on the team with fewer turnovers and lost. CFB is nothing but unique. Here's a good breakdown of the game: http://www.footballstudyhall.com/20...regon-national-championship-score-stats-recap

It seemed to me that Ohio State did best on third down and long. All night long. I was kind of ambivalent as to who I wanted to see win. But when Oregon had 4 and goal on the 3 or 4 after making 3 yards in the previous three downs, I lost respect for the Oregon coaches when they didn't take the FG. They were only down 7 points at the time I think. Too damn arrogant / stupid of the Oregon coaching.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
More than anything, I think the lesson learned from last night's game is the value of a dominant run game. OSU pounded the football, controlled the clock, and kept ORE off the field more than they were used to. It was easy to see that the Duck's defense was DONE by the middle of Q3. ORE got 3 gift TOs, and 1 that they earned, and they still couldn't control the tempo and keep their defense fresh. If OSU just minimally takes care of the football, they might have scored 60. It was that bad. Even on the longer drives, the Ducks had the ball for under 3 minutes. That is no way to play when your defense is getting run on.
I said this in another post but I love what Myer said in an interview when asked about the counter:

When were you going to stop running that play, Meyer was asked.
“When they stopped it,” he said

Sound like anyone we know?

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
What I really enjoyed watching was the RB from Oregon getting gassed and having to go refuel on the sidelines. This hurry up reminds me of the gorgeous girl variety of eye candy that looks great but can't cook or do much else but shop. Going three and out in 48 seconds really puts pressure on the defense especially when they have to go up against a POUND THE ROCK RUNNING OFFENSE with a big offensive line. I think GT has that type of offense? GT throws the rock pretty far down the field too. I didn't Herbie comparing OSU's offense to GT's last night. He should have been saying that as we are more efficient than OSU and OU.

The Oregon defense was getting shoved back every play and several of their D-Line players were just gassed and spending more time on the sideline than the field. This "hurry up" stuff looks great when they don't have to get yards on the ground. Football always will be won in the trenches, and a good defense can stop any offense no matter what the scheme.
I was surprised at Oregon not putting pressure on a freshman QB. They ran 3 man rush on 3rd and long. Their D line seemed to be standing up, no real charge it. I thought Oregon's tackling against FSU looked good but against OSU they missed all over the place. FSU gashed Oregon running but the freshman that gashed us kept losing the ball against Oregon and not because of hard hits.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was surprised at Oregon not putting pressure on a freshman QB. They ran 3 man rush on 3rd and long. Their D line seemed to be standing up, no real charge it. I thought Oregon's tackling against FSU looked good but against OSU they missed all over the place. FSU gashed Oregon running but the freshman that gashed us kept losing the ball against Oregon and not because of hard hits.

I agree that Oregon wasn't blitzing and their DL was staying home. There were a few times that Ohio State QB ran on 3rs and long and made it. So the DL was staying home to prevent the QB run ...... any time a team can run or pass, they are going to score a lot like 5.25 points per opportunity. What was totally insane to me was how much better Ohio State was on passing downs (3rd and long) than on standard downs (like 1st and 10). The measure of how explosive and effective Ohio State was on the passing downs was more than double the standard downs. (ISOPP for standard .60 and passing 1.44) http://www.footballstudyhall.com/20...regon-national-championship-score-stats-recap

Same thing happened in Ohio State against Alabama. Ohio State made the big plays when they needed them. Not a recipe for long term success to get into the bad situations, but Ohio State made it work. It made me appreciate our boring (tic) offense even more.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Concerning third and long from Bill Connelly; "At one point last night, Kirk Herbsreit said that Oregon's offense was crafted for efficiency, not third-and-long. Well, no offense is particularly geared for third-and-long ... at least no offense that doesn't feature Colt McCoy,Jordan Shipley, and Quan Cosby."

If you had told me that one team would have 4 turnovers and the other had 1, I would have bet the retirement fund on the team with fewer turnovers and lost. CFB is nothing but unique. Here's a good breakdown of the game: http://www.footballstudyhall.com/20...regon-national-championship-score-stats-recap

It seemed to me that Ohio State did best on third down and long. All night long. I was kind of ambivalent as to who I wanted to see win. But when Oregon had 4 and goal on the 3 or 4 after making 3 yards in the previous three downs, I lost respect for the Oregon coaches when they didn't take the FG. They were only down 7 points at the time I think. Too damn arrogant / stupid of the Oregon coaching.
Nice, I love Connelly's stuff.