Oregon and Time to Prepare

CPJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Wonder if they'll start getting hammered like Tech for their ability to win when other teams have time to prepare for them. Their track record is suspect and on much larger stages, while hopefully ours is rehabbing.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
I heard Herbie say the dreaded phrase that makes all good Tech fans cringe in horror, yet he said it about Oregon....

"3rd and long, they're not built for that..."

I heard that too. I guess it proves that GT is not the only team in the country that gets that label hung on them. Apparently, any team that does not run a power-I, pro-set offense is not built for third and long. I think it just becomes something for announcers to say as they don't seem to back it up with any statistics or graphics that illustrate the point.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well, OSU only had a couple of days extra to prepare. FSU had 3 weeks to prepare, and Oregon beat the snot out them.

OSU is just a really good team that also has a "specialized" offense...so one of the teams with a "specialized" offense was going to win.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
1) OSU dominated the LOS
2) Oregon had no running game
3) Oregon's offense didn't establish any rythym
4) OSU looked impressive, 3rd string QB and all ... plus its a young team coming back next year

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
1) OSU dominated the LOS
2) Oregon had no running game
3) Oregon's offense didn't establish any rythym
4) OSU looked impressive, 3rd string QB and all ... plus its a young team coming back next year
OSU was equally impressive on defense as it was on offense. They actually reminded me of us on offense with that relentless running game characterized by precise yet physical blocking up front and timely, although more frequent, passing. Their defense was head and shoulders bettern' ours.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
1) OSU dominated the LOS

Urban Meyer has flat out said that's one thing he learned from his time in the SEC. You have to recruit stud guys at the LOS that aren't just big, but athletic and fast. That was his first priority when he took the OSU job...recruiting the best OL an DLs he could. It's been said that OSU's team is modeled after SEC teams.

We saw when Marcus Mariota, not exactly a statue drop back QB, was being chased for his life by the OSU DL all game. Also, while fans were awed at the RB Elliott and QB Jones, analysts were awed by OSU's OL just absolutely owning Oregon's DL. Jones had all day to throw, and Elliott had some nice lanes to run through...though he did have some nice yards after contact.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Actually, since tOSU's spring term didn't begin until yesterday, the NCAA's 20-practice hour ceiling did NOT apply to the Buckeyes last week, so they did have a prep-time advantage not enjoyed by Oregon, thanks to the two schools' respective academic calendars and the loophole in the NCAA rules (which tOSU could legitimately exploit).
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...h-unlimited-practice-time-oregon-not-so-much/
and
http://espn.go.com/college-football...ollege-football-playoff-national-championship

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
I heard Herbie say the dreaded phrase that makes all good Tech fans cringe in horror, yet he said it about Oregon....

"3rd and long, they're not built for that..."

The title of this thread is awesome.

Teams with aggressive 11 x 11 running games have been better on 3rd and 6 or more than pro-style teams this season, or at least in big games. GT vs. Georgia, Ohio State vs. Alabama etc.

But Oregon's problem is that their tempo is really screwed by a negative play on 1st or 2nd down. When GT gets a 2nd and 13 you can just get a pitch for 10 and a fullback carry for 5, piece of cake. But at Oregon they usually have to change the play call, which takes time, and suddenly the defense has a chance to substitute.

We'll see now if the Ducks coaches make an adjustment and start sticking to the script no matter what the down/distance, like Bill Walsh used to do.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
On another blog I asked a rhetorical question the day before the championship game. I said, if Ohio State beats Oregon how long will it take for people to use the same talking point that was used last year, ie, "The reason FSU (Ohio State) won is because they are basically an SEC team?" No matter that the real SEC has been shut out of the championship two years in a row, they still end up controlling the narrative because ESS. EEE. CEE.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
On another blog I asked a rhetorical question the day before the championship game. I said, if Ohio State beats Oregon how long will it take for people to use the same talking point that was used last year, ie, "The reason FSU (Ohio State) won is because they are basically an SEC team?" No matter that the real SEC has been shut out of the championship two years in a row, they still end up controlling the narrative because ESS. EEE. CEE.
They are certainly built from the same mold as the premiere SEC teams. Just look at coaching salaries, AA budget, student enrollment, size of fanbase, size of stadium, undergraduate programs for SA's, recruiting rankings, etc.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Tech got those comments mostly because of our bowl record before this year. Oregon won 4 bowl games in a row before this game and their offense really wasn't that bad last night.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I see Georgia Boys Raekwon McMillian and Von Bell out there. Urban Myer can straight up recruit.
He went back to his Utah roots some with the power running back. His backs at Florida were more about speed. Looked a lot like Cam Newton's Auburn team.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I see Georgia Boys Raekwon McMillian and Von Bell out there. Urban Myer can straight up recruit.
He went back to his Utah roots some with the power running back. His backs at Florida were more about speed. Looked a lot like Cam Newton's Auburn team.

Did you see Mariota's reaction when Bell hit him as Mariota was making for the sideline in the first quarter? Mariota had the "Oh, sh!t, this defense is at another level" look.

Was it me, or did Mariota look slow last night? It wasn't because Mariota is slow, it's because everyone on that OSU defense is FAST.

Wonder if they'll start getting hammered like Tech for their ability to win when other teams have time to prepare for them. Their track record is suspect and on much larger stages, while hopefully ours is rehabbing.
I think the "time to prepare" concept may be out the window with this quarterback and such improved offensive line play. Justin Thomas adds a new dimension that we have not had for six seasons, i.e., a qb that can extend plays AND can throw a consistently reliable pass, AND is a legitimate threat to make a big play himself. He is the long awaited player that makes those around him better. We need to re-tool the OL, but I think we have considerable talent returning. Mississippi State looked ill-prepared for Shaq Mason and they had plenty of talent and time to prepare. Georgia had time to prepare. In addition to Justin Thomas, I think CPJ has tinkered with the system a little. Having the luxury of JT, he has a few more tricks up his sleeve. And the more plays that get on film, the more situations opposing defenses have to prepare for. Time will tell, and we get some early tests in September.