Oregon and Time to Prepare

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
A 2014 comparison between tOSU and GT of the items I posted in my previous post. (Just for fun)

...........................................................GT........................tOSU
a) Head Coach's Salary:................2.5 mil....................4.5 mil
b) AA budget (total rev)...............61.7 mil..................139.6 mil
c) student enrollment...................21,471....................57,466
d) fanbase (living alumni)..........~126,000................~500,000
e) stadium size..............................55,000...................104,944
f) typical SA degree prog..........management..............communication, sport and leisure studies
g) recruiting rankings..................mid 50's...................top 10

MidtownJacket

Staff member
@J-BR I couldn't agree more that having JeT makes a big difference for film time needed to prepare against us. It is a beautiful thing to know there are so many wrinkles that come from the same base set. It has to be MADDENING to try to prepare as a DC

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
One thing I did like about OSU's offense was their balance. Power running and good play action passing. The drops killed Oregon.

CPJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Well, OSU only had a couple of days extra to prepare. FSU had 3 weeks to prepare, and Oregon beat the snot out them.

OSU is just a really good team that also has a "specialized" offense...so one of the teams with a "specialized" offense was going to win.

I heard Herbstreit say that is morning that Saban and Meyer both made comments that the way that they had to prepare was so different than usual, which is "one game at a time". They actually prepared for each team during the long break. Saban said it reminded him of his NFL days in that respect.

That's the effect of the Playoff system on college football. I like it. Imagine the headache Tech would cause being in the final four!!!!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I have only one comment. I can't throw worth a flip. But give me the amount of time that Jones had last night and I could hit a few short ones. The guy would drop back, unpack lunch, get out his copy of Moby ****, eat a sandwich and read a chapter or two, stretch, and then throw. No wonder OSU won.

Of course, their running game helped, but the Ducks have beaten teams with running games as good as OSU's.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I heard Herbstreit say that is morning that Saban and Meyer both made comments that the way that they had to prepare was so different than usual, which is "one game at a time". They actually prepared for each team during the long break. Saban said it reminded him of his NFL days in that respect.

That's the effect of the Playoff system on college football. I like it. Imagine the headache Tech would cause being in the final four!!!!

Yup. I've always said GT's best chance at winning a national championship is in a playoff because of how much time it takes to prepare for our offense. Of course, first round games have 3 weeks to prepare. I promise you, no team wants to see CPJ's offense in a playoff environment.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One thing I did like about OSU's offense was their balance. Power running and good play action passing. The drops killed Oregon.
Balance is overrated. Look at us, we're way heavy on the run and are one of the elite offenses in college football. What really matters is keeping a defense off balance. How you do that can vary. We do it by playing option football using counters and mixing up the blocking scheme, other teams do it with balance. Eh, tomayto, tomahto.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Balance is overrated. Look at us, we're way heavy on the run and are one of the elite offenses in college football. What really matters is keeping a defense off balance. How you do that can vary. We do it by playing option football using counters and mixing up the blocking scheme, other teams do it with balance. Eh, tomayto, tomahto.

OK I prefer doing that and having more balance.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Oregon going hurry-up hurt them. Let that sink in. At one point in the first half, it seemed like they had punted about as much as we did the entire first half of the season.

Hurry up is great when it works, and it destroys your rhythm and puts a crazy strain on your defense when it doesn't. Last night, we got to see the dark side of Oregon's Offense.

BTW - why did they never show the cheerleaders?

/

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
More than anything, I think the lesson learned from last night's game is the value of a dominant run game. OSU pounded the football, controlled the clock, and kept ORE off the field more than they were used to. It was easy to see that the Duck's defense was DONE by the middle of Q3. ORE got 3 gift TOs, and 1 that they earned, and they still couldn't control the tempo and keep their defense fresh. If OSU just minimally takes care of the football, they might have scored 60. It was that bad. Even on the longer drives, the Ducks had the ball for under 3 minutes. That is no way to play when your defense is getting run on.

Animal02

Banned
Oregon going hurry-up hurt them. Let that sink in. At one point in the first half, it seemed like they had punted about as much as we did the entire first half of the season.

Hurry up is great when it works, and it destroys your rhythm and puts a crazy strain on your defense when it doesn't. Last night, we got to see the dark side of Oregon's Offense.

BTW - why did they never show the cheerleaders?

/
The hurry up works well against undisciplined defenses (like FSU) not so much against disciplined ones....and works against teams that need to substitute "packages" of players depending on down and distance.....it is not as big as a deal against substituting for "breathers". Classic example is the extra point play......FSU did not cover it properly and it cost them a 2pt conversion.....OSU covered it properly every time. (I don't understand why it is so hard......you basically need to cover each man with one of your own)

Animal02

Banned
More than anything, I think the lesson learned from last night's game is the value of a dominant run game. OSU pounded the football, controlled the clock, and kept ORE off the field more than they were used to. It was easy to see that the Duck's defense was DONE by the middle of Q3. ORE got 3 gift TOs, and 1 that they earned, and they still couldn't control the tempo and keep their defense fresh. If OSU just minimally takes care of the football, they might have scored 60. It was that bad. Even on the longer drives, the Ducks had the ball for under 3 minutes. That is no way to play when your defense is getting run on.
It would be interesting to see how our O would have matched up against OSU and Oregon's D. OSU seemed to adjust to the Duck D at the line by running a lot of traps and follows.....at least from what I recall.
Do you think the midline plays we ran in the OB would have had similar results?

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
What I really enjoyed watching was the RB from Oregon getting gassed and having to go refuel on the sidelines. This hurry up reminds me of the gorgeous girl variety of eye candy that looks great but can't cook or do much else but shop. Going three and out in 48 seconds really puts pressure on the defense especially when they have to go up against a POUND THE ROCK RUNNING OFFENSE with a big offensive line. I think GT has that type of offense? GT throws the rock pretty far down the field too. I didn't Herbie comparing OSU's offense to GT's last night. He should have been saying that as we are more efficient than OSU and OU.

The Oregon defense was getting shoved back every play and several of their D-Line players were just gassed and spending more time on the sideline than the field. This "hurry up" stuff looks great when they don't have to get yards on the ground. Football always will be won in the trenches, and a good defense can stop any offense no matter what the scheme.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
it seemed retarted to me that they kept running hurry up when the offense isn't really working that great and the other team is killing your D with the run game

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What I really enjoyed watching was the RB from Oregon getting gassed and having to go refuel on the sidelines. This hurry up reminds me of the gorgeous girl variety of eye candy that looks great but can't cook or do much else but shop. Going three and out in 48 seconds really puts pressure on the defense especially when they have to go up against a POUND THE ROCK RUNNING OFFENSE with a big offensive line. I think GT has that type of offense? GT throws the rock pretty far down the field too. I didn't Herbie comparing OSU's offense to GT's last night. He should have been saying that as we are more efficient than OSU and OU.

The Oregon defense was getting shoved back every play and several of their D-Line players were just gassed and spending more time on the sideline than the field. This "hurry up" stuff looks great when they don't have to get yards on the ground. Football always will be won in the trenches, and a good defense can stop any offense no matter what the scheme.
I remember that CPJ studied the Oregon approach a couple of years or so ago and concluded that the down side of getting off the field too quickly and putting your defense repeatedly on the field negated any advantage you might have offensively. I like that Tech can score quickly now but can also slow it down and give the defense a rest. It seems to me to be the best of both worlds.