Option Football

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Gotta say, you're someone whose opinion I totally respect.

You really think it would be easy to negatively recruit against Chadwell's option? I'm curious because it looks nothing like the other so-called options out there (Flexbone, primarily). And it involves a lot of passing. In fact, to my (admittedly uneducated fan's) eye, it looks much more like a standard RPO.
It's just a hybrid and they throw it 285 yards a game. I doubt there will be much if any effect on recruiting. It's not like half the potential recruits are going to immediately mark us off the list just because the word "option" appears in the name of our offensive scheme. It will have nowhere near the effect Paul's TO had. Even that wasn't the root of our recruiting woes, anyway.

JacketFan137

Banned
On this we are in violent agreement. And I am glad we can use a different term than scheme since that seems to trigger some people...Besides, gameday coaching also covers basics like using time outs better, in game adjustments, etc...which C****** also sucked at
scheme means option 9/10 times on here except for the 1 time a month someone hypes up the air raid. i think people just like the word cause it sounds smart, but it’s typically followed up by “we can’t run what everyone else runs and expect to win”. which kills me because if you think bama, clemson and ohio state run the same “scheme” your opinion on football x’s and o’s is about as valuable to us as a signed waffle house cup from collins

we need a good coach that is good at a multitude of things and somehow that’s controversial. unfortunately there is a negative perception of the option for some people and whether fair or not that is something to be cautious about before we hire someone.

this is why there is so much recruiting talk in this thread and it should not be removed. unless this thread is titled option x’s and o’s, you cannot discuss option football in the context of our future coach without talking about recruiting

chadwell i think could change the offense enough to recruit well but i still have my doubts that perception will change and i have a LOT of questions about his staff if he’s really married to his current staff as has been whispered on here.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
i think collins failure to win ultimately cost him the recruiting bump he found in 2020. had he followed up a top 25 class with even a 7-5 season he would have found a little momentum.

we have to excel at both gameday coaching (scheme has been bastardized to the point of no return here so i’m not using that) and recruiting if we want to win against our rivals in the near future. we aren’t going to do it with just one
I’m not so sure. I am not a recruiting guy, but trying to understand...
2019 top 10 QB prospects:
By my count, THREE remain with the team that recruited them and are making contributions to those teams.
2018 and 2020 look similar (although I admit there are a couple of 2020 guys who haven’t left their school and might still contribute). Still, it won’t be more than four.
So if the hit rate there is 30-35%, you have to land 3-4 of those guys to keep one. The other unignorable fact is there are about 5-6 teams that have a lock on these guys.
It seems a long shot to land one in the first place if your not tOSU, Bama, Ugag, clemson, etc.
Getting one and keeping one is an even longer shot.
It seems a little strange to put so much emphasis on such an unreliable and volatile variable if you’re not one of the big 5-6 programs.
I don’t hate recruiting in the same way that you don’t hate the option.
;) I recognize it is important and we ought to get the best we can but how realistic is it that we can consistently grab top 20 classes? I’ve seen us out preform our recruiting many times to yield top 20 performance. I’ve never seen is recruit at top 20 levels.
Maybe we can but it feels like pipedream.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
We recruited well enough on offense under CPJ to regularly be among the top offenses in the country. And that's with the ostensibly worst possible offense for recruiting players.
Is the idea that a shotgun option offense going to be *worse* for recruiting than the flexbone was? Or is the idea that Chadwell couldn't put up great offensive performances with the likes of Justin Thomas, Deandre Smelter, Stephen Hill, Dedrick Mills, etc? It's hard to understand what y'all are saying about negative recruiting and its effect on the actual product.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We recruited well enough on offense under CPJ to regularly be among the top offenses in the country. And that's with the ostensibly worst possible offense for recruiting players.
Is the idea that a shotgun option offense going to be *worse* for recruiting than the flexbone was?
I wouldn't say it's a complete non-issue, but "option" is often abused as an overhyped buzz word, much like the word "transition". Much sound and fury, signifying little. Very few recruits are going to shy away from Chadwell's hybrid, and the advantage gained on the field is going to dwarf any possible downside.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Is the idea that a shotgun option offense going to be *worse* for recruiting than the flexbone was? Or is the idea that Chadwell couldn't put up great offensive performances with the likes of Justin Thomas, Deandre Smelter, Stephen Hill, Dedrick Mills, etc? It's hard to understand what y'all are saying about negative recruiting and its effect on the actual product.

While I agree with what you are saying, I would add that CPJ wasn't an ordinary option HC/OC. He was the master of his craft, and I don't know how close any of his disciples are in terms of comparison. Chadwell may or may not be the best possible hire for GT, but I don't know if he's as adept at his offense and making it work as CPJ was with his.

Either way, I'm already the new HCs biggest fan. At least until game 2....

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yes. It’s my biggest hesitation on Chadwell. I know Chadwell runs a zone blocking based scheme, but I’m not a casual or impressionable recruit. Just listen to the game last week vs. AppSt and count how many times triple option was attached to his offense with even running it.

He would immediately walk in with an arm tied behind his back in recruiting just on perception alone. This is my perspective and a few SC High coaches i still talk to
Tape doesn’t lie. Just show the kids the tape and if they have eyes they can see for themselves. If they make life decisions based on false perceptions that are easily and obviously debunked on film, we don’t need that type of kid anyway.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
When got influencers and respected guys say this, you are already coming with one arm tied behind your back

Since when is what Wake does "the option". They have a handoff option read on a lot of plays, but does that make it "the option". Also, you can refute the tweet's claim pretty easily:
1668095123117.png

(Sam Hartman's stats per ESPN)
Also the tweet was during the Wake v Clemson game where Hartman went 20/29 with 6 TDs and 0 INTs and a QBR of 93.2.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Since when is what Wake does "the option". They have a handoff option read on a lot of plays, but does that make it "the option". Also, you can refute the tweet's claim pretty easily:
View attachment 13491
(Sam Hartman's stats per ESPN)
Also the tweet was during the Wake v Clemson game where Hartman went 20/29 with 6 TDs and 0 INTs and a QBR of 93.2.
His argument (@Ibeeballin) is based on people's PERCEPTION, not the reality. When you put yourself in a position where you are having to overcome a negative first impression (rightly or wrongly) it's like trying to get the pretty girl to go on a date with you when others have told her you're a jerk. OK, a lousy analogy, but the point is, you don't want to start off behind...

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
His argument (@Ibeeballin) is based on people's PERCEPTION, not the reality. When you put yourself in a position where you are having to overcome a negative first impression (rightly or wrongly) it's like trying to get the pretty girl to go on a date with you when others have told her you're a jerk. OK, a lousy analogy, but the point is, you don't want to start off behind...
If a coach gets the right players to execute his offense effectively and wins, who cares what the idiots on Twitter or ugag fans are saying. It was ego that led us to fire Gailey when they were making fun of us that we could not beat ugag. Then, it was ego that led us to push out CPJ when they made fun of our "high school offense." Now, we are worried about how others are going to frame an highly effective offense that may stop us from hiring the potentially best hire. We need to stop letting our ego get in the way of making good decisions.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
If the pretty girl is that influenced by idiots then you probably don't want to date her anyway...

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
When got influencers and respected guys say this, you are already coming with one arm tied behind your back

This exactly the point I was making about 3-4 pages back. Regardless of what "scheme" Chadwell runs, I have concerns that he and his staff can recruit to the levels to compete with Clemson and FSU.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Tape doesn’t lie. Just show the kids the tape and if they have eyes they can see for themselves. If they make life decisions based on false perceptions that are easily and obviously debunked on film, we don’t need that type of kid anyway.

You’re absolutely right. Film doesn’t lie

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Well, the new HC will likely have the same issues. Winning is not going to be easy here. At best, we will likely be a 5-6 win team next year, assuming we can keep enough of the talent currently on our team out of the portal. With the HC change, you likely have another lost recruiting class this year. Since we might be a couple more years away from winning football, will the new HC be able to recruit well enough to make that big a difference in a short time? Are any of the potential HC hires better recruiters than Collins was?
Slightly off topic, but if we can’t find some linebackers to replace the 2 seniors we are losing, it may not matter what offense we run. That’s the glaring hole looking at us after this season.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
It’s not hard at all. Chadwell scheme doesn’t prepare guys for next level particularly at certain positions. Same way future engineers come to Tech to be developed so they can perform amongst the top best in their field and athletes want the same

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Slightly off topic, but if we can’t find some linebackers to replace the 2 seniors we are losing, it may not matter what offense we run. That’s the glaring hole looking at us after this season.
LB is definitely a big concern going into next year, particularly with Eley and Thomas being as good as they have been. Tatum should step up and do fine, but we have almost no experience beyond that. There was mention of Franks entering the portal a while back, did that actually happen or was it just a rumor? Of course, Demetrius Knight is in the portal, though could theoretically return under the new staff. Either way I think the portal will need to bring us a LB or 2.