Option Football

CEB

Helluva Engineer
When got influencers and respected guys say this, you are already coming with one arm tied behind your back

What does this even mean?
Hartman is a bad QB?
Wake Forest is running an offense deliberately to make him a bad QB?
Is this guy going to turn his guys away from WF at all cost because Wake is crushing QB dreams?
There are 32 NFL teams and 120+ FBS (250+ D1) college teams... are all of them supposed to be developmental programs for NFL prototype QBs?
College coaches have one motivation - win college football games. This guy may be very successful and respected but it does not seem that his goals align with the vast majority of college coaches.
I read between the lines of your post... you don’t commit to a system that “disincentivizes” all of that “NFL” talent... but the fact of the matter is that the vast majority of programs can’t sniff those guys regardless of what they’re doing. They have to find another way to be competitive. Silly to fault them for it.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
What does this even mean?
Hartman is a bad QB?
Wake Forest is running an offense deliberately to make him a bad QB?
Is this guy going to turn his guys away from WF at all cost because Wake is crushing QB dreams?
There are 32 NFL teams and 120+ FBS (250+ D1) college teams... are all of them supposed to be developmental programs for NFL prototype QBs?
College coaches have one motivation - win college football games. This guy may be very successful and respected but it does not seem that his goals align with the vast majority of college coaches.
I read between the lines of your post... you don’t commit to a system that “disincentivizes” all of that “NFL” talent... but the fact of the matter is that the vast majority of programs can’t sniff those guys regardless of what they’re doing. They have to find another way to be competitive. Silly to fault them for it.
I read Ibeeballin’s post as reinforcing JacketFan137’s post, which is all about how perception is important as opposed to truth. If influencers a) think you run the option, and b) therefore you can’t develop a QB for the NFL, it doesn’t matter if they are correct or not, you will have a harder time attracting top QB recruits.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The term “option” seems to have become a hugely negative term for some. Never mind that the standard college offense these days is the RPO, which happens to stand for OPTION. Everyone runs option. Literally everyone. Just in different forms.

What in hades are you people talking about to claim the option is bad or will have negative impact on recruiting? Makes NO sense….

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I read Ibeeballin’s post as reinforcing JacketFan137’s post, which is all about how perception is important as opposed to truth. If influencers a) think you run the option, and b) therefore you can’t develop a QB for the NFL, it doesn’t matter if they are correct or not, you will have a harder time attracting top QB recruits.
I get that... my point is that the programs that already know they won’t get that recruit need to find another way to compete. It’s silly for 120 programs to build around a NFL stud prospect when there are only a handful of them to go around in any given year. Why build a program around pieces you don’t and won’t have?
I’ll admit, I still buy lottery tickets occasionally... but I know it’s futile and I try to make other future financial plans.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Everyone runs option. That’s what RPO is. That’s what Bama rubs, Ole Miss runs, LSU runs, etc etc etc

Option doesn’t dissuade anybody. Wishbone or Flexbone.…yeah…but “option”? No, everyone runs it. Except teams like UGa where the QB doesn’t ever really run.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Everyone runs option. That’s what RPO is. That’s what Bama rubs, Ole Miss runs, LSU runs, etc etc etc

Option doesn’t dissuade anybody. Wishbone or Flexbone.…yeah…but “option”? No, everyone runs it. Except teams like UGa where the QB doesn’t ever really run.
I don't disagree with your point, but it is tangential to the point Ibeeballin was making, which is that perception trumps facts in this case.

JacketFan137

Banned
We are comparing G5 recruiting to G5 recruiting, there is no leap at all. Kiffin should have been able to recruit well above Chadwell with all his P5 and NFL experience, but he didn't. Try making an honest argument for once in your life.
he did recruit well though. he just attacked it through the portal instead of high school kids something chadwell has not come close to replicating.

no need for the comment at the end big bro. you always try to start things whenever you disagree. calm down

JacketFan137

Banned
When got influencers and respected guys say this, you are already coming with one arm tied behind your back

yeah whether fair or not people think that. while we are tech fans who have defended the option, unfortunately a lot of people do not want to play in this system because of the perceptions that are passed down from all levels of football

we can gloss over it and continue to rally the troops in here with the same arguments about sending a handful of receivers to the nfl, and how other teams run option plays but if you are in an option offense a lot of people will be scared away and frankly the average high school football player knows way less about option football than many users on here. most of these kids were in elementary school the last time an option team under paul johnson was nationally relevant, and even then we weren’t dominating air time like teams running hurry up no huddle spreads and rpo’s. all they know is what they are gonna hear from media/opposing coaches

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

So then, since everyone runs the option, and we need to run a scheme that not everyone runs to give us an advantage, we should not run the option right?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
So then, since everyone runs the option, and we need to run a scheme that not everyone runs to give us an advantage, we should not run the option right?

Puss In Boots Cat GIF

CEB

Helluva Engineer
yeah whether fair or not people think that. while we are tech fans who have defended the option, unfortunately a lot of people do not want to play in this system because of the perceptions that are passed down from all levels of football

we can gloss over it and continue to rally the troops in here with the same arguments about sending a handful of receivers to the nfl, and how other teams run option plays but if you are in an option offense a lot of people will be scared away and frankly the average high school football player knows way less about option football than many users on here. most of these kids were in elementary school the last time an option team under paul johnson was nationally relevant, and even then we weren’t dominating air time like teams running hurry up no huddle spreads and rpo’s. all they know is what they are gonna hear from media/opposing coaches
Got it.
Well, before we hire the next guy, someone please throw the playbook on Twitter to make sure no one has anything negative to say! (y)

JacketFan137

Banned
Got it.
Well, before we hire the next guy, someone please throw the playbook on Twitter to make sure no one has anything negative to say! (y)
y’all say this like it’s just a few silly people on the internet saying these things and not coaches and players all over the country pushing the message

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
My thoughts on this are it's not really going to be different no matter which offensive philosophy we choose. If we choose anything even remotely perceived as "option," we will have a stigma that will limit recruiting. That is most likely true. We will, however, likely have a scheme advantage that will keep us competitive in most games. If we choose to go NFL lite, or whatever you want to call a non-"option" offense, we will no longer have a stigma as an "option" team, but recruiting will most likely not be substantially better than it was the last 3-4 years, which, one class aside, hasn't been significantly more improved over the CPJ years. We will be competitive against most teams with similar talent and, just like if we went "option" we will likely lose to the factories routinely.

Collins was the best recruiter we've had on campus in a long time, and while he got some good athletes to commit, he wasn't exactly killing it here. If we choose to go NFL lite and recruiting, we need to ensure that there is sufficient funds to run an operation that will be attractive to recruits as well as ensuring we have high quality assistants that can develop these players.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
y’all say this like it’s just a few silly people on the internet saying these things and not coaches and players all over the country pushing the message
You remember mad libs?
Opinions are like _______, everybody has got one.
:ROFLMAO:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Gotta say, you're someone whose opinion I totally respect.

You really think it would be easy to negatively recruit against Chadwell's option? I'm curious because it looks nothing like the other so-called options out there (Flexbone, primarily). And it involves a lot of passing. In fact, to my (admittedly uneducated fan's) eye, it looks much more like a standard RPO.

JacketFan137

Banned
My thoughts on this are it's not really going to be different no matter which offensive philosophy we choose. If we choose anything even remotely perceived as "option," we will have a stigma that will limit recruiting. That is most likely true. We will, however, likely have a scheme advantage that will keep us competitive in most games. If we choose to go NFL lite, or whatever you want to call a non-"option" offense, we will no longer have a stigma as an "option" team, but recruiting will most likely not be substantially better than it was the last 3-4 years, which, one class aside, hasn't been significantly more improved over the CPJ years. We will be competitive against most teams with similar talent and, just like if we went "option" we will likely lose to the factories routinely.

Collins was the best recruiter we've had on campus in a long time, and while he got some good athletes to commit, he wasn't exactly killing it here. If we choose to go NFL lite and recruiting, we need to ensure that there is sufficient funds to run an operation that will be attractive to recruits as well as ensuring we have high quality assistants that can develop these players.
i think collins failure to win ultimately cost him the recruiting bump he found in 2020. had he followed up a top 25 class with even a 7-5 season he would have found a little momentum.

we have to excel at both gameday coaching (scheme has been bastardized to the point of no return here so i’m not using that) and recruiting if we want to win against our rivals in the near future. we aren’t going to do it with just one

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
we have to excel at both gameday coaching (scheme has been bastardized to the point of no return here so i’m not using that) and recruiting if we want to win against our rivals in the near future. we aren’t going to do it with just one
On this we are in violent agreement. And I am glad we can use a different term than scheme since that seems to trigger some people...Besides, gameday coaching also covers basics like using time outs better, in game adjustments, etc...which C****** also sucked at

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
i think collins failure to win ultimately cost him the recruiting bump he found in 2020. had he followed up a top 25 class with even a 7-5 season he would have found a little momentum.

Well, the new HC will likely have the same issues. Winning is not going to be easy here. At best, we will likely be a 5-6 win team next year, assuming we can keep enough of the talent currently on our team out of the portal. With the HC change, you likely have another lost recruiting class this year. Since we might be a couple more years away from winning football, will the new HC be able to recruit well enough to make that big a difference in a short time? Are any of the potential HC hires better recruiters than Collins was?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Gotta say, you're someone whose opinion I totally respect.

You really think it would be easy to negatively recruit against Chadwell's option? I'm curious because it looks nothing like the other so-called options out there (Flexbone, primarily). And it involves a lot of passing. In fact, to my (admittedly uneducated fan's) eye, it looks much more like a standard RPO.

Yes. It’s my biggest hesitation on Chadwell. I know Chadwell runs a zone blocking based scheme, but I’m not a casual or impressionable recruit. Just listen to the game last week vs. AppSt and count how many times triple option was attached to his offense with even running it.

He would immediately walk in with an arm tied behind his back in recruiting just on perception alone. This is my perspective and a few SC High coaches i still talk to