Option Football

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Do you think we'd get a ton of negative recruiting related to the 'option' again? I don't think we need high-level recruiting, but we need to average two-to-three 4* types a year to be upper echelon ACC no matter how good the coach, I imagine.

That's my only worry about Chadwell...that it'll be an easy place to go for negative recruiting. It's what TFFG tried to overcome with all of his 'elite, developmental, pro-style' hype (and that didn't work after year one, it appears.)

The Eagles now run the triple option at least 20% of snaps and are undefeated. It was the way in which we ran the triple option that was negatively recruited. Tim Hallseback has a nice piece that was on ESPN last night and even joked “Maybe Paul Johnson is calling plays for the Eagles”

Last edited:

JacketFan137

Banned
The Eagles now run the triple option at least 20% of snaps and are undefeated. It was the way in which we ran the triple option that was negatively recruited. Tim Hallseback has a nice piece that was on ESPN last night and even joked “Maybe Paul Johnson is calling plays for the Eagles”

calling these plays triple option plays may technically be correct because there are in fact 3 options but these are RPOs and not really like what we were doing with our option offense under paul.

this is closer to chadwell’s offense

Eli

Helluva Engineer
calling these plays triple option plays may technically be correct because there are in fact 3 options but these are RPOs and not really like what we were doing with our option offense under paul.

this is closer to chadwell’s offense

Okay, so in your expertise what reads are different? When Philadelphia runs a counter what defensive player are they reading? When they run a triple what defensive player are they reading? You think they are different but they are very much the same. The only difference is blocking schemes, but even Paul changed his blocking schemes late his career to be very similar

JacketFan137

Banned
Okay, so in your expertise what reads are different?
fundamentally the “pitch man” is just not the same since it’s a pass play.

at the end of the day it is all semantics but this was something we lacked with paul johnson’s offense and should have have been implemented. i just don’t think our qbs outside of thomas were consistent enough passers to run anything like this

Eli

Helluva Engineer

at the end of the day it is all semantics but this was something we lacked with paul johnson’s offense and should have have been implemented. i just don’t think our qbs outside of thomas were consistent enough passers to run anything like this
The “pitch man” is not a read. What defender must the quarterback read that tells him to pitch or keep the ball? This answer will vary depending upon who we decide to block on a certain play. The fundamentals of the offense are the same and it’s why I get a kick out of you and other posters calling Chadwell, Clawson and Chadwell a “gimmick” when it’s truly is lack of understanding what the triple option is.

stigs02jrt

Banned
Chadwell fans: please note that this guy is an unknown name amongst high level recruits; he's not going to be able to move the needle on recruiting period. He might spread option, but better athletes with some basic understanding of assignment football will stop this (sound familiar from when you ran off CPJ?). Deion or a bigger name is all we should aim for. If we can't get that (probably can't), then maybe we stick with Key and get lucky like we did with oleary.

JacketFan137

Banned
Chadwell fans: please note that this guy is an unknown name amongst high level recruits; he's not going to be able to move the needle on recruiting period. He might spread option, but better athletes with some basic understanding of assignment football will stop this (sound familiar from when you ran off CPJ?). Deion or a bigger name is all we should aim for. If we can't get that (probably can't), then maybe we stick with Key and get lucky like we did with oleary.
i would still have chadwell as one of my top choices even though i think deion is a much more intriguing option.

chadwells recruiting is a major concern that seems to go by the way side from the vocal chadwell believers. this should be just as big of a concern as deions lack of head coaching experience but i think it gets a pass because he runs a “scheme”. while that is enough to handle g5 teams if he wants to be a serious p5 coach he will need to learn to recruit or supplement his staff with quality coaches and from what has been rumored idk if he wants to do that

Eli

Helluva Engineer

I disagree. I think if we go Chadwell he will have the big money support as that seems to be what Cabrera and Batt want is full support behind a guy. If Paul had the money to spend that even Collins had he would still be here.

Eli

Helluva Engineer

Also to note; you will not hear those same things you did with PJ simply because he is out of shotgun. Paul could have ran the wishbone from the shotgun and it would be revolutionary in some peoples eyes even if it didn’t work

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Also to note; you will not hear those same things you did with PJ simply because he is out of shotgun. Paul could have ran the wishbone from the shotgun and it would be revolutionary in some peoples eyes even if it didn’t work

Chadwells QBs also pass for a lot of yards. Not Air Raid level yardage, but way more than CPJ's QBs did. His offense is very unique in that he marries spread option running with RPO passing.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Chadwells QBs also pass for a lot of yards. Not Air Raid level yardage, but way more than CPJ's QBs did. His offense is very unique in that he marries spread option running with RPO passing.

Agree. It will not receive the “triple option” press PJ did. Even though it’s exactly what he runs.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

I was listening to NFL Radio a few weeks back and Hall of Fame executive Bill Polian was talking about how the triple option, and yes he used those words, is part of a number of offensive playbooks in the NFL. He pointed out the Bills and the Eagles and a couple of others.

Also I've watched a couple of Ole Miss games and the announcers pointed out several times how they run a lot of triple option and I've heard it sprinkled around in other national TV broadcasts of other college football games lately.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Why Deion? He would probably bring in a splash of marketing and an influx of recruits when he came. When he left, he would take the marketing and all of the good players with him wherever he went to. It would be a splash when he arrived, but we might still not win games. When he left it would create a vacuum larger than there is now.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

We actually had a play that is similar its just the launch point was different.

The BB smoke route combo. It was a presnap read though which was the traditional RPO and it was built into one of the calls. JT woudl line up look at the defense on a dive play and throw the 5 yard smoke to the outside reciever if the corner lined up with outside leverage and in man otherwise hand off to BB on dive or run midline.

stigs02jrt

Banned
Why Deion? He would probably bring in a splash of marketing and an influx of recruits when he came. When he left, he would take the marketing and all of the good players with him wherever he went to. It would be a splash when he arrived, but we might still not win games. When he left it would create a vacuum larger than there is now.
Why Deion? Because recruiting is what college FB is all about, especially if we're trying to beat Georgia. Even if he leaves after 3-4 years, I'll take the temporary shot of adrenaline 😁

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Why Deion? Because recruiting is what college FB is all about, especially if we're trying to beat Georgia. Even if he leaves after 3-4 years, I'll take the temporary shot of adrenaline 😁
Nobody knows how he can coach. Miami has been an example for a very long time of top ten recruiting and mediocre results. Deion is winning at an HBCU because the talent level difference he has there is like a P5 team playing an FCS school. His coaching might be good, but we can't tell.

Beating the mutts on a consistent basis will require top notch recruiting and top notch coaching.

I think Deion would be more like heroin. We might get a high, but then we would crash lower than we are now.