Option Football

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. I think if we go Chadwell he will have the big money support as that seems to be what Cabrera and Batt want is full support behind a guy. If Paul had the money to spend that even Collins had he would still be here.
What I've understood from people inside of FB is the really good kids did not want to play in a wishbone/flexbone type offense. Yes there are always an exception or two here and there, IE Thomas.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
What I've understood from people inside of FB is the really good kids did not want to play in a wishbone/flexbone type offense. Yes there are always an exception or two here and there, IE Thomas.
wishbone does NOT equal option. (nor does flexbone).

Too many people on this site immediately think about CPJ's triple option offense when anyone mentions option, but there are w WIDE variety of option offenses and as this thread shows, the NFL uses option offense as well.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Why Deion? Because recruiting is what college FB is all about, especially if we're trying to beat Georgia. Even if he leaves after 3-4 years, I'll take the temporary shot of adrenaline 😁
And this is where I disagree 100%

Recruiting is not what it’s all about and it does not make for a successful program. If it does, God help us, because we will never beat UGA again. Or UNC, FSU, ND, Clemson, Miami.... they all out recruit us and will continue to.
A quick shot in the arm might be exciting for a couple of years, but we’ll be empty again when it’s over. It could also be disaster.
We need a successful, sustainable program to recruit to and retain recruits. Retention is going to be huge for us; bigger than recruiting itself. Signing stars isn’t worth a damn thing if we can’t keep them and can’t coach them. There are examples of this up and down the college football landscape.

stigs02jrt

Banned
And this is where I disagree 100%

Recruiting is not what it’s all about and it does not make for a successful program. If it does, God help us, because we will never beat UGA again. Or UNC, FSU, ND, Clemson, Miami.... they all out recruit us and will continue to.
A quick shot in the arm might be exciting for a couple of years, but we’ll be empty again when it’s over. It could also be disaster.
We need a successful, sustainable program to recruit to and retain recruits. Retention is going to be huge for us; bigger than recruiting itself. Signing stars isn’t worth a damn thing if we can’t keep them and can’t coach them. There are examples of this up and down the college football landscape.
They all out recruit us, which is why they all BEAT US. See the pattern? Cross reference the current top 25 with the recruiting rankings over the past few years. The correlation is obvious.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
They all out recruit us, which is why they all BEAT US. See the pattern? Cross reference the current top 25 with the recruiting rankings over the past few years. The correlation is obvious.
You’re right... successful programs recruit better. Kids want to be part of a successful program.
There are far greater correlations to leadership and investment in the programs that bear future success. Recruits may put it over the top, but they don’t build it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
tried what? our last 4 years of recruiting rankings are 55, 47, 27 and 50.

What was the average star rating of those classes (rivals) or the average player rating (247) compared to the classes prior to that? I ask because we took less than 20 players in several of those classes which drives the class rankings way down since its based on the total of your best 20 recruits.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I remember the reasons ND gave for hiring GOL, they said he could recruit and he was a tough disciplinarian which they were in need of at the time. Of course now it seems to be about the money.
I'm seeing on the net that this year's portal is going to be like nothing we've seen before, supposedly going to be really wild.
Are we in a position to buy our next FB team? I don't think so, but then I don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
What was the average star rating of those classes (rivals) or the average player rating (247) compared to the classes prior to that? I ask because we took less than 20 players in several of those classes which drives the class rankings way down since its based on the total of your best 20 recruits.
That happened quite frequently before the last four years also. I seem to recall at least one year in the mid 2010s where GT only had 16 signees.

I don't trust a high-two vs low-three, nor a high-three vs low-four rating difference. I also don't trust the "gamification" scores that rank teams. I have said before that the top 5, 10, or 15 are probably all in that range, but once you get out of the top 15 teams it is a crapshoot based on inaccurate individual rankings and how many players each team takes.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Anyone who coaches an option based offense can show prospective recruits highlights from the Eagles, the Dolphins, the Ravens, and many other NFL teams of what our offense can look like and how they can get to the NFL. The suggestion that we would not be able to recruit in that offense is complete bunk. CPJ, for all his benefits, refused to play the recruiting game and tried to show he could win without recruiting. If we can get a coach like Chadwell who runs an unique offense coupled with an aggressive recruiting strategy, it could reap incredible benefits.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
That happened quite frequently before the last four years also. I seem to recall at least one year in the mid 2010s where GT only had 16 signees.

I don't trust a high-two vs low-three, nor a high-three vs low-four rating difference. I also don't trust the "gamification" scores that rank teams. I have said before that the top 5, 10, or 15 are probably all in that range, but once you get out of the top 15 teams it is a crapshoot based on inaccurate individual rankings and how many players each team takes.

I don't trust it either, but if you're going to use that data to prove a point, then make sure that data actually indicates what you are asserting it does...

stigs02jrt

Banned
2021 and 2022 we took less than 20 players. based on average player rating, we might have moved up to ~#40. Attempting to be a consistent top 25 team with that level of recruitment is a STRETCH unless we have some special type of offense. Deion would be able to get us top 25 recruiting, I believe. Can't think of any other legit GT candidate that can.

JacketFan137

Banned
Anyone who coaches an option based offense can show prospective recruits highlights from the Eagles, the Dolphins, the Ravens, and many other NFL teams of what our offense can look like and how they can get to the NFL. The suggestion that we would not be able to recruit in that offense is complete bunk. CPJ, for all his benefits, refused to play the recruiting game and tried to show he could win without recruiting. If we can get a coach like Chadwell who runs an unique offense coupled with an aggressive recruiting strategy, it could reap incredible benefits.
there is a significant difference between what the eagles and ravens (dolphins are doing absolutely nothing like an option offense) and what paul johnson did. the suggestion that you can’t recruit high ranking guys is a pretty objective truth. it is much harder to convince top athletes to come play with that offense than it is for other spread offenses. in the past decade we have like one offensive lineman in the nfl, top o line recruits are not coming to play in that offense.

getting chadwell is a risk because we can give him the benefit of the doubt about coastal not giving him resources but recruiting, just like any other aspect of coaching, is a skill that not everyone has.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
2021 and 2022 we took less than 20 players. based on average player rating, we might have moved up to ~#40. Attempting to be a consistent top 25 team with that level of recruitment is a STRETCH unless we have some special type of offense. Deion would be able to get us top 25 recruiting, I believe. Can't think of any other legit GT candidate that can.

In 2020, Per Rivals, we were 31st in average stars.
In 2021, per Rivals, we were 31st in average stars.
In 2022, per Rivals, we were 29th in average stars.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
there is a significant difference between what the eagles and ravens (dolphins are doing absolutely nothing like an option offense) and what paul johnson did. the suggestion that you can’t recruit high ranking guys is a pretty objective truth. it is much harder to convince top athletes to come play with that offense than it is for other spread offenses. in the past decade we have like one offensive lineman in the nfl, top o line recruits are not coming to play in that offense.

getting chadwell is a risk because we can give him the benefit of the doubt about coastal not giving him resources but recruiting, just like any other aspect of coaching, is a skill that not everyone has.
Its almost like the whole point is you don't need the top o-line recruits to run the offense...