One year of Nate Woody. What do we think?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
When you are GT, you must find guys that are 6'2"-6'4", but maybe only about 215-220 right now, that can grow into 240-250 to play LB. Really, the DL is just so hard to recruit to, because the guys with size and big motors are in very short supply, and like steebu said, they get gobbled up by the factories. Not sure what we are going to do on the DL to improve size/speed/depth, but there is NOTHING more important if we want to compete with the big boys.

Heck, I love Anree, but he would not even be a super large LB in the NFL. He is big enough to play outside LB, but he is not oversized in anyway, but we had him playing, out of necessity, DE.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Some sub-par position play was a result of the available talent (LB and inexperienced DB). I was disappointed with the lack of pass rush, tackling, and the pass coverage. Great encouragement from the turnovers, run D, and the aggressive effort. Overall we are slowly trending in the right direction. I would like to see a coaching upgrade for the CBs where technique seems to be an issue.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
There are lots of reasons for poor tackling in the secondary but the #1 reason is lack of speed. When Woody gets his faster players the tackling will see some improvement. In the meantime I hope our coaches work on the other reasons for poor tackling, as it is sorely needed.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
There are lots of reasons for poor tackling in the secondary but the #1 reason is lack of speed. When Woody gets his faster players the tackling will see some improvement. In the meantime I hope our coaches work on the other reasons for poor tackling, as it is sorely needed.

Sometimes its hesitation. Relearning. From dumb. To not dumb. Repetitions matter

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
On paper, it does not seem like things are too different, but for some reason I feel better about where we are headed. We still take bad angles, we still have trouble getting teams off the field on 3rd down. But I am optimistic those things will improve, and I did not think that last year.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
From the NFL:

Projections for this season show 20 starting 4-3 linebackers weighing at least 245 pounds. That's down from 41 in early 2000, despite fewer 4-3 schemes. A comparison of Pro Bowl rosters shows 4-3 linebackers declined in average weight from roughly 248 pounds to 240 since 2001.

So, it is true the average weight is coming down, but like I said, Anree would be just about the average of 240. But, as ibee said, the average is coming down. BUT, we still would rather have 260 on the DE's with the same motor. If we are going to run the 3-4, I would want our inside LB's to weight around 240 with motors, and the outside guys anywhere between 215-230. If I had my druthers.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
The defense was far less than impressing but I believe it’s early to form an opinion on him. It could be his play calling and it could be the talent but if CPJ stays around I guess we’ll see over the next couple of years how good he is. My only opinion on him as of now is that if Satterfield lands a job somewhere else this offseason, I believe Woody will be one of if not his first phone call to join him and I would have to believe he would follow Satt.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
From the NFL:

Projections for this season show 20 starting 4-3 linebackers weighing at least 245 pounds. That's down from 41 in early 2000, despite fewer 4-3 schemes. A comparison of Pro Bowl rosters shows 4-3 linebackers declined in average weight from roughly 248 pounds to 240 since 2001.

So, it is true the average weight is coming down, but like I said, Anree would be just about the average of 240. But, as ibee said, the average is coming down. BUT, we still would rather have 260 on the DE's with the same motor. If we are going to run the 3-4, I would want our inside LB's to weight around 240 with motors, and the outside guys anywhere between 215-230. If I had my druthers.

I mean, I'd like the whole defense to be 375 lbs and run 4.4 40's, but if I'm choosing speed OR size, give me speed.