One year of Nate Woody. What do we think?

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I wanted to see more blitzing than I saw this year, but I think it was more implementation delays vs strategy.

I also don't know how much of our coverage issues were due to experienced players from the Roof regime. We seemed to try to cover the whole field, which meant we covered none of it. CBs bailed too often which left the 15 yard out open all day, every day. These should be the routes cover 3 eats for breakfast.

I think we've got potentially the best secondary we've had since the Tenuta days coming back for another 2-3 years and we keep adding talent. DL may be a concern next year with the snaps we lose. I think Charlie will be a really good OLB for us. Need to shore up the MLB position, and I'm really hoping we close on Pettway and Glenn.

We were going to take a step back this year with Roof. He had a bunch of senior starters last year, and still couldn't break top 50 in team defense. I think we took less of a step back this year, with strong hope for the future

I'm like almost everyone else: I liked the changes that resulted in turnovers, didn't care for the lack of a pass rush, see the need for improved tackling, think there's only so much CNW can do if we don't recruit better, and definitely think he needs another year or 2 to come to a more-complete conclusion on his Defense.

Grade: C+

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I've said my piece on Woody's D elsewhere, but I have to warn people about this.

If his history as a DC is any indication, Woody likes DLs that are smaller then what we had this year. He likes them "agile, mobile, and hostile" as Jake Gaither used to say. His perfect DL would be three St. Amours. I said in a recruiting thread that a lot of the young men we are recruiting as LBs out of high school might very well end up as DLs. It's speed uber alles for Woody. And, yes, we will blitz more in the future, imho; again, if history is any indication, Woody is Jerry Glanville on that.

That’s not true.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2018/8/14/football-10strong-series-defensive-line-preview.aspx

I'm like almost everyone else: I liked the changes that resulted in turnovers, didn't care for the lack of a pass rush, see the need for improved tackling, think there's only so much CNW can do if we don't recruit better, and definitely think he needs another year or 2 to come to a more-complete conclusion on his Defense.

Grade: C+
I saw improvement in the pass rush. The problem was many times, we got there but didn't finish. Sometimes, that's just the way the cookie crumbles, but other times it was due to a certain amount of carelessness or lack of know-how. As far as tackling, that's been an issue since long before even Roof got here. You would think by now somebody would have started teaching them how to tackle, but it sure hasn't happened yet.

Grade: B+

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
That back end and OLB lineup could be very, very good. How do you feel BJS played this year when he was in? Would you feel good if he was the starter or is it based more on the upside of his athleticism?

The DL also looks good, but highlights the fact that guys like TK and Glanton who look like classic 3-techs in a 4-3 or DEs in a 3-4 are actually tweeners in our system. We should be stout against the run, but I don't know how athletic a line of 290-325-300 can be. However Adams really did surprise me the second half of the year so I guess I shouldn't judge a book by the cover.

I thought he was no worse than the starters. I thought he played well the entire Duke game and seem to have better instincts than both BM & DC. Totally my IMO, but i believe BJS lacks that internal drive and that’s the reason he’s not starting. Kind of laid back, not taking the bull by the horns attitude. I could be totally wrong.

Glanton and TK are extremely athletic. I had to pleasure of talking to TK. If he handles his business off the field and matures a tad, he’ll be a star. If go this route, Thomas, Henderson, Dominick or Dingle must become good pass rushers

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The article you cite does indicate they've gone bigger since Woody left. But here's their starting DL with weights and heights for Ugag in 2017, Woody's last year:

Sims (6' 241) Stout (6'1" 286) Fuller (6'3" 265)

The subs are in the 280 - 250 range. Here's the source:

https://appstatesports.com/news/2017/8/31/football-app-state-georgia-preview-part-3.aspx

You could be right, of course. This could be a product of the kind of DL he could recruit up there; maybe a Barndon Adams wasn't in the cards. Still, it seems he like his DLs relatively smaller and faster. We'll see as time goes by.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The article you cite does indicate they've gone bigger since Woody left. But here's their starting weights on DL for Ugag in 2017, Woody's last year:

Sims 6' 241 Stout 6'1" 286 Fuller 6'3" 265

The subs are in the 280 - 250 range. Here's the source:

https://appstatesports.com/news/2017/8/31/football-app-state-georgia-preview-part-3.aspx

You could be right, of course. This could be a product of the kind of DL he could recruit up there; maybe a Barndon Adams wasn't in the cards. Still, it seems he like his DLs relatively smaller and faster. We'll see as time goes by.

ASA weighs 245lbs, that’s light even for his defense and it’s not across every position on the DL. He’s not recruiting like that either.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I saw improvement in the pass rush. The problem was many times, we got there but didn't finish. Sometimes, that's just the way the cookie crumbles, but other times it was due to a certain amount of carelessness or lack of know-how. As far as tackling, that's been an issue since long before even Roof got here. You would think by now somebody would have started teaching them how to tackle, but it sure hasn't happened yet.
I think it's a fundamental communication problem with football professionals. If they just got a systems and controls professor to explain that it's all about tweaking the differential component of the pid system, I'm sure we'd start taking better angles.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Do we have anyone who teaches how to tackle?

Absolutely the most relevant post on the whole subject of defensive performance ! Poor tackle form and high tackling is a reoccurring issue and has been under the last 4 D coordinators. It drives me crazy seeing a kid try to bump tackle (only ramming them with a shoulder) or tackling around the shoulder pads more than seeing a long poorly defended pass.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I've said my piece on Woody's D elsewhere, but I have to warn people about this.

If his history as a DC is any indication, Woody likes DLs that are smaller then what we had this year. He likes them "agile, mobile, and hostile" as Jake Gaither used to say. His perfect DL would be three St. Amours.

I dunno - did Woody actually say that?

GT Fan: "Hey, Woody, do you like the quick 6'1" 245-lb DE or the equally quick 6'3" 275-lb DE?"
Woody: "Gimme the undersized guy!"

I would add, however, those quick, 6'3" 275-lb guys are hard to find and they get gobbled up by the Alabamas, Clemsons, and UGAs of CFB.

This is why I feel like we really need to start recruiting nationally (someone who's a "1 in 6" make it rain, please) ... there's some 6'3" 275-lb kid out there who might actually want to come to GT - we've just got to find him and recruit him.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I think Woody is the answer. I don't know that we will ever be a top 25 defense with the offense we run, but I think Woody can get us into the top 40, and I think that is good enough with the right QB on offense. If we don't crack the top 50 next year I will assume that the offense and CPJ are the problem, but I think Groh, and Ted were awful coaches, so next year we find out for sure. I like the scheme and I think it will work out. I expect to have a good team overall next year.

Milwaukee

Banned
I was extremely underwhelmed after what I read all summer. Was expecting a lot more pressure by blitzing backers, safeties, and corners. Long story short I was expecting more feast or famine. We got toasted a lot so why not just sell out; college quarterbacks generally aren't very good so it's in your best interest to make them beat you over the top with accuracy imo. How friggin hard is it to put the dbs in front of or at the sticks on a 3rd and 6-9 situation? This is the single dumbest and most frustrating thing about this defense as a whole. Roof did it for years and now Woody is doing it. Watch well coached defenses play and you don't see this at the rate you see us do it. Half the battle is just alignment, and we beat ourselves a lot of the time before the ball is snapped. The puzzling part is that myself and other football nuts can clearly see some of these things presnap so why don't our paid coaches see it and adjust?

Not very impressed unfortunately, if I'm being honest.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I dunno - did Woody actually say that?

GT Fan: "Hey, Woody, do you like the quick 6'1" 245-lb DE or the equally quick 6'3" 275-lb DE?"
Woody: "Gimme the undersized guy!"

I would add, however, those quick, 6'3" 275-lb guys are hard to find and they get gobbled up by the Alabamas, Clemsons, and UGAs of CFB.

This is why I feel like we really need to start recruiting nationally (someone who's a "1 in 6" make it rain, please) ... there's some 6'3" 275-lb kid out there who might actually want to come to GT - we've just got to find him and recruit him.

This is the single most important thing we need to do right now to improve our football team.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
ASA weighs 245lbs, that’s light even for his defense and it’s not across every position on the DL. He’s not recruiting like that either.
Sadly FCS Kennesaw State's defensive is comparable in size to Georgia Tech's. I wish GT could get more size on their defense:cigar:

DE

Andrew Butcher 6-3 262

Tyler Moore 6-1 259

Evan Reece 6-2 255

NT

Travis Bell 6-1 280

Desmond Scott 6-0 305

DT

McKinzey Billingsley 6-4 280

Kylie Arrasmith 6-5 273

DE

Desmond Johnson 6-2 233

Peyton Moore 6-2 237

Mike LB

Charlie Patrick 6-0 215

Chance Bates 6-0 248

Will LB

Anthony Gore Jr 6-0 201

Troy Henderson 5-11 223

Sam LB

Bryson Armstrong 5-11 212

Demetrius Pettway 6-1 186

CB

Bryson Perry 5-9 181

Le'Vonte Larry 5-9 181

SS

Dorian Walker 6-0 181

Cincere Mason 6-0 212

FS

Jace White 6-1 181

Cole Loden 5-11 176

CB

Markeith Montgomery 5-9 172

Adesola Abisoye 5-10 186

I agree with a lot of you, but I want to emphasize how much BETTER the defense has played in the second half of games for the most part. That is a great sign for the coaching staff as far as making adjustments and what not.

There is a lot of potential on this side of the ball!
If they only wouldn't sit out the first half, which they have done pretty much all season.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Oh. Now I see what you mean.

I should have been clearer. What I meant was that he would like an entire DL that was as quick and flexible as ASA is and that weight wasn't something he is all that concerned about. But that isn't what I said by a long shot. Sorry.