One year of Nate Woody. What do we think?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm still a big fan of Coach Woody.

Before the season began, I stated that my measure would be yrds/play allowed. I was perhaps overly optimistic in setting the bar at 5 yds/play, but we ended the season allowing 5.9 ypp, which is #84. So, I'm disappointed.

With that being said, as I posted, with the data, in another thread, a big difference, imo, is that we were more consistent. Last year, Roof's D was really good at times, but then would just collapse on an end of half/end of game drive or even some whole games.

Now on the size of the DL, CNW was pretty clear in his introduction talk about his attitude toward recruiting. It is not that he prefers smaller players. IIuc, it's that he prefers quickness, agility, good eye discipline and quick decision making, which means that he can develop and use guys who might be smaller, but he'd still also like them bigger.

Time will tell if that philosophy holds with regular Pwr5 competition.

As an aside, is it possible that we're looking for the same kind of athletes for Woody's DL and CPJ's OL?

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Personally I'm shaking disappointment that I think was simply expectations which were too high. Thankfully, we're still seemingly on the expected trajectory for what we want out of a defense and what is expectable without superior recruits. However, it's been painful to watch the ease in which our zones have been exploited and the failure to keep containment on the QB which is fairly fundamental stuff. This is also a year where I'm realizing the absolute gap that exists between Alabama, Clemson, and unfortunately UGAg and the rest of the football world. It's not just talent. We've seen that go to waste plenty of times. But right now they're well enough coached and play clean enough that unless you have similar caliber athletes you have to catch them on the random chance they are making more mistakes than usual to have a chance.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I believe there's a misconception that Roof was responsible for pulling in several of the better D recruits while he was here. Most of those players were recruited by the assistants. All in all, I think Roof had just as many misses (if not more) than he did hits when it came to recruiting.

TK Chimedza told the AJC in an interview he came because of Roof. So did the Swilling brothers. Roof was and is an excellent recruiter. We can debate his scheme and whether it worked or not, but even Yomanser stated that Roof was a good recruiter.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Yes I too hope we are able to retain Woody and whoever he wants to keep on his defensive staff. I feel for him and the defensive players who have invested in learning new playbook this year and feel like they're just catching on. Now all of it is up in the air. Imagine how the players feel who are rising juniors and seniors who are likely to receive less attention to how they fit in the new staff schemes as the new coaches build for their future.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I hope our new head coach keeps Woody around, i think it would help the transition if our Def didn't have to learn a 3rd def system in 3 years. I also hope Woody if retained is allowed to get the exact assistents that he wants to make it work.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
TK Chimedza told the AJC in an interview he came because of Roof. So did the Swilling brothers. Roof was and is an excellent recruiter. We can debate his scheme and whether it worked or not, but even Yomanser stated that Roof was a good recruiter.

I wish we could hire him back as a recruiter someday, he made a big difference in the def talent we brought in the past few years.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I wish we could hire him back as a recruiter someday, he made a big difference in the def talent we brought in the past few years.
Roof is in line to take over as DC at NCSU when Huxtable retires. Roof was a terrible head coach at Duke. Hux is a good friend and is setting him up for the job at State.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Roof is in line to take over as DC at NCSU when Huxtable retires. Roof was a terrible head coach at Duke. Hux is a good friend and is setting him up for the job at State.

I don’t see it, hell they are blaming him for their Def problems this year and he was just the secondary coach. I'm not sure that he has many if any Def coord at pwr5 opportunities left in his tank and def not any at head coach.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I don’t see it, hell they are blaming him for their Def problems this year and he was just the secondary coach. I'm not sure that he has many if any Def coord at pwr5 opportunities left in his tank and def not any at head coach.
He was named as co defensive coordinator with Huxtable. May just be a title but that was how it was announced last year.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Our 2nd half defense this year was superb to our first half defense. Especially towards the latter part of the season. To me that suggests that Woody knows how to make adjustments at half time.

One minor complaint however is that we seem to still give too much cushion from our CBs.
You could say the same about Roof. But I do see positives in the defense under Woody in getting more possessions for the offense.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Personally I've been torn on what to think about Woody as DC. On the one hand I do think the D-line play has improved significantly. I also really liked that we caused way more fumbles. Supposedly not much defense was installed, and he hasn't had a chance to recruit to it. And he typically made good halftime adjustments, and we didn't wilt at end of half end of game situations.

But. Good heavens, if your QB can throw an out route longer than 10 yards, 3rd and long is right where you want our defense. I wanted to puke after the 100th time I watched a receiver catch the ball uncontested at the sideline on 3rd and 12 or more, and then it just kept happening all year! That's just bad coaching, cause usually the receiver would catch the ball and there's no GT defender on the screen. It's one thing if the WR is catching a perfect throw over the DBs outstretched hand. I can write that off as talent, or being a step slow cause you're thinking about your assignment instead of just playing.

Some things with that: we blitzed more, I guess. But we still like to just run straight into any available blocker. We'd send 6 guys and everyone would get picked up, QB has eternity to throw. This just makes me tired thinking about it. I never saw anyone besides ASA get off blocks with any consistency.

When we occasionally would have a man free (often a particular senior inside line backer . . . ) the guy would just whiff! I've never seen anyone whiff so consistently. Overall inside LB play was pretty sad, they all had a bad tendency to drift outside and seal themselves right out of the play.

My impression: meh. With PJ stepping down, wouldn't hurt my feelings if we just went ahead and cleaned house. Derrick Moore should stay no matter what, but nobody else has impressed me.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'm still a big fan of Coach Woody.

Before the season began, I stated that my measure would be yrds/play allowed. I was perhaps overly optimistic in setting the bar at 5 yds/play, but we ended the season allowing 5.9 ypp, which is #84. So, I'm disappointed.

With that being said, as I posted, with the data, in another thread, a big difference, imo, is that we were more consistent. Last year, Roof's D was really good at times, but then would just collapse on an end of half/end of game drive or even some whole games.

Now on the size of the DL, CNW was pretty clear in his introduction talk about his attitude toward recruiting. It is not that he prefers smaller players. IIuc, it's that he prefers quickness, agility, good eye discipline and quick decision making, which means that he can develop and use guys who might be smaller, but he'd still also like them bigger.

Time will tell if that philosophy holds with regular Pwr5 competition.

As an aside, is it possible that we're looking for the same kind of athletes for Woody's DL and CPJ's OL?
This is a very good point.
Maybe Hansen could be a Nose tackle. ( iirc he played in hs). I think thufle played dl . Both of these 2 could get bigger =330#.
I think the kid from La was a good dl.

Perhaps the r sr Morgan twins can get a better shot under new scheme and ol coach).
Good point

Watching the r freshmen on sideline the line men seem tall and lean except for Mzye who looks like Shaq - short, long arms, stumpy legs