On To VMI

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
With more time to waste than is healthy, I watched parts of VMI's first two games Bucknell and William and Mary. They run what appears to be a typical shotgun "Me too" offense. Pretty decent quarterback, capable though physically limited running backs. The lines are small and slow especially the offensive line. Defensive backs end up making most of the tackles. They blitz on defense a good bit. We might cover the 40 or so point line in less than three quarters even playing backups a lot. Someone compared them to The Citadel from a few years ago. Based on my casual observations, I don't think they are nearly as good which is not good for them as The Citadel is their biggest rival. A friend from church who went to VMI told me that they have really struggled to recruit in recent years. IIWII
On the other hand, in 2019 the year that the Citadel beat Tech 27-24 the Bulldogs lost to VMI 21-34 so there is that. In 2020, the Keydets won the Southern Conference and played in the FCS playoffs losing in the first round. In 2023, they went 5-6 losing to NC State 7-45 but they beat the Citadel 17-13. The triple option was no mystery to the Keydets it would seem. They may be competitive but I kind of doubt it based on what I saw in bits and pieces of their last two games. The Jackets need to focus and take care of business.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Honestly, I am not worried about this game.
That will change if it is still close by late third quarter.

I expect GT to react well this week after a loss and beat a team that simply has inferior talent by alot. I am not concerned about a Bowling Green or Citadel redo.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just as an FYI. Under Key GT is
9-1 after losing the previous game.
3-9 after winning the previous game.
(Note this is games within a season only, not across seasons).

The only loss came in 2022 when GT lost to FSU the week after losing to UVA.

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck

Are you suggesting we should sacrifice this game in order to guarantee a win against L-ville? :ROFLMAO:

slugboy

Staff member

If that second number were even break even at 6-6, we’d have a much stronger record. Getting win streaks and avoiding losing streaks is huge for the team’s success

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Given the opponent, coming off a loss, and that it's supposed to rain pretty much constantly between now and gametime Saturday, I imagine fan turnout will be low - probably 25k if not less. With everything being wet, we'll probably spend most of the game working on the run and may end up with a lower scoring game than we'd desire as fans given the opponent - maybe similar to the GSU score.

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
If that second number were even break even at 6-6, we’d have a much stronger record. Getting win streaks and avoiding losing streaks is huge for the team’s success
That's kinda what Key has preached this year. We learned how to not lose, we learned how to win, now it's time to learn how to win consistently. I'd say the first major test of that came out with us receiving an F. Good thing you learn more from F's than A's.

gtee91

Jolly Good Fellow
Given the opponent, coming off a loss, and that it's supposed to rain pretty much constantly between now and gametime Saturday, I imagine fan turnout will be low - probably 25k if not less. With everything being wet, we'll probably spend most of the game working on the run and may end up with a lower scoring game than we'd desire as fans given the opponent - maybe similar to the GSU score.
Rain games also bring fumbles and leg injuries from sliding around....yay us !

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
It won't be 25K if it is that's a travesty

Probably 30-31k.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
It won't be 25K if it is that's a travesty

Probably 30-31k.
I mean personally I don't know many people that want to sit in the remnants of a hurricane to watch a football game against a nobody school, and VMI aint bringing a bunch of fans. Attendance for SC State last year was 31k, and I don't recall that one being in the rain and they are a wee bit closer for fans to travel. Bowling Green only had 30k and was also not in the rain.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
I mean personally I don't know many people that want to sit in the remnants of a hurricane to watch a football game against a nobody school, and VMI aint bringing a bunch of fans. Attendance for SC State last year was 31k, and I don't recall that one being in the rain and they are a wee bit closer for fans to travel. Bowling Green only had 30k and was also not in the rain.
SC State was delayed for over 2 hours due to rain/lightning. Maybe 31k bought tickets, but by the time the game actually started, less than 20k actually were in seats. By the end it was probably like 5k. This game will be similar - announced attendance like 30-33k, actual attendance may be sparse.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
there was a huge rain delay right before kickoff at SC State last year. But the LOWEST crowd we've ever had in my lifetime was Virginia in 2022 which drew 29K. Because we're better than we were last year I think the crowd is over 30k.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
there was a huge rain delay right before kickoff at SC State last year. But the LOWEST crowd we've ever had in my lifetime was Virginia in 2022 which drew 29K. Because we're better than we were last year I think the crowd is over 30k.
I think one of the big issues will be students. They are close enough to make a game time decision based on weather whether to show up. I would be surprised if we get 30K for this game. Rain will also wipe out a lot of tailgating including GT event on North Avenue.