Ole Miss @ GT

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I was really disappointed with what I saw today. What I saw looked like undisciplined football. I'm not a coach; I'm not a D1 P5 player. We looked out of position and fundamentally unsound today.

We will face much better teams than Ole Miss this year. We need to do better.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Well, I don’t see a post game thread, so I’ll post here.

We lost the field position battle leading to a 0.6 pt/dr expected differential. That’s hard to overcome in general, but starting field position is usually bad when the other team kicks off 7 times.

Our defense actually created a lot of negative plays, but it wasn’t nearly enough.

We had poor execution on pretty much all aspects of the game. Hope they can gut check and find a way to be competitive next week.

flygtfly

Georgia Tech Fan
We break out of it by expressing our viewpoints without feeling it incumbent upon ourselves to tell others what to say and how to say it.
Here's my viewpoint: The fact that we are 10-26 over the last three years is far and away more damaging to recruiting than the talk surrounding it.
And the talk surrounding it is inevitable. Used to be a local news broadcast with the slogan, "If you don't want to see it, don't let it happen". That applies here.
recruiting has taken a major hit the last 3 weeks. What recruit or parents will allow their son to play for a coach that probably won't be here much longer. This entire project has blown up in the face of GT football several times since this hiring. IMO better to clean up early and get ready for the future.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
We were sack 7 times on only 66 offensive snaps, of which, I think, 39 were pass plays as we were 18/32 passing.

So on 17.9% if our pass plays we ended up being sacked... Just, just, just, have hang your head... 😠

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

Can someone explain what was supposed to happen? The guy who blocked it was way outside, so needed to be picked up by a blocker in the back. But they allowed a rusher right up the middle, so The blocker took the inside rusher.

We’re we out schemed here or is this just busted coverage up the middle?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Can someone explain what was supposed to happen? The guy who blocked it was way outside, so needed to be picked up by a blocker in the back. But they allowed a rusher right up the middle, so The blocker took the inside rusher.

We’re we out schemed here or is this just busted coverage up the middle?

Watching it from this angle I can pick up on a few things:

1) Shanahan catches the snap at the 20, and by the time he kicks it he’s basically standing on the 25. You can’t run up 5 yards on a punt, you’ll get it blocked more often than not, we’ve already seen it too many times.
2) By the time he catches the snap, it takes 2 full seconds to get the kick off. Running 5 yards and holding the ball that long is a recipe for disaster.
3) Doesn’t Shanahan punt with both feet? It looks like this protection was designed for a right-footed punt where he rolls towards the near sideline. It could just be a communication error between the punter and the blockers? But when you add on the possible communication error with the less than ideal time it takes to get the punt off you end up with poor results.

Given the fact last year our corners and safeties didn’t even know what coverages each other were running it wouldn’t be a total surprise if we didn’t know what foot/what direction our punter was going to roll into. It’s really just piss poor. Does anybody have a running counter for how many kicks we’ve had blocked since 2019? I mean I feel like it’s about a 50% chance any time a kicking unit is on the field it’s going to get blocked. We have to lead the country in blocked kicks since Collins has been here. It’s so embarrassing. It looks like a pee wee team learning how to kick for the first time.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
As for the punting, we were probably fortunate we only had the one punt block. Our LS is consistently delivering low snaps to the punter. The blocked punt snap was almost on the ground.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Both teams had 12 TFL. 7 of theirs were sacks vs 1 for us. OL is a liability right now.
Has been ever since GC came here. Just because they no longer weigh 280lbs doesn't make them more athletic and probably slows them down. Weighing 300+lbs and our screen pass blocking has been bad due to missed blocks and not getting into the secondary to block. We really struggled to pick up blocks when they brought blitzes.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Visitors to Ole Miss. game at Ga. Tech(list is not all inclusive):
Drew Cohen
Jaylen Johnson
Keyshawn Cole
Sai Simmons
Andre Craig
Reece Fountain
Nireek Sharpe
Landon Edmundson
Chase Byrd
Tobi Adawoyin
Myles Cunningham
Chaston Smith
Sam Turner
Chad Fairchild
Paul “PD” Davis
Michael Muldrow, Jr.
Logan McGuinnis
Mason Townsend
Zach Branham
Tyson Hamaker
Chris Wyatt
Kaiden Prothro
Kavius Leonard, II(Calloway Football)
Calloway Football(7 visitors + Kavius who is listed above)
CJ Gamble(2026 class)
Nelson Woghiren
Sean Moon