Ole Miss @ GT

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Can someone explain what was supposed to happen? The guy who blocked it was way outside, so needed to be picked up by a blocker in the back. But they allowed a rusher right up the middle, so The blocker took the inside rusher.

We’re we out schemed here or is this just busted coverage up the middle?

I don't have a great football mind, but I have wondered about this punt formation this year. The o-line is split instead of tight. There are two blockers in front of the punter instead of three, and they are split wide. There is a third blocker in a wing position, but on this punt that one is lined up as a gunner, even though he kind of sort of hesitates instead of gunning. When the punter runs to the side to punt and the guy in the wing back position is on that side, the blocking alignment ends up being very good. When he punts in the middle, there are too few bodies between the d-line and the punter. It doesn't help that situation when the snap is low or when the punter takes too long. However, to my untrained eye the formation looks like it will only work for a rugby style punt.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We can blame the low snap or the slow to kick but in this case it was another coaching issue of not getting lined up properly to block everyone we needed to block. We make a lot of mistakes but good coaching would go a long way to eliminate a lot of them. It seems the good coaching retired and we have yet to replace it.