Ole Miss @ GT

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
So - since moving to Mississippi, I had adopted Ole Miss as my second team (once my kids decided to attend there over other dastardly in-state schools - especially the ones with bulldog mascots). Make no mistake, nothing more annoying that a stadium with 50,000 ringing cowbells, screw the barners, not even full grown adult dwag fans barking like dogs are as bad.

I was at the Central Arkansas game Saturday, full of clear whiskey and hotty toddy. Hard to rate this one since C Arky is not good anyway, but I think this one against Ole Miss could go for us. We CAN win this game.

Coaching - pfft, Lane Kiffin >>>>>> CGC. It’s just true.

Our offense can be OK against their D, nothing special. Sims has to have a good day, though - no more mediocrity. This also isn’t the Clemson D line either so I expect at least a small semblance of pass protection.

Our strength will be our D (When was the last time I said this)? We can keep this score low enough to win - I saw a lot of good improvement in our D this year so far to make me think we can keep them out of the end zone enough to give out O a chance.

Won’t comment on ST. If we don’t find outselves in the punt/FG situation, the better.

I have tix somewhere on the west by northwest side, so look for the guy wearing blue/gold/white with a bunch a traitorous bulldog/ole miss colored family members.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
So - since moving to Mississippi, I had adopted Ole Miss as my second team (once my kids decided to attend there over other dastardly in-state schools - especially the ones with bulldog mascots). Make no mistake, nothing more annoying that a stadium with 50,000 ringing cowbells, screw the barners, not even full grown adult dwag fans barking like dogs are as bad.

I was at the Central Arkansas game Saturday, full of clear whiskey and hotty toddy. Hard to rate this one since C Arky is not good anyway, but I think this one against Ole Miss could go for us. We CAN win this game.

Our offense can be OK against their D, nothing special. Sims has to have a good day, though - no more mediocrity. This also isn’t the Clemson D line either so I expect at least a small semblance of pass protection.

Our strength will be our D (When was the last time I said this)? We can keep this score low enough to win - I saw a lot of good improvement in our D this year so far to make me think we can keep them out of the end zone enough to give out O a chance.

Won’t comment on ST. If we don’t find outselves in the punt/FG situation, the better.

I have tix somewhere on the west by northwest side, so look for the guy wearing blue/gold/white with a bunch a traitorous bulldog/ole miss colored family members.
Tell the bulldog fans to leave the cow bells in Mississippi. Just kidding.

slugboy

Staff member
I don’t know if this goes better in the “Vegas Line” thread.

(rfjeff9, you’re gonna know a lot more about Ole Miss than I will. I’m just doing internet research. )

Ole Miss played Troy in game 1 and Central Arkansas in game 2 (as mentioned earlier).

Michael Trigg is their tight end and #1 receiver. Jonathan Mingo is the WR with the one-handed catch in the linked article below. There are other receivers, but they're the main two.

Trigg seems to get the points through the air, and Bentley seems to get them on the ground. Evans and Judkins are their main rushers.

They have 40.5 (57%) rushing attempts per game and 30.5 (43%) passing attempts per game, so their play selection favors the ground--but, they've played Troy and Central Arkansas, so that might favor running. They also passed for 222 yards/game and ran for 249.5 yards/game. So far, that's balanced in favor of the run.

This should give you some idea of their rushing game:
RushRushRushRushScriScriScriScri
RkPlayerGAttYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgTD
1Zach Evans2311835.91332056.21
2Quinshon Judkins2241918.01252098.41
3Ulysses Bentley IV26488.026488.02
4Jaxson Dart26457.506457.50
5Isaiah Woullard24123.004123.00
6Luke Altmyer23-2-0.713-2-0.71
7Jaylon Robinson23196.306447.30
8JJ Henry2231.506376.20
9Jonathan Mingo2122.01713118.71

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 9/12/2022.

And their passing game. Trigg is their main target, Mingo is their deep threat, but they spread the ball around:

ReceReceReceReceScriScriScriScri
RkPlayerGRecYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgTD
1Michael Trigg29616.839616.83
2Jonathan Mingo2612921.50713118.71
3Dayton Wade256813.6056813.60
4Malik Heath256713.4256713.42
5JJ Henry24348.506376.20
6Jaylon Robinson23258.306447.30
7Zach Evans222211.00332056.21
8Jordan Watkins222010.0022010.00
9Quinshon Judkins211818.00252098.41
10Ulysses Bentley IV26488.02
11Jaxson Dart26457.50
12Isaiah Woullard24123.00
13Luke Altmyer23-2-0.71

Generated 9/12/2022.

Troy, like GT and Ole Miss, is an FCS team. Central Arkansas is not.

Here are some highlights from Troy. You'll see lots of players score.

Last edited:

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t know if this goes better in the “Vegas Line” thread.

(rfjeff9, you’re gonna know a lot more about Ole Miss than I will. I’m just doing internet research. )

Ole Miss played Troy in game 1 and Central Arkansas in game 2 (as mentioned earlier).

Michael Trigg is their tight end and #1 receiver. Jonathan Mingo is the WR with the one-handed catch in the linked article below. There are other receivers, but they're the main two.

Trigg seems to get the points through the air, and Bentley seems to get them on the ground. Evans and Judkins are their main rushers.

They have 40.5 (57%) rushing attempts per game and 30.5 (43%) passing attempts per game, so their play selection favors the ground--but, they've played Troy and Central Arkansas, so that might favor running. They also passed for 222 yards/game and ran for 249.5 yards/game. So far, that's balanced in favor of the run.

This should give you some idea of their rushing game:
RushRushRushRushScriScriScriScri
RkPlayerGAttYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgTD
1Zach Evans2311835.91332056.21
2Quinshon Judkins2241918.01252098.41
3Ulysses Bentley IV26488.026488.02
4Jaxson Dart26457.506457.50
5Isaiah Woullard24123.004123.00
6Luke Altmyer23-2-0.713-2-0.71
7Jaylon Robinson23196.306447.30
8JJ Henry2231.506376.20
9Jonathan Mingo2122.01713118.71

Generated 9/12/2022.

And their passing game. Trigg is their main target, Mingo is their deep threat, but they spread the ball around:

ReceReceReceReceScriScriScriScri
RkPlayerGRecYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgTD
1Michael Trigg29616.839616.83
2Jonathan Mingo2612921.50713118.71
3Dayton Wade256813.6056813.60
4Malik Heath256713.4256713.42
5JJ Henry24348.506376.20
6Jaylon Robinson23258.306447.30
7Zach Evans222211.00332056.21
8Jordan Watkins222010.0022010.00
9Quinshon Judkins211818.00252098.41
10Ulysses Bentley IV26488.02
11Jaxson Dart26457.50
12Isaiah Woullard24123.00
13Luke Altmyer23-2-0.71

Generated 9/12/2022.

Troy, like GT and Ole Miss, is an FCS team. Central Arkansas is not.

Here are some highlights from Troy. You'll see lots of players score.

🤨:unsure: at bolded

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
RUSH = rushing
RECE = Receiving
SCRI = scrimmage

Seems REC would be a better abbreviation for receiving/receptions
wrong bolded part

"Troy, like GT and Ole Miss, is an FCS team. Central Arkansas is not."

what you put down is obvious on the meaning. the troy like gt and ole miss is an fcs team is a little more confusing

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
wrong bolded part

"Troy, like GT and Ole Miss, is an FCS team. Central Arkansas is not."

what you put down is obvious on the meaning. the troy like gt and ole miss is an fcs team is a little more confusing

Gotcha. I didn't notice at first you had bolded part of your reply as it was shortened on my screen. I thought you were referring to the odd abbreviations in the titles... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Assuming that was a major typo.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

I forced myself to watch most the Central Arkansas and Troy games. Not sure what to make of this team. Loaded down with team speed. The Rebel receivers will be trouble. #2 Mingo is big, fast, and physical. He made a catch against Central Arkansas that looked like a grown NFL player against high school boys. He jumped up with a defensive back in perfect position, albeit with his back to the pass, Mingo trapped the ball against the DB's back and simply muscled it for the catch. Ridiculous. To make matters worse, #1 Twiggs is about the same size and has caught more passes. The fabled freshman, Judkins (spelling?) drew comparisons to a young Todd Gurley by the announcers but he is not the only one. This team has an absurd number of portal players supposedly the #2 ranked portal class in the country. On defense, they blitzed a lot and they will hit you. The poor Troy quarterback got hit so hard twice his helmet came off. They get lots of pressure from linebackers and defensive backs. There is a lot of talk about the two quarterbacks. Dart looks better to me but Kiffin has not decided. If we play our absolute best game of the year on offense and move the damn chains we have a chance. Going three and out against this team will get you killed. Kiffin is aggressive in exploiting a defense and he has the playmakers to score in bunches.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know how good Ole Miss is going to be this year, but even with them losing all their marquee players from last year’s breakout team, if we were to win this game, it would be a big deal.
They are near the top of portal NIL war. When I compares all our opponents 1 and 2 string online and dline ole miss has a bunch of r shirt starters and junior backups. Watching some replays their linemen were not Clemson like.

They will be a very tough out.

I hope that our staff demonstrates coaching and play calling that positively impact the game.

Last edited:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know how good Ole Miss is going to be this year, but even with them losing all their marquee players from last year’s breakout team, if we were to win this game, it would be a big deal.
They are in the top 25 while we are about #75 or so in the CFN rankings besides it is SEC vs ACC while they are a two touchdown favorite. So sure it would be a pretty big upset.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Very interested to see what winds up happening at QB for Ole Miss on Saturday. Jaxson Dart is a transfer from USC and is in a QB battle with Luke Altmyer, a sophomore on the team who was a backup to Corral last year.

Dart started the first game against Troy and from the box score didn't seem to play too well. His stats are similar to Sims in his first game except Dart was playing Troy, not Clemson. Ole Miss just ran all over Troy. Didn't need much of a passing game.

Altmyer then got the start for central Arkansas but left the game dinged up. Dart came in and his stats were better than the previous game going 10-15 and 2 TD's.

This gives me some hope that if Keion and the DL can harass whichever one of these relatively untested QB's we could throw them off their passing game making them one dimensional. Hopefully we find a way to stop the run

slugboy

Staff member
For you analytics people, SP+ has
  • Ole Miss projected to win by a margin of 27.5 with 94% odds of winning
  • The latest spread is Ole Miss -16, so they're also forecasting Ole Miss to beat the spread
  • Over/Under is 61.5. The projected total is 4 points UNDER that, so they forecast the UNDER.
Not a surprise, the analytics did not like us last year, and we haven't done anything earthshattering in the first two games to change the numbers.

----
In non-numbers terms, we need to tackle well to handle their running backs. I don't want to see them getting loose or breaking a lot of tackles.

Also, while I think we need to watch out for Trigg (their TE) and Mingo (WR), Ole Miss spreads the ball out. If we have a weak link in pass coverage, Ole Miss will hammer it by shifting to get the matchups they want, or just hitting their #3 receiver. Our LBs and secondary need to bring their A++ game.

I haven't looked at their defense yet, but we really need to get first downs this week, and Sims needs to play the game of his life.

Last edited:

NewEnglandTransplant

Georgia Tech Fan
Our first quarterly football exam is Saturday vs Ole Miss.
  1. Clemson game, we showed some improvement but the usual inconsistencies and embarrassing special teams play (punt blocking X2). Did any of us really expect to win, not really.
  2. WCU and our D scared me in the first qtr with two TD"s but kudos to the Defense for making adjustments and the offense for getting untracked in our "must win" game.
  3. Ole Miss, a mid range SEC team vs GT a mid range (at best) ACC team this year- this is THE opportunity to step up against that other conference we all hate and show the fan base we can compete against BCS level competition.
Prediction (sadly we come close but fail the quarterly exam):
Ole Miss 30
GA Tech 23
I want to be so wrong.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
One other thing that interests me going into this game that I just noticed, Chip Long called plays against Ole Miss last year when he was with Tulane. And scored 21 in the first half. Maybe that bodes well.

But they didn't score at all in the 2nd half so maybe not. And the final score was 61-21 so that's pretty ugly but I won't hold Chip responsible for giving up 61 points.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
One other thing that interests me going into this game that I just noticed, Chip Long called plays against Ole Miss last year when he was with Tulane. And scored 21 in the first half. Maybe that bodes well.

But they didn't score at all in the 2nd half so maybe not. And the final score was 61-21 so that's pretty ugly but I won't hold Chip responsible for giving up 61 points.
I think we have seen CCL show an ability to fit his plan to what the D is giving us and what we are able to accomplish.

You saw that last week with us abandoning the pass in the 2nd half. CCL is calling plays for efficiency not to match a predetermined plan or vanity stats.

I greatly appreciate that in our OC and am looking forward to us trying to be more efficient this week as well. That said WE NEED JEFF 2.0 to show up this week.