Ole Miss @ GT

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Our first quarterly football exam is Saturday vs Ole Miss.
  1. Clemson game, we showed some improvement but the usual inconsistencies and embarrassing special teams play (punt blocking X2). Did any of us really expect to win, not really.
  2. WCU and our D scared me in the first qtr with two TD"s but kudos to the Defense for making adjustments and the offense for getting untracked in our "must win" game.
  3. Ole Miss, a mid range SEC team vs GT a mid range (at best) ACC team this year- this is THE opportunity to step up against that other conference we all hate and show the fan base we can compete against BCS level competition.
Prediction (sadly we come close but fail the quarterly exam):
Ole Miss 30
GA Tech 23
I want to be so wrong.
I think that's a little premature :)

kalld12

Banned
One other thing that interests me going into this game that I just noticed, Chip Long called plays against Ole Miss last year when he was with Tulane. And scored 21 in the first half. Maybe that bodes well.

But they didn't score at all in the 2nd half so maybe not. And the final score was 61-21 so that's pretty ugly but I won't hold Chip responsible for giving up 61 points.
Good point to reference though. I'd also say Chip has more talent now to work with, but will come down to execution and blocking. We can definitely compete with these guys, I'm just hoping we come out firing on all cylinders and punch them in the mouth.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If the oc can scheme us down field w this young ol, we have a chance to keep it close until the start throwing deep.
Then it will be time for Super Sims to save the day.

Go jackets

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
If the oc can scheme us down field w this young ol, we have a chance to keep it close until the start throwing deep.
Then it will be time for Super Sims to save the day.

Go jackets
I think our D has shown that they can hang with anyone for 3 quarters, but too many 3-and-outs will wear them down. Hoping the O can move the ball some in the second half.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
the analytics did not like us last year
That's putting it lightly 😂

I don't really know if I trust SP+ metrics this early in the season when they are so strongly based on the data of the previous season (and considering the transfers everyone is playing with). Maybe it's more accurate than I know, but I also don't have access to SP+ since it's paywalled. I would mainly be surprised with us being blown out as bad as SP+ thinks because our offensive philosophy is so much different than it was last year. I haven't calculated the data, but I would guess our possessions are longer than they were last year.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We better be "efficient" as Midtown posts and move the chains consistently because this team has the capability of blowing us right out of our home stadium. Similar to Auburn and LSU in an earlier time, they are a very much a momentum team. Keep them on the sidelines and they are not nearly as explosive when they finally do get the ball. Frustrate them by moving the sticks and they might just start to get "anxious" and make mistakes. Neither one of their quarterbacks is that much of a running threat, though they are mobile when they have to be. Watching them against Troy and Central Arkansas I was struck by how often they would thread the needle to get the ball to Trigg and Mingo. They have a lot of confidence in both of them which is understandable as they look like grown men playing boys at times. Impressive speed at running back and elsewhere. This is a team loaded with speed but perhaps not as physical in the trenches BUT the one place where they did not lose much from last year was on the offensive line. I think four starters return to that unit.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I have a real good feeling about this game. I don't have the first hand intel that JGF has, but my sense is that Ole Miss hasn't been tested yet. The Ole Miss media sees Tech as a warm up for their game against Kentucky. This is a great scenario for our defense to apply stress to a young QB ( Jaxson Dart) and make him very uncomfortable in a road environment. Perhaps we might get a strip sack and an interception or two? The talent difference along the interior is not as it was against Clemson. So no big chump plays - our offense moves consistently and Presto !! GT 27 Ole Miss 17 and we head to Orlando 2-1.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's how I'm looking at it. Ole Miss in 2022 is not the same as Ole Miss in 2021.

This year they scored 28 on Troy. I've seen improvement on our defense to believe we will not give up as many points as Troy.

And last year Chip Long, with Tulane, scored 14 on Ole Miss in the first half. So we can clearly assume 14 points per half.

Ole Miss will score less than 28 and we are essentially guaranteed to score at least 28 so I think it's free money. Put all your savings on GT to win straight up.