Okogie to the T-Wolves at #20 overall

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I mean if you’re going to write it, write it correctly.

Those are his freshman averages, which he improved on during his sophomore year by getting 18 and 6 a game.

From the NY Times:
20: Minnesota Timberwolves: Josh Okogie, SG, Georgia Tech
6 feet 4 inches, 211 pounds

A breakout sophomore season in which he averaged 16.1 points and 5.4 rebounds a game wasn’t enough to get the kind of draft assurances that Okogie wanted, but then the draft combine rolled around and his performance got people to pay attention. He may have been the best pure athlete among all of the wings who agreed to be evaluated. He’s fast, strong, agile and could be a huge steal in the draft, as he has not garnered nearly as much attention as players who he could run circles around athletically.

How he fits: This pick was acquired in the Ricky Rubio trade last season, and the Timberwolves, who did fine without Rubio, have added a player who can add a lot without stepping on the toes of any of the team’s stars. The potential is there for Tom Thibodeau to coach him into something special if he’s willing to work.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This is great!! So happy for this young man! This is what you get when hard work, belief, and perseverance comes together!!

I guess Brian Gregory does know talent when he sees it!!

Had gregory not been fired, Okogie would have played sparingly for two years behind rent-a-players and quite possibly end his collegiate career at another school.

Deleted member 2897

This is great!! So happy for this young man! This is what you get when hard work, belief, and perseverance comes together!!

I guess Brian Gregory does know talent when he sees it!!

Thank God we had Pastner and team to develop it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Will Josh be fighting Marcus Georges-Hunt and Shabazz Muhammad for playing time?

I think Muhammad is gone from there. I kinda think they're cooling on Wiggins, honestly. He out-talents Okogie/MGH but he won't out-work them. That fact (Wiggins laziness) IIUC is not going unnoticed in MIN.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Andrew Wiggins ain’t winning in Minnesota. JO shows he can defend and Tibbs will play him.

As far as the Hawks.. sigh
Guess this was the GSW East draft. Trash..

We have a horrible GM. Horrible return on Howard deal (why not just buy him out?). Couldn't move our expirings last trade deadline. Couldn't move Dennis before taking a 3rd pick-PG and completely torpedoing what little value he had left. Couldn't fleece DAL who DESPERATELY wanted Doncic. What's next, Slink?

:) Sorry, I blacked out there for a second.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I am not really a Hawks fan, but like the Young pick. He is exciting and fun and will definitely make me tune in for more games than I would have otherwise. Not to say there isn’t a great chance he won’t be a bust, but the Hawks haven’t had a player with any real swagger and star power since Dominique. (Sort of Howard, but his shine had long past dulled.). I mean, Joe Johnson or Paul Milsap could literally walk up to me and say hi and I would have no idea who they are. If you are going to go down, go down swinging!

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not really a Hawks fan, but like the Young pick. He is exciting and fun and will definitely make me tune in for more games than I would have otherwise. Not to say there isn’t a great chance he won’t be a bust, but the Hawks haven’t had a player with any real swagger and star power since Dominique. (Sort of Howard, but his shine had long past dulled.). I mean, Joe Johnson or Paul Milsap could literally walk up to me and say hi and I would have no idea who they are. If you are going to go down, go down swinging!
While I agree with your overall sentiment, don’t discount the amount of swag my man Zaza Pachulia brought to the court when he was playing for the Hawks...

slugboy

Staff member
We have a horrible GM. Horrible return on Howard deal (why not just buy him out?). Couldn't move our expirings last trade deadline. Couldn't move Dennis before taking a 3rd pick-PG and completely torpedoing what little value he had left. Couldn't fleece DAL who DESPERATELY wanted Doncic. What's next, Slink?

:) Sorry, I blacked out there for a second.

There’s no trade value for Dwight Howard; Charlotte took on salary to trade him this year. Charlotte’s trade makes Schlenk look brilliant for getting what he did for Howard.
Dennis tanked his own trade value with legal issues; no one cares how many guards we have, only how much cap space there is.
I agree about shoving him into the Mavs deal, and I’m sure Schlenk tried. Getting Baze in the deal to complete the tank might have been even smarter, and maybe gotten something else of value
I’m not saying I agree with the Hawks draft (I’d have kept Doncic), but the top players next year are wings and in the paint players. In a rebuild, he can load up on front court next year. That’s probably why they passed on Okogie and some of the other players.
He better be right with his plan, though. I think DAL has a smarter front office, so the odds are slim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Do you think this hurts MGH chances at returning? At the 2 it's Jimmy Butler, Okogie and J Crawford is a free agent and they traded Shabazz. Maybe they slide Okogie to back up Wiggins and let MGH stay at the 2. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Do you think this hurts MGH chances at returning? At the 2 it's Jimmy Butler, Okogie and J Crawford is a free agent and they traded Shabazz. Maybe they slide Okogie to back up Wiggins and let MGH stay at the 2. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I was never really a Crawford fan, but he was a talented dude. Considering Thibs doesn't play his bench, maybe Josh O and MGH will get minutes.

ETA: weird double posts are a function off being too early on a Saturday.

Fun fact, Crawford has never lifted weights and his only training is to simply play basketball in the offseason. And the dude is almost 40 and hasn't lost a step. Weird.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Fun fact, Crawford has never lifted weights and his only training is to simply play basketball in the offseason. And the dude is almost 40 and hasn't lost a step. Weird.

Remember the weird dude from the “Super Size Me” documentary that eats 2 Big Macs everyday? His cholesterol is lower than average.

Some people just got it