Okogie makes USA Under 19 team.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I promise you I watch more games throughout the year and absorb more news throughout the year about the college game & NBA game than most, so my recommendation is that you shouldn't make extremely bad assumptions about how much I know or don't know.

I'm sure Josh is damn proud and I'm damn proud of him and his representation of GT, but your roll of bad takes continues. The exposure at USA tryouts, as well as against foreign competition, can absolutely impact an NBA opportunity. Scouts & services are watching both.

Regarding GT, your guess is not particularly good if you don't think the staff isn't going to sell kids on being the next gold medalist, like Josh Okogie, or in a couple of years, the next NBA player or NBA draft pick, Josh Okogie.

Keep telling me what to do though.
You do not get a gold medal while losing in the semifinals. Josh is a fine player and I will be cheering for him. Just as I did this week, but he did not distinguish himself at the U19 event beyond making the team. As a Tech guy I am proud of that. But, I know, from playing college basketball, that he has shortcomings in his game that will keep him from playing in the NBA if he doesn't improve those skills. That was my point.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You do not get a gold medal while losing in the semifinals. Josh is a fine player and I will be cheering for him. Just as I did this week, but he did not distinguish himself at the U19 event beyond making the team. As a Tech guy I am proud of that. But, I know, from playing college basketball, that he has shortcomings in his game that will keep him from playing in the NBA if he doesn't improve those skills. That was my point.

And yet you chose to poorly make that point in response to my commentary about how Calipari botched the semifinals by not making an in-game adjustment towards sturdier defense and more structure overall. Something Josh could've made a nice contribution towards.

Interestingly, Iowa State publicized the success of their incoming PG.

Oregon did the same with its players.

Kentucky tweeted everything they could about it.
https://twitter.com/KentuckyMBB

That's cool that you played college hoops and all, but I feel you've made it clear that was quite some time ago. Many many aspects of the game have changed substantially from 10 years ago, let alone whatever era you may have played in. Something to consider when providing commentary.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Dang girls. It's the internet.

It was clear we weren't playing to play well early. Any suggestion that Cal was coaching to get the best from his players is proven nonsense by what he let them get away with in the blow out games.

After Angola, Josh did not make his presence felt when in. Part of that, imo, was from how he was used, but so it goes.

I'm confident that it was a good experience for him that will pay dividends.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
You don't have to be a basketball savant (NBA or college) to recognize bad basketball when you see it and the US effort against Canada was bad basketball. The stereotypical AAU approach to just out athlete the opponent. Calipari did himself no favors for coaching the Olympic team by allowing that to happen.

I do think JO benefited from the competition, exposure and just being selected. He should come back more confident in his abilities. That helps him and by default GT basketball.

Yup. Someone mentioned something about we don't know what's going on in the locker room etc. that's true but my commentary on Cal wasn't so much "my kid should be playing!!" As it was questioning critical in game decisions. Removing Wiley for PJW was just ridiculous. Leaving Heuter on Barrett was equally as bad. Not bringing Pritchard back in the second half until 3:45 left in the 3rd? He was playing better than anyone going into the half!!!

I couldn't find stats on the whole tournament but it's no surprise that Diallo and PJW are signed with UK (I actually like PJW as a player, impressive athlete) and UK is deeeep in on *gasp* Reddish and King. These 4 were on the floor a ton.

Diallo was exposed in this tournament, he should have stayed in the draft. Louis King, has the look of a player but he wasn't ready for that tournament and neither was Reddish. The AAU mentality kicked in with both. Either stand around and shoot a 3 ( King) (and miss) or just out athlete everyone (Reddish) and a lot of that goes on Cal, they didn't run ANYTHING. Ran a 4 out on offense and were lucky that Wiley and McCoy are beasts on the offensive glass or we may not have even taken the Bronze.