Okogie makes USA Under 19 team.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Don't understand Calipari busy recruiting comment.
As badly as USA played, there was a need to try something to get something going. Stats show zero across the board for Josh. Don't see how he could have screwed up.

Just roll with the anti Cal stuff.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I have admittedly seen about 2 full games in this tournament but I do not understand Reddish and King getting the type of minutes they are rcving. Huerter guarding Barrett was just ridiculous especially since he has provided zero offense, Josh is a better defender and more versatile on the offensive end. Cal is doing more than just trying to win that game.

Just my opinion.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for comments. I have no idea of play making capabilities of individuals except to see how poorly today was. If Josh not hurt, then has to be poor coaching or as you say doing more than trying to win. They played like they partied all night.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
This team is having some serious chemistry issues IMHO. I would have put Edwards Pritchard J-Ok PJW and Wiley on the court personally.

Why Cal subbed in PJW for Wiley on that two shot foul can never be justified to me. On a rebound we have to have he takes out Wiley for a nonshooter down 6. They miss 2, get the OR, get fouled, make 2 FT.

PJW is a UK signee.

At that point I'm putting Huerter in with Pritchard Edwards and possibly McCoy with Wiley.

BTW Hamadou Diallo ****ing sucks and is a p***k

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I didn't track who was and was not UK recruits but any way you look at it Cal allowed his team to play me first offense and without any passion on D. Canada was driving at will with no help from the US while we continually tried to drive through 3 Canadians without benefit of this modern new technique called passing. Cal stuck with 6 or so guys the last half of the game with a group that wasn't getting it done. TOs and substitutions were called for.

Canada played well and did a good job of keeping the tempo slower - and didn't give up live ball TOs to the press - so full credit to them - but Cal didn't help his recruiting much with that performance today.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I didn't track who was and was not UK recruits but any way you look at it Cal allowed his team to play me first offense and without any passion on D. Canada was driving at will with no help from the US while we continually tried to drive through 3 Canadians without benefit of this modern new technique called passing. Cal stuck with 6 or so guys the last half of the game with a group that wasn't getting it done. TOs and substitutions were called for.

Canada played well and did a good job of keeping the tempo slower - and didn't give up live ball TOs to the press - so full credit to them - but Cal didn't help his recruiting much with that performance today.

Diallo is a UK player who deserved about 0 2nd half minutes. I like PJW but when you need a rebound or an actual team play he needs to be about the 13th man

Techster

Helluva Engineer
WTH happened?! Calipari lost with all that talent? To Canada?! This isn't hockey, this is friggin basketball! Josh played like 1 minute?!!

Cripes...

That's exactly why Calipari should never be considered for the NBA.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
In all fairness, CN has had some high level bball kids lately so this result shouldn't be all that surprising.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Josh was 1 for 12 shooting in the previous 2 games. I guess that was Calapari's fault too.

None of us know what is going on in the locker room, and no one should be jumping to conclusions.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Josh was 1 for 12 shooting in the previous 2 games. I guess that was Calapari's fault too.

None of us know what is going on in the locker room, and no one should be jumping to conclusions.

Josh definitely had a couple of bad games. I'm not jumping to a conclusion when I watche RJ Barrett abuse Kevin Huerter because he can't keep up on defense, abuse Hami Diallo because he doesn't want to play defense, and abuse Cam Reddish because he doesn't know how to play defense. Barrett would've gotten his share regardless, but when the game was screaming for the US to ratchet up its defensive effort, Josh sat there on the bench watching those 3 kids get clowned and, on top of that, not living up to their offensive reps, which I would absolutely concede they have advantage over Josh.

That is 100% Calipari's fault.

The cherry on top was Cal pretending like PJ Washington was some sort of stretch 4 with a good enough handle to drive the lane consistently. Kid is talented, but if the team only has 3 post players and 9 perimeter players, it's pretty obvious Cal built it to play small ball, then he went big while small ball kicked his *** yesterday.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Josh definitely had a couple of bad games. I'm not jumping to a conclusion when I watche RJ Barrett abuse Kevin Huerter because he can't keep up on defense, abuse Hami Diallo because he doesn't want to play defense, and abuse Cam Reddish because he doesn't know how to play defense. Barrett would've gotten his share regardless, but when the game was screaming for the US to ratchet up its defensive effort, Josh sat there on the bench watching those 3 kids get clowned and, on top of that, not living up to their offensive reps, which I would absolutely concede they have advantage over Josh.

That is 100% Calipari's fault.

The cherry on top was Cal pretending like PJ Washington was some sort of stretch 4 with a good enough handle to drive the lane consistently. Kid is talented, but if the team only has 3 post players and 9 perimeter players, it's pretty obvious Cal built it to play small ball, then he went big while small ball kicked his *** yesterday.
None of this matters re GT basketball. Get over it.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
None of this matters re GT basketball. Get over it.
It matters regarding USA Basketball, which I happen to enjoy & care about.

Also, as often is the case, you're wrong. It does matter re GT basketball because the more Josh succeeds, individually, or as part of Team USA, it's more positive data about GT to showcase to recruits.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Dtm, I admire what you do following recruiting, but you don't know more about college basketball or the progression to the NBA. Josh should be proud to have made the U19 team and the one game where he played up to the potential we expected was nice. But this exposure did nothing for his NBA chances or GT recruiting. At least, not yet. And your guess is no better than mine.

Let's chill. We're on the same side.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Dtm, I admire what you do following recruiting, but you don't know more about college basketball or the progression to the NBA. Josh should be proud to have made the U19 team and the one game where he played up to the potential we expected was nice. But this exposure did nothing for his NBA chances or GT recruiting. At least, not yet. And your guess is no better than mine.

Let's chill. We're on the same side.

I promise you I watch more games throughout the year and absorb more news throughout the year about the college game & NBA game than most, so my recommendation is that you shouldn't make extremely bad assumptions about how much I know or don't know.

I'm sure Josh is damn proud and I'm damn proud of him and his representation of GT, but your roll of bad takes continues. The exposure at USA tryouts, as well as against foreign competition, can absolutely impact an NBA opportunity. Scouts & services are watching both.

Regarding GT, your guess is not particularly good if you don't think the staff isn't going to sell kids on being the next gold medalist, like Josh Okogie, or in a couple of years, the next NBA player or NBA draft pick, Josh Okogie.

Keep telling me what to do though.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
You don't have to be a basketball savant (NBA or college) to recognize bad basketball when you see it and the US effort against Canada was bad basketball. The stereotypical AAU approach to just out athlete the opponent. Calipari did himself no favors for coaching the Olympic team by allowing that to happen.

I do think JO benefited from the competition, exposure and just being selected. He should come back more confident in his abilities. That helps him and by default GT basketball.

Last edited: