OK, #BCvsGT Postgame. BC wins 41-30

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
As much as I have disliked the OC since day one we are still putting up somewhat decent yardage numbers with a garbage OL

If we actually had a little above average defense we would be bowling this season

If we actually had an above average offensive line and an above average defense, we could actually br a pretty good team

The DC has to go and the OL coach has to go

I would give the OC one more season
So I’m curious what CGC should have said about Tre? I’m not suggesting you’re wrong in calling him out what he did say. I’m just wondering how he should have addressed the question without being seen as “throwing players under the bus.” Is it that he went too far in over-complimenting Tre on the game and in general? I’m being totally serious in my question because I didn’t have a problem with how he described what happened. I thought where he “jumped the shark” was in then heaping effusive praise on Tre after a pretty bad game. Is that what is bothering you, too?

In general if you’ve listened to any of his press conferences you know he won’t call out or even come close to calling out a single player. I thought he made it clear in his own way that some of the penalties were acts of selfishness. I feel like if you listen carefully you can tell who he’s upset with and I’m OK with him being vague about that stuff. I think what I wish he’d stop doing is being overly complimentary to guys who just had a game where they didn’t close the deal.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I actually watched his presser which I usually don't. He looked defeated. I also watched the interviews with Yates and Gibbs. I could not hear Gibbs. He looked totally dejected with his hoodie pulled up. Not sure he stays another year.

I have a feeling GIbbs is using the portal when the season ends. He's been openly frustrated on the field and on the sidelines. He has one season left before he can go pro, and it just looks like he's ready to use it on a team that will make full use of his talents as well as play meaningful games. Hope I'm wrong, but it does not appear he enjoys playing here anymore.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Most good coaches makes the other team pay until they change/adjust. We save them the trouble & we change to see if something else, like Gibbs on a dive, works also. We’ll try that & fail 6-8 times just to confirm it doesn’t work. Bafffling.
This 100% is my biggest complaint right now on offense. I’m not now, nor have I ever been a fan of CDP. But if would just make the other team stop us before making big changes we might have another win. Though to be fair most of our losses so far have been on the defense.

But if you told me CDP wasn’t coming back next year I wouldn’t shed a tear. Well maybe one or two of happiness.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Tre Swilling will most likely not get drafted. He probably will get a chance to try out for an NFL roster but most who go that route do not actually make an NFL roster or even a practice team assignment. At some point, you have to produce results. Our collective defense now carries the reputation as one of the worst in Division One football. Our statistical performance in every defensive category is near the bottom. I think there are 120 or so teams in Division One and our ranking is probably around 115 or so in almost every category. There are no defensive difference makers wearing white and gold this season.

Go Jackets!

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
The fact is and everybody should know this if they don’t know already is that we got junior college coaches trying to coach and learn in the acc level and it’s not ever going to work. If Collins is going to succeed he is going to half to replace 80 percent of his staff Bc they are not ready for the acc. Thacker Coleman Burton p nut the special teams coach and strength coach is not going to cut it. The only ones he’s should keep is choice knight Dixon and would keep key for one more year to see if he can figure the ol out.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
So I’m curious what CGC should have said about Tre? I’m not suggesting you’re wrong in calling him out what he did say. I’m just wondering how he should have addressed the question without being seen as “throwing players under the bus.” Is it that he went too far in over-complimenting Tre on the game and in general? I’m being totally serious in my question because I didn’t have a problem with how he described what happened. I thought where he “jumped the shark” was in then heaping effusive praise on Tre after a pretty bad game. Is that what is bothering you, too?

In general if you’ve listened to any of his press conferences you know he won’t call out or even come close to calling out a single player. I thought he made it clear in his own way that some of the penalties were acts of selfishness. I feel like if you listen carefully you can tell who he’s upset with and I’m OK with him being vague about that stuff. I think what I wish he’d stop doing is being overly complimentary to guys who just had a game where they didn’t close the deal.
Again, something that doesn’t come across as disingenuous. “Tre had a tough outing today. We need him to play better if we are going to win. But look, it’s not all on him…” and then give examples of other problems without calling out players.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I can’t imagine Collins not firing Thacker, burton, popovich at the end of the season to try and get some of the pressure off of him. But like others have said, I don’t know what competent DC or coach is coming here to be under Collins as I think he is a dead man walking at the end of next season. I feel like it would have to be someone from div 2 or G5 level looking for a big pay raise, etc. Although I think the next DC will actually have a better roster to do things with after graduation of several players and/or moving on of players. We have too much loyalty to some veteran players that aren’t producing and hurt the team. Maybe it is true that no one behind them is better, which is a really scary thought and means recruiting rankings aren’t matching up.

We looked pretty decent offensively for the first part of the game, but I’ve come to the conclusion that CDP comes in every game with a script of about 10 plays. Those 10 plays work and then after we are done with them, and he didn’t plan for anything else, so we just start guessing at things to see what will work and start looking completely lost. You can see this with how we always have to burn timeouts as our offensive staff can’t figure out what play to run so our play clock runs out and we look panicked.

I wanted Collins to succeed. I think he brought an energy/excitement to GT on a national scene, which is a good thing. But at this point I have zero confidence in his actual coaching ability and his blind loyalty to coaches and players. There’s nothing wrong with supporting your guys but at the end of the day you’re the boss and you’re paid to win games not be everyone’s best friend and cheerleader.

If no changes are made at the end of the season, good luck getting more than 10K fans to games next season. Who knows, maybe he will prove us all wrong and have some miracle season next year, but 3 wins seems like a safe bet for some reason.
I agree with this post

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
The transfer portal will be interesting after the season. If our best players start jumping ship, the AD will have to concede that it is sinking…

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
A simple mano a mano couldn't be worse than this confused zone clustermuck, or whatever it is. Too much confusion in the secondary, too slow to react.
Recurring theme this season. As much as CGC and our AD try to convince all of us there is clear improvement with this team - it is a clear insult to our respective intelligence... We had horrible Defensive results during the CPJ era but this is even worse. Our upper classmates DB's are embarrassing to watch this year - so much confusion with wide open receivers on virtually every play... Worst defensive team I recall - ever... Longtime season ticket holder who won't renew if we don't make Defensive coaching changes...this is unwatchable...

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
This 100% is my biggest complaint right now on offense. I’m not now, nor have I ever been a fan of CDP. But if would just make the other team stop us before making big changes we might have another win. Though to be fair most of our losses so far have been on the defense.

But if you told me CDP wasn’t coming back next year I wouldn’t shed a tear. Well maybe one or two of happiness.
Probably not popular on this thread but I can watch our team play when we have the ball. We are at least an average team (statistically) on offense. But we our unwatchable when we don't have the ball. I don't believe our Defensive players are this bad - the collective whole is performing at a level (or two) below the individual parts. This points directly to our Defensive coaching performance....