Offseason workouts

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The squat is typically the easy part. Camp is making harder on himself, not easier. Dropping low like Q helps you get more weight. I see no issues with either form. The Camp technique is more common than the Q technique for non olympic/power lifters.
I know the way camp is doing it makes it harder, but that's only if he drops it low. He's barley going down so it's actually easier than what Q did unless he dropped it lower. If you watch competition that wouldn't even count as a rep, and thats for a reason, it's easier when our go half way down. The reason it's easier with how Q does it is simply because his weight is distributed evenly. When you do it the way camp is (if you drop it down) you are fighting against yourself. When you do it the way camp is you don't have that even weight, therefore you can have more pressure on one leg which can cause a knee injury, it is also harder on your back which can cause injury. I'm not opposed to the wider base but that's if it's a weight you can handle, and if you can drop it lower, imo you can't handle the weight if you can't do that.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I know the way camp is doing it makes it harder, but that's only if he drops it low. He's barley going down so it's actually easier than what Q did unless he dropped it lower. If you watch competition that wouldn't even count as a rep, and thats for a reason, it's easier when our go half way down. The reason it's easier with how Q does it is simply because his weight is distributed evenly. When you do it the way camp is (if you drop it down) you are fighting against yourself. When you do it the way camp is you don't have that even weight, therefore you can have more pressure on one leg which can cause a knee injury, it is also harder on your back which can cause injury. I'm not opposed to the wider base but that's if it's a weight you can handle, and if you can drop it lower, imo you can't handle the weight if you can't do that.
I think we're confusing our terms here. In my lift terms, what you're describing is a "clean and squat" or "clean and front squat". For me, a clean is just getting it up from the floor to your chest in the stand up position. That may involve more or less of a squat depending on your technique and how much need you have to drop your level based on the weight. If you're cleaning light weight, you don't have to change your level as much because you can snatch it up from the floor high enough without even having to drop your level to "go down and get it". Camp's rep would definitely count in a "Clean" competition. If the workout involved doing "clean and squat", then the rep wouldn't count because you have to clean AND squat.

I'm not saying your lift terms are wrong, just that that's why we're having trouble getting on the same page. We're using the same term but we're talking about two different things.

So, my "clean and squat" = your "clean". And, I'm not sure you have a word for what I would just call a "clean".

It appears to me from the video, that this is not a "clean and squat" max lift, but rather just a max out on "clean".

You could argue that part of Camp's lift is more impressive because he was able to snatch it high enough on the initial movement to not have the need to drop his level as much or "go down and get it" to finish with the stand. In another sense Quaide's is more impressive because he snatched it from the floor, dropped his level quickly, and squatted it. Camp was more explosive on the snatch. Quaide was more explosive on the change in level. Both are strong as ______.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
@33jacket i think the records may have been moved due to renovations.

@vamosjackets is correct. This is a pure Power Clean. The S&C coach teaches to you to get "under the weight" and stand up with it. Where is Quaides lift?
I also agree that Camp is impressive because of not having the ideal technique for this lift. He literally muscled up 350lbs. With proper/better technique, he could add another possible 10-15lbs

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Who cares about his form...he is getting the job done, and is forming into a physical beast. Gonna be a baller blocking on the perimeter

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think we're confusing our terms here. In my lift terms, what you're describing is a "clean and squat" or "clean and front squat". For me, a clean is just getting it up from the floor to your chest in the stand up position. That may involve more or less of a squat depending on your technique and how much need you have to drop your level based on the weight. If you're cleaning light weight, you don't have to change your level as much because you can snatch it up from the floor high enough without even having to drop your level to "go down and get it". Camp's rep would definitely count in a "Clean" competition. If the workout involved doing "clean and squat", then the rep wouldn't count because you have to clean AND squat.

I'm not saying your lift terms are wrong, just that that's why we're having trouble getting on the same page. We're using the same term but we're talking about two different things.

So, my "clean and squat" = your "clean". And, I'm not sure you have a word for what I would just call a "clean".

It appears to me from the video, that this is not a "clean and squat" max lift, but rather just a max out on "clean".

You could argue that part of Camp's lift is more impressive because he was able to snatch it high enough on the initial movement to not have the need to drop his level as much or "go down and get it" to finish with the stand. In another sense Quaide's is more impressive because he snatched it from the floor, dropped his level quickly, and squatted it. Camp was more explosive on the snatch. Quaide was more explosive on the change in level. Both are strong as ______.
Ok, I see what you are saying. I did see him doing that as a clean and squat jmo because that's what Q Did. I do agree he's very explosive though and regardless of what he was trying to do he is extremely strong. My only concern was injury related. I did show my friend who creates crossfit workouts and use to travel to do crossfit team competition and he said for crossfit it would have counted as a rep (not sure about powerlifting competition) but he also said it is easier to get hurt with that form. I think we agree with more than we originally thought.

SlawDog

Banned
Ok, I see what you are saying. I did see him doing that as a clean and squat jmo because that's what Q Did. I do agree he's very explosive though and regardless of what he was trying to do he is extremely strong. My only concern was injury related. I did show my friend who creates crossfit workouts and use to travel to do crossfit team competition and he said for crossfit it would have counted as a rep (not sure about powerlifting competition) but he also said it is easier to get hurt with that form. I think we agree with more than we originally thought.

The 'clean and jerk' is a power lifting competitive lift. You won't follow find any competitive lifter with Camp's form. It's just not conducive to winning lifts.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The 'clean and jerk' is a power lifting competitive lift. You won't follow find any competitive lifter with Camp's form. It's just not conducive to winning lifts.
I agree with that, but he wasn't doing a clean and jerk. The jerk part would have meant he was pressing it over his head.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The clean and jerk (Quaid only cleaned the weight) is, along with the snatch, an Olympic lift. If I'm not mistaken, the power lifts are the squat, dead lift, and bench press. There are international competitions in both styles, but only Olympic lifting is in the, you know, Olympics.

But maybe things have changed. Nowadays I keep to conditioning exercises. I use the ones in Charles Gaines's Staying Hard, the best exercise book ever written.

Yes, I know. Get your minds out of the gutter.

tatertot1

Ramblin' Wreck
Did anybody see the ping pong table war with the players playing eac other on instagram? Brady Swilling and Terrel Lewis won over Quaide and somebody else couldnt tell who it was but it was funny yall need to watch it! Terrel was funny oh and Brady Swilling does a cartwheel at the end!

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Did anybody see the ping pong table war with the players playing eac other on instagram? Brady Swilling and Terrel Lewis won over Quaide and somebody else couldnt tell who it was but it was funny yall need to watch it! Terrel was funny oh and Brady Swilling does a cartwheel at the end!
It was a backflip actually. If you want to see it it's posted in the 2017 off-season thread

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I really do get where you are coming from, and I'm fine with losing a little bit of form, but that's not what I saw from camp. I wouldn't even count that as 1 full rep, he didn't even really squat it, it was only half way, and that's why I said I don't like it. If he would half set in like Q I don't think he would have gotten it up. I agree with how you get stronger even if you lose a little form on the back side of your rep. I understand you must push yourself and if your form is 100% perfect your probably not doing enough, so I think my comments probably haven't came across how it should have.

I guess my main point is, you can get strong without doing what I saw because it wasn't really doing anything when it wasn't a full rep, and on top of that the form was bad. I just don't see the point in doubling the chance of injury when you have that chance on the field already.

One thing to consider, the point of max day isn't really getting stronger, but testing to see where you're at instead. This was pure "show me the best you got" for the guys...I'm sure during their regular building lifts they focus more on form.