Offseason workouts

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Just watched the Quaide vid. Wow! (The the part that makes me wince on that one is the wrists.) Also, noticed how nonchalant the ST coach is in the background.
I've never gotten into cleans, but I think you're supposed to rest it on the front of your shoulders when you bring it up? His weight seems all supported by wrists. A friend of mine suffered a substantial stress fracture in his wrist from poor form that impacted his ability to play tennis for years. But if the ST coach is there, then I guess it must be alright. Just looks painful to me.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
When my brother played under Curry they used to have a wall in the Edge center with all the lifting records for each position.

Correct. But when i walked in a while back some of the old time records and holders were gone. And i know the new numbers weren't better.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I'm trying to be nice, but if you're trying to turn your guys into savages, then you've got to do savage lifting. I don't get some of the ... what's a good word ... worrisome? ... responses about the intensity of the lifting. It's no different than practice ... You want competition, intensity, guys pushing themselves beyond what's "safe". You might have some injuries, but if you don't do this, then you're guaranteed to not be getting the most out of your guys and your program. Football is brutal, it's ugly sometimes when you're trying to beat the guy across from you and he's trying to beat you, you get into vulnerable positions. Do you think Qua's dive into the endzone was perfect form or "safe"? What about Mills' plowing through the uGA linebackers to score? Or any OL drive blocking a 320lb DT on 80% of the plays we run? Compared to the game, this is child's play.

The clean is probably the most practical/transferrable lift to actual playing dynamics that there is. Exciting to see some of our guys going to higher levels.

Deleted member 2897

I'm trying to be nice, but if you're trying to turn your guys into savages, then you've got to do savage lifting. I don't get some of the ... what's a good word ... worrisome? ... responses about the intensity of the lifting. It's no different than practice ... You want competition, intensity, guys pushing themselves beyond what's "safe". You might have some injuries, but if you don't do this, then you're guaranteed to not be getting the most out of your guys and your program. Football is brutal, it's ugly sometimes when you're trying to beat the guy across from you and he's trying to beat you, you get into vulnerable positions. Do you think Qua's dive into the endzone was perfect form or "safe"? What about Mills' plowing through the uGA linebackers to score? Or any OL drive blocking a 320lb DT on 80% of the plays we run? Compared to the game, this is child's play.

The clean is probably the most practical/transferrable lift to actual playing dynamics that there is. Exciting to see some of our guys going to higher levels.

I can't speak for anybody else, and I know next to nothing about weightlifting, so you need to take that into account when reading my post. What I read on here were many people who appeared to know what they were talking about with regards to form. Its one thing to lift a lot, work hard, etc. I think we're all for that. What I was voicing is that lifting out of control is not healthy and sustainable. If they're doing it right in the videos, then my comment is off base. I wasn't referring to effort level or anything like that at all.

HwwQbmF3Y4hdm.gif

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Im fine with power lifting etc. but I'm not ok with crossfit training, it's a lot of see how fast you can do this and how heavy. I know someone who personally makes the workouts for a crossfit gym and there are a ton of injuries in doing crossfit, its really not good on your body. Also form matter, if you have bad form the easier it is for injuries, so they need to make sure they are doing weight and good for. If the form isn't good then they really aren't getting the best workout anyways, they could get a better work out and stronger by lessening the weight and doing it correctly. Also there is a big difference in having 300 pounds of weight on your shoulders than blocking someone of 300 pounds or trying to get into the end zone against 300 pound guys. Plus your talking about a game, I'm pretty sure Guys would rather get injured in a game for a win compared to weight lifting, I think it's hard to compare the two.

Last edited:

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Im fine with power lifting etc. but I'm not ok with crossfit training, it's a lot of see how fast you can do this and how heavy. I know someone who personally makes the workouts for a crossfit gym and there are a ton of injuries in doing crossfit, its really not good on your body. Also form matter, if you have bad form the easier it is for injuries, so they need to make sure they are doing weight and good for. If the form isn't good then they really aren't getting the best workout anyways, they could get a better work out and stronger by lessening the weight and doing it correctly.
What about football? Is that good for your body?

SlawDog

Banned
I thought they were both great... were they both clean.. nah but moving around that much weight might be a little hard to keep perfect form... both had spotters around them. so safety was there....... give em hell Jackets!!!
I agree but the toes of the cheering squad almost came into play on QW's clean!

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I can't speak for anybody else, and I know next to nothing about weightlifting, so you need to take that into account when reading my post. What I read on here were many people who appeared to know what they were talking about with regards to form. Its one thing to lift a lot, work hard, etc. I think we're all for that. What I was voicing is that lifting out of control is not healthy and sustainable. If they're doing it right in the videos, then my comment is off base. I wasn't referring to effort level or anything like that at all.

HwwQbmF3Y4hdm.gif
You're hitting near my point. When you lift normally you're doing 90% of it in controlled form, but those last 10 reps are always shaky; if not, then you're probably not pushing yourself enough. In practice, you're focused on the fundamentals and correct form, but when you're scrimmaging and especially when the lights come on and it's just straight up competition with the other guy who practices "correct form" also, then somethings got to give. What gives is the guy who out-muscles the other. And, that is what lifting helps. In order to make a crucial play our guys will have to go beyond the correct form to beast mode sometimes, diving, stretching, twisting, pushing while turned awkwardly. How can you simulate that? Live, intense practice/scrimmage is the best way. Maxing out the lifts is a good way, when you can't practice/scrimmage.

Remember when Deshaun Watson scored that first TD against Bama tip-toeing the sideline while someone was pushing him out. His knee could have given way, his career over, the game lost ... or you know, he might score the TD and win the NfC.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
What about football? Is that good for your body?
Of course not, but its their choice to play. My main point though is, there's no need to do weight lifting if you have awful form. If your form is awful you are actually prohibiting yourself from getting stronger than if you went down in weight and did the proper form. Let's take bench press for an example, if you are trying to key in on your chest why would you do "normal" grip which involves your triceps more? You can do 350 with a "normal" grip but if you drop down to 315 and widen your grip you are actually building your chest more, because it's the proper form to build that muscle. If you are doing a clean what's the point in doing 350 and not even dropping low with awful form if you can get a better workout by dropping weight and doing it right to actually get a good workout and get stronger? That's all I'm trying to get at. Bad form= injuries and slower strength gain. Great form = less injuries and faster strength gain. Like you said they can get injuries in a game so what's the point in making injuries even a greater chance by weightlifting? That doubles your chance of injury, doesn't make much sense to me just so they can say I did this much weight when it didn't really help them get better at anything.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Hope work outs are monitored by weight lifted previously. At smaller div 1 school my son ruptured vertebrae doing a big jump in weight for official clean. They had little supervision.
Ended playing career and started coaching carrer.
I am sure they watch weight like a hawk.