Offseason Media 2024

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I would use DJ the way Auburn used Cam Ward. He would carry the ball 20 times a game. He's a load to tackle and bigger than most LB's. Not much to teach either.
The 2022 Clemson game in Death Valley with DJ at the helm scored 14 points against us. From what I hear out of the FSU media, DJ has a cannon arm and loves to throw the deep ball, but is inconsistent with making plays necessary for 75 yard sustained drives. The FSU offense takes a significant step back in every category except throwing bombs and running QB follows up the middle. My prediction / speculation is Brock Glenn will take over as FSU's QB when it becomes clear FSU will not make the playoffs.

seanfloyd18

Georgia Tech Fan
Haynes King INTs;

-1 against Louisville
-1 against Wake
-2 against Bowling Green
-2 against Miami
-3 against Boston College
-1 against UNC
-4 against Clemson
-1 against Cuse
-1 against UCF (bowl)

In the games where he had exactly 1 INT, I honestly don’t care about that INT. We were 4-1 in those games, and there’s always going to be some risk involved with the deep ball game. If his INTs looked like these all season, we’d be happy. I’m okay with averaging 1 a game if we go 10-2 for it.

We will inevitably have pics thrown in any game where we fall behind, because Haynes is a baller who is trying to single-handedly keep us in a game. I do see us avoiding these situations more often this coming season with OL improvement and WR improvement.

Games he threw way too many:
-Clemson (fell behind early, tried to give us a chance to win and forced bad throws)
-Boston College (game we should compete in, fall behind early, force some throws to keep us in the game…)
-Bowling Green (defense doesn’t show up, tries to force throws to keep us in the game…you see the pattern?)

9 INTs in those 3 games.

2 INT not mentioned so far are Miami, who honestly did have some generational talent in their DB room - but even those two INTs didn’t stop his confidence from winning that game in the final drive.

Note, against uGA and Ole Miss, who inarguably had the two best defenses we faced, didn’t get an INT.

If the coaches, playcalling, and defense allow us to take early leads and prevent early scores from our opponents, the run game will win games for us and Haynes will not force bad throws. Haynes decision making improves, he maybe uses legs for 4-5 yards instead of some of these forced throws. Or takes the RB dump off like Tom Brady did for 40 years or something.

He needs to have under 10 INTs this season for us to have the Wins we want. But outside of the 3 games where we absolutely blew it (Bowling Green, Boston College, Clemson), but if we exclude those 3 games, he only had 7 INTs.

Weinke is great. Buster is great. This has potential to be the best GT OL in my lifetime (since 2000). Trust in Brent, load these boys in the Geep, and let’s hit some DCs where the sun don’t shine.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Haynes King INTs;

-1 against Louisville
-1 against Wake
-2 against Bowling Green
-2 against Miami
-1 against UNC
-4 against Clemson
-1 against Cuse
-1 against UCF (bowl)

In the games where he had exactly 1 INT, I honestly don’t care about that INT. We were 4-1 in those games, and there’s always going to be some risk involved with the deep ball game. If his INTs looked like these all season, we’d be happy. I’m okay with averaging 1 a game if we go 10-2 for it.

We will inevitably have pics thrown in any game where we fall behind, because Haynes is a baller who is trying to single-handedly keep us in a game. I do see us avoiding these situations more often this coming season with OL improvement and WR improvement.

-Clemson (fell behind early, tried to give us a chance to win and forced bad throws)
-Boston College (game we should compete in, fall behind early, force some throws to keep us in the game…)
-Bowling Green (defense doesn’t show up, tries to force throws to keep us in the game…you see the pattern?)

9 INTs in those 3 games.

2 INT not mentioned so far are Miami, who honestly did have some generational talent in their DB room - but even those two INTs didn’t stop his confidence from winning that game in the final drive.

Note, against uGA and Ole Miss, who inarguably had the two best defenses we faced, didn’t get an INT.

If the coaches, playcalling, and defense allow us to take early leads and prevent early scores from our opponents, the run game will win games for us and Haynes will not force bad throws. Haynes decision making improves, he maybe uses legs for 4-5 yards instead of some of these forced throws. Or takes the RB dump off like Tom Brady did for 40 years or something.

He needs to have under 10 INTs this season for us to have the Wins we want. But outside of the 3 games where we absolutely blew it (Bowling Green, Boston College, Clemson), but if we exclude those 3 games, he only had 7 INTs.

Weinke is great. Buster is great. This has potential to be the best GT OL in my lifetime (since 2000). Trust in Brent, load these boys in the Geep, and let’s hit some DCs where the sun don’t shine.
Good analysis, and echoes some thoughts I had about Haynes' interceptions.

Last year he talked about playing "complementary football". If our defense plays better and doesn't put our offense in a position where we have to make up multiple scores just to have a chance in the second half, we will likely have fewer interceptions and more wins.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Haynes King INTs;

-1 against Louisville
-1 against Wake
-2 against Bowling Green
-2 against Miami
-1 against UNC
-4 against Clemson
-1 against Cuse
-1 against UCF (bowl)

9 INTs in those 3 games.

It’s up to King to cut down his interceptions. They are real issues.

Hopefully his receivers will take a significant step forward this season as well.

The Defense is obviously the biggest question. There is “hope” now that it will be better but we really don’t know at this point.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
The Defense is obviously the biggest question. There is “hope” now that it will be better but we really don’t know at this point.

there's not much room to get any worse...i don't expect to see a top 10 defense anytime soon, but there has to be some improvement on that side of the ball. Our front seven (or six?) has to really step it up - both with pressuring the passer and stopping the run - otherwise, we could be very disappointed this year

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I think at least several of the INTs were more on the receiver than on King as well. One of the issues I saw early on last season was our receivers not being physical and going after the ball - if it was contested, we weren't catching it. IDK who's coaching receivers now, but we need them to fight to make plays and not rely on perfect uncontested passes.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
there's not much room to get any worse...i don't expect to see a top 10 defense anytime soon, but there has to be some improvement on that side of the ball. Our front seven (or six?) has to really step it up - both with pressuring the passer and stopping the run - otherwise, we could be very disappointed this year
I expect improvement on defense. I have been going to at least one or two Duke games for many years now plus their games on tv up here in RTP. There was a real improvement when Elko was there and we have two of his best guys now. It was noticeable how much better their tackling had improved especially open field tackling in the secondary. Very few busted assignments.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I expect improvement on defense. I have been going to at least one or two Duke games for many years now plus their games on tv up here in RTP. There was a real improvement when Elko was there and we have two of his best guys now. It was noticeable how much better their tackling had improved especially open field tackling in the secondary. Very few busted assignments.
That is the reason for Hope. We will learn a lot in late August against FSU!

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
HK seemed to be doing just great and then all of a sudden he would throw into dbl and even triple coverage, seemed like a mental lapse. I do 'em all the time, but it only cost me usually :)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
HK seemed to be doing just great and then all of a sudden he would throw into dbl and even triple coverage, seemed like a mental lapse. I do 'em all the time, but it only cost me usually :)

To be fair, that was the criticism of King coming out of Texas A&M as well. I think another year in the system and playing with (mostly) the same guys will do a world of good for him and cutting back on TOs.

I also think Buster Faulkner is just getting started as well. We probably had one of the most creative run games overall using all of our personnel. I keep thinking about that one play against UGA where King kept it off jet motion scored a TD, and how many ways Faulkner could have went with it. We probably score if King didn't keep it as well. UGA's defense was so confused. Now Faulkner knows his QB, and what King can do. This offense should be even more fun to watch this year.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, that was the criticism of King coming out of Texas A&M as well. I think another year in the system and playing with (mostly) the same guys will do a world of good for him and cutting back on TOs.

I also think Buster Faulkner is just getting started as well. We probably had one of the most creative run games overall using all of our personnel. I keep thinking about that one play against UGA where King kept it off jet motion scored a TD, and how many ways Faulkner could have went with it. We probably score if King didn't keep it as well. UGA's defense was so confused. Now Faulkner knows his QB, and what King can do. This offense should be even more fun to watch this year.
It's reasonable to expect our offense to improve with our returning players, plus additional talent on offense (either new or coming back from injury) and another year in the system. If both our offense and defense improve, even slightly, we'll be a problem for most of the teams we face.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

I think you’re on the money that the offense should be even more fun to watch and more explosive and versatile this coming season. I expect HK to protect the ball better and I also expect his WRs to do a better job of being where they are supposed to be and not get outfought for the ball by DBs.

BTW protecting the ball better doesn’t mean holding it longer. It just means making even better decisions.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I think you’re on the money that the offense should be even more fun to watch and more explosive and versatile this coming season. I expect HK to protect the ball better and I also expect his WRs to do a better job of being where they are supposed to be and not get outfought for the ball by DBs.

BTW protecting the ball better doesn’t mean holding it longer. It just means making even better decisions.
That’s my hope. I need to see the offense show it can consistently be excellent before I am sold it will be great. They flashed that at times last year.

I am still a skeptic the defense will become ACC average. That is my hope for this season on defense.

If the offense reaches excellence and the defense is ACC average we should have a solid season against what on paper looks like a tough schedule.

There is one more Portal window so we really don’t know at this point who will be here in the Fall.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Damn. Didn’t realize HK threw 16 INTs last year. Need him to clean that up for sure.
a bunch of garbage time INT's. Nothing to see here, move along.

He's a maverick. He thinks he can slip a pass into anywhere. That was my biggest takeaway from last Spring. However, the fall campaign showed me that he was a bit more judicious than last spring.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
a bunch of garbage time INT's. Nothing to see here, move along.

He's a maverick. He thinks he can slip a pass into anywhere. That was my biggest takeaway from last Spring. However, the fall campaign showed me that he was a bit more judicious than last spring.
That may be his Achilles heel. It got him benched at A&M plus he got injured. He needs to stay healthy like last year and cut down INT's for us to have a really good year.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I don't mind the moxie and aggression. I think much of the time him forcing things was because he was feeling unsure and not able to see and process what he needed to quickly enough. That is what I hope to change. Don't want to take aggression away for the sake of it, though.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
King definitely forced some throws especially when trailing or games felt in danger in the second half, but due to those circumstances I’m less concerned than if he was digging holes himself with a bunch of first-half ints.

Let’s just stop falling behind against the BG’s of the world. ;)

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
King definitely forced some throws especially when trailing or games felt in danger in the second half, but due to those circumstances I’m less concerned than if he was digging holes himself with a bunch of first-half ints.

Let’s just stop falling behind against the BG’s of the world. ;)
Really how well GT does this season is all about the defense and health.