Offseason Media 2024

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Don’t want to 1) breach any paywalls 2) shill JacketsOnline.com/Kelly Quinlan too much but let’s just say my personal expectations for how much improvement we’re going to see from the defense are skyrocketing right now on what I’m hearing from insiders.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck

F$U is still obsessing over the 'snub' from last year. I feel like that is to our benefit in game 1. A lot of negativity and distraction around their program. On paper, they have more talent. But I feel like there's a really good chance we'll be the more focused and prepared team.

All six of them that are still on the team?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Don’t want to 1) breach any paywalls 2) shill JacketsOnline.com/Kelly Quinlan too much but let’s just say my personal expectations for how much improvement we’re going to see from the defense are skyrocketing right now on what I’m hearing from insiders.
Sneaky dark horse to be the best team in the ACC. Only concern is depth. Stay healthy and I think we can compete with anybody. A couple of key players missing for a few games could mean struggling to make a bowl game again, though.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck

This interview has me more optimistic about this season! Key has always been pretty realistic in his evaluations since he has been at Tech. Most of the time he will give praise to a player and then also mention areas that need to be worked on. This was one of the first interviews I can think of where it was almost all positive praise and he seemed to have genuine excitement for the strength in many areas of the team. The only criticism I noticed was the younger backs (likey including Carrie) seeming to have issues with ball security.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck

Both Jamal Haynes and Haynes King named to the preseason Maxwell Award watch list. ACC placed 20 on the watch list, most of any conference (SEC had 15, Big 12 had 15, Big 10 had 12)

Has to be wrong because the SEC walks on water and the ACC sucks at everything according to a few of our posters. I am glad both of our players are getting recognition. I hope they can improve upon last year and stay healthy!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Saw latest media acc preseason poll and we are in middle. FSU is top and Clemson is next

Last year we were in bottom 1/4 and finished strong with a terrible run defense.

Lets hope Clemson runs table to go to acc championship. That will give losses to teams,ahead of us. If we can win a few (Louisville, vt, unc, etc) and we get some help, the end ofxyear could be 2014 again.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Saw latest media acc preseason poll and we are in middle. FSU is top and Clemson is next

Last year we were in bottom 1/4 and finished strong with a terrible run defense.

Lets hope Clemson runs table to go to acc championship. That will give losses to teams,ahead of us. If we can win a few (Louisville, vt, unc, etc) and we get some help, the end ofxyear could be 2014 again.
Agree… we need to be marginal Clemson fans this year. They could help us with some key wins.

Conversely, there is no reason for us to root for SMU. I don’t know how good they really are, but they have a very favorable schedule (dare I say it looks like the easiest ACC schedule) and we won’t have any say in it.
They play FSU, at Lville, at Stan, at Duke, Pitt. BC, at UVa, Cal. Wouldn’t it be about the most “ACC” thing in the world for them to pull an upset against Lville, beat up on the bottom half of the conference and trot into the ACCCG at 7-1 in their first year of P4 football? Lord help us.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Agree… we need to be marginal Clemson fans this year. They could help us with some key wins.

Conversely, there is no reason for us to root for SMU. I don’t know how good they really are, but they have a very favorable schedule (dare I say it looks like the easiest ACC schedule) and we won’t have any say in it.
They play FSU, at Lville, at Stan, at Duke, Pitt. BC, at UVa, Cal. Wouldn’t it be about the most “ACC” thing in the world for them to pull an upset against Lville, beat up on the bottom half of the conference and trot into the ACCCG at 7-1 in their first year of P4 football? Lord help us.
SMU could do it, they’re no slouch.

slugboy

Staff member
Athlon ranks is #47 out of 134 teams (UNC is #45, for example).

The gist of the article
  • Last season was successful
  • This season has a brutal schedule, and Athlon thinks we probably won’t be bowling
  • Offense should rock, Faulkner is a talent
  • We hired new defensive coaches, but they assume defense will be weak

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Athlon ranks is #47 out of 134 teams (UNC is #45, for example).

The gist of the article
  • Last season was successful
  • This season has a brutal schedule, and Athlon thinks we probably won’t be bowling
  • Offense should rock, Faulkner is a talent
  • We hired new defensive coaches, but they assume defense will be weak
Hard to argue with that analysis. If the defense becomes decent we will be a good team but could easily lose 5-6 games.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Most of the acc teams ranked above us have a new qb.
FSU has lost 2 draftable wr and a qb. Louisville lost draftable WR and has new qb.

When unc had 2 great wr and great qb, they were awesome. Then wr left and it was not so good. Same happened at pitt, wake forest.

A very good WR is big deal

Our qb , king, and his wr buddy lane were dynamic till wr injury.
Add in Singleton with lane.
Stir in a maybe elecric #1 blackburn with a huge tight end
Have our oc dial up more scheme.
Presto!

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Most of the acc teams ranked above us have a new qb.
FSU has lost 2 draftable wr and a qb. Louisville lost draftable WR and has new qb.

When unc had 2 great wr and great qb, they were awesome. Then wr left and it was not so good. Same happened at pitt, wake forest.

A very good WR is big deal

Our qb , king, and his wr buddy lane were dynamic till wr injury.
Add in Singleton with lane.
Stir in a maybe elecric #1 blackburn with a huge tight end
Have our oc dial up more scheme.
Presto!
You forgot Malik Rutherford. Yes, the WR room is packed.