Official Ted Roof Discussion Thread

His knowledge of offense and defensive play are rudimentary. This is stuff everyone knows. 4 deep coverage for example gives underneath pass plays up. If you man up it just takes one weak link to create a quick score.

Our DL personel can be handled one on one in pass protection so most of the time when we bring pressure they have available protectors to pick it up.

Most of today's offense want you to bring pressure because it's easy for the QB. In other words he knows where he's going right now with the ball instead of having to read underneath coverage.

No one, me included, except for the coaches who are in that defensive film room game planning know the detail of which poison is better to pick.

DCs have to pick their poison when game planning against these offenses and it all comes down to personnel.
Isn't the traditional cliché associated with the "bend-don't-break" strategy that if you make an offense run enough plays they will eventually create an unforced error? Make an offense drive 80 or more yards without the long gainer and they will frequently self-destruct? That was Gospel once upon a time. I am not sure it holds true today. Too many offenses, i.e., like ours, can run 12 or 14 plays without turning it over or having the big loss than creates a punting situation. I think we need to attack once in a while to get a sack or a hurried pass or a batted ball, and either come up with the turnover, or at least force a punt.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know a lot about defense and I am not anti Roof. I do know we are not 94th in recruiting on the D side. There is a D problem that should be solvable. And, I love our players no matter what... this is "my" team.

Can anyone here say we try and disguise our coverage and blitzes? Does anyone who attends our games have 3rd down fatigue?

The tax slayer bowl "looked" much better scheme wise. @33jacket .... do you agree with supporting details?

Keep in mind Top 50 average is not to much to shoot for on D given our recruiting.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I really don't want to put down players but the DL knows we have trouble getting to the passer by defeating one on one blocks. By the same token we have trouble pass protecting one on one on offense. Offensively we employ a much different scheme than others that makes up for the difference. On D it's not that way. If you can't defeat one on one on D you have to blitz to hopefully get pressure. We haven't been able to do either well. When our Lbers blitz we have trouble defeating blockers. The answer then is bringing one more than they can block which most of the time requires 0 man or man free at the least. That's a tough way to make a living even if you have 4 five star fifth year seniors back there.

Bottom line is all of these coaches who all played and together have over 100 years experience between them coaching spend everyday watching film of technique and scheme player abilities, use the latest teaching techniques developed in conjunction with colleagues who have thousands of years of football coaching experience between them.

Even though I have coached at a high level over many years there is no way I can even begin to understand why Ted uses whatever scheme in whatever situation because I'm not there in the film room. Neither can anyone else even if they played or were in the GTAA or coached receivers one year in HS.

basic and obvious to steal your phrase.

Some things a 35 year coach should be able to share would be beneficial for all on the board.

Tell us why you think Freemans hand activity is below par, because it is. What is wrong with his technique?

Tell us what you think Kyle Henderson's biggest challenge is to become more consistent based on his film? Where is his greatest area of inprovement that he could work on?

Outside of the obvious Simmons needs to work on his hip flexibility which was in the paper what have you noticed about his inside rip move that doesn't seem to work when he sets up Ot on the outside with his speed rush?

What have you noticed as a primary issue in mitchells game at lb with respect to pass cvg?

I would love to know your observations here since this should be very basic for you to detail by simply watching a few minutes of youtube videos on past games. And you can do so without putting a player down...and since players are the issue this would be a great read for us to learn. I know far less about dl technique than other spots. So for me it would be good to learn

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't know a lot about defense and I am not anti Roof. I do know we are not 94th in recruiting on the D side. There is a D problem that should be solvable. And, I love our players no matter what... this is "my" team.

Can anyone here say we try and disguise our coverage and blitzes? Does anyone who attends our games have 3rd down fatigue?

The tax slayer bowl "looked" much better scheme wise. @33jacket .... do you agree with supporting details?

Keep in mind Top 50 average is not to much to shoot for on D given our recruiting.

Taxslayer was a good match for what we try to do on d. Our cover 4 is a nice match. And. We played well. Ted did a nice job in prep. I think he called a good game too. I was very complimentary of him mid game. We did a nice job, got a couple breaks but looked healthy too.

Just like we dont match up well with unc in scheme imo. We did with kentucky style imo, which is essentially a run heavy option zone base set.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I think another factor in which our O affects our D is in opposition aggressiveness. I've heard several coaches talk about the pressure to score every drive because of what GTs O does.

I don't suspect that @PBR549 will put numbers for expectations or give us the benefit of his coaching experience in discussing what he sees from our tapes.

He's defending his guy emotionally not rationally. That's cool. I wish he wouldn't attack other fans for their opinions, but I guess it goes with his defense of Ted.

For me, I don't think there's any reason for us to give up more than 46% on 3rd down vs pwr5 opp. I'd like to see that down below 40%, and 35% is reasonable.

The average D playing more than 2 pwr5 teams a year gives up 2 or 2.1 ppd. I think we should be able to do that at least.

The best Ds are holding Pwr5 teams to 4-4.8 yds/play. If we could do better than 5.5-5.7 yds/play allowed on ave from pwr5 opps, I'd be satisfied.
My film grading days are over. That's the last thing I want to do now. I can tell you that there are plenty of bad coaches out there. Many I've worked with or dealt with in a recruiting capacity. I will tell it like it is when asked about those as well as those who are great coaches. If I don't know them or have an opinion on them I'll say that too. There's many people who don't like me and some who do. I've been a genius and an idiot depending on whether or not I had players. It's the same with any coach. I know what kind of coach Roof is and I love Tech. Yeah it pisses me off when somebody who has no idea continually wants to hurt the program I love because he wants to be the most important, smartest anonymous poster?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
@33jacket Can you tell us why you think top 45 D? What will change to make a top 45 D

A bit arbitrary, its not as good as tenutas to factor in for some talent misses, but top 50 or so seems reasonable with who we have. Nothing concrete. Just if you look at what those D do in that range its very, in fact more than reasonable, for us to do similar

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It's not guessing.
1) When guys make NFL rosters, they have talent. Suggesting that it was anointed on them after their Sr season is bizarre.
2) Coaches have talked about simplifying in order to let kids play faster. That's an admission that they weren't putting them in the best place to succeed to start with.
3) The complaint is not that we aren't a top 5 or top 10 or even top 20 D, but that we aren't top 50 or top 40. In fact, we've been bottom 30 and bottom 50 more often. I respect @PBR549 for consistently saying that we must have bottom 50 talent in his defense of Roof, but I don't buy it.

Come on man. I haven't implied any of our guys were anointed after leaving and it's disingenuous for you to imply that. You're a smart guy and Im pretty sure I stated my point clear enough for you to follow it without the BS.

What year can you cite, where we have had more than one player along the DL capable of consistently making disrupting plays against our opponents?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
His knowledge of offense and defensive play are rudimentary. This is stuff everyone knows. 4 deep coverage for example gives underneath pass plays up. If you man up it just takes one weak link to create a quick score.

Our DL personel can be handled one on one in pass protection so most of the time when we bring pressure they have available protectors to pick it up.

Most of today's offense want you to bring pressure because it's easy for the QB. In other words he knows where he's going right now with the ball instead of having to read underneath coverage.

No one, me included, except for the coaches who are in that defensive film room game planning know the detail of which poison is better to pick.

DCs have to pick their poison when game planning against these offenses and it all comes down to personnel.
Ok I can agree with some of these comments. But let me ask this, if it's just personnel don't you think we should change up to fit the personnel we have?

I have nothing against Roof, nor do I think anyone on here does. My issue is, that if you don't have the personnel to run the scheme you run, then you need to evolve as a coach. That imo is what great coaches do. I've said it before but I'll say it again, play to the players strengths, Dan Quinn says this and took a team to the super bowl after just two years for a reason. Do you think we are doing this or do you disagree to do that? I just don't get us saying it's personnel but then saying it's not scheme, they go hand and hand. Why run a scheme you don't have the personnel for? Does that make any sense to you? I don't see the reason for us not to get more exotic with blitz and coverages to help the guys out. There are plenty of teams that do this. Our coach does this on offense to help offset thing. We are running a D that takes factory type talent and even then it's not always the best, take auburn as an example.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Isn't the traditional cliché associated with the "bend-don't-break" strategy that if you make an offense run enough plays they will eventually create an unforced error? Make an offense drive 80 or more yards without the long gainer and they will frequently self-destruct? That was Gospel once upon a time. I am not sure it holds true today. Too many offenses, i.e., like ours, can run 12 or 14 plays without turning it over or having the big loss than creates a punting situation. I think we need to attack once in a while to get a sack or a hurried pass or a batted ball, and either come up with the turnover, or at least force a punt.
We do come with pressure and mix up coverages and really did more of that last year and hopefully more this year despite what others want you to think. The thing is you have to do is determine on a week to week basis how much you can do. A lot depends on the match ups both on the los and rec/db. Defense is about personnel. Defense is about speed bottom line.

You can't make blanket statements such as the corners can't play 10 yards off etc. Sometimes that's the lesser of two evils even though it's not popular on a message board.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
@PBR549 is 100 percent right when he said dc have to pick their poison when calling a game based on personnel. Totally correct.

And this is the basis of my criticism of roof. My opinion is this is what he is not doing well enough, ie his scheme is not matching who we have as good as it could. Now. The counter argument is maybe he is doing that perfectly. Ok. For me i think then the results would be better. Our talent is not perfect. But for me still not that bad. Thats why its my OPINION.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
My film grading days are over. That's the last thing I want to do now. I can tell you that there are plenty of bad coaches out there. Many I've worked with or dealt with in a recruiting capacity. I will tell it like it is when asked about those as well as those who are great coaches. If I don't know them or have an opinion on them I'll say that too. There's many people who don't like me and some who do. I've been a genius and an idiot depending on whether or not I had players. It's the same with any coach. I know what kind of coach Roof is and I love Tech. Yeah it pisses me off when somebody who has no idea continually wants to hurt the program I love because he wants to be the most important, smartest anonymous poster?
How can you claim it to be personnel as our issue if your film grading days are over? To say it's personal you should know why.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Like said, to be where we believe we can be (Double digit wins, ACC Champs, CFP) we have to be scoring Defense <=24ppg. Anything else don't matter
I don't think you can simplify it down to a single metric, I wish you could. Scoring Defense is so dependent on other factors that it's just not an accurate enough of a snap shot. The SoS of offenses we face can vary greatly year to year. The productivity of our offense has a huge part in it, too. If our O cannot stay on the field, it makes it twice as tough on a D to prevent scoring for many reasons.

Defensive efficiency may be the closest you can come to a single metric to define the quality of a defense. Maybe.

Me, I'm looking for improvement across the board in all statistical categories. If we do that, I'm happy. How much improvement, I dunno... 5 - 10%? It's hard to say because there are variables beyond the D's control that effect many of the stats.

I'm really looking for marked improvement in 3rd down D.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
@PBR549 is 100 percent right when he said dc have to pick their poison when calling a game based on personnel. Totally correct.

And this is the basis of my criticism of roof. My opinion is this is what he is not doing well enough, ie his scheme is not matching who we have as good as it could. Now. The counter argument is maybe he is doing that perfectly. Ok. For me i think then the results would be better. Our talent is not perfect. But for me still not that bad. Thats why its my OPINION.
I agree 33, imo if it is personnel, that tells me it's coaching as well. It is madness to run a system that your personnel is not capable of running. My dad coached defense at a private school and he was always looking up new things to make the team better "evolving" as a coach to make the team better.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck

Some things a 35 year coach should be able to share would be beneficial for all on the board.

Tell us why you think Freemans hand activity is below par, because it is. What is wrong with his technique?

Tell us what you think Kyle Henderson's biggest challenge is to become more consistent based on his film? Where is his greatest area of inprovement that he could work on?

Outside of the obvious Simmons needs to work on his hip flexibility which was in the paper what have you noticed about his inside rip move that doesn't seem to work when he sets up Ot on the outside with his speed rush?

What have you noticed as a primary issue in mitchells game at lb with respect to pass cvg?

I would love to know your observations here since this should be very basic for you to detail by simply watching a few minutes of youtube videos on past games. And you can do so without putting a player down...and since players are the issue this would be a great read for us to learn. I know far less about dl technique than other spots. So for me it would be good to learn
I don't evaluate, drill or determine playing time for these student athletes. I have watched them drill. Have you? I have talked to Coach Pelton about what he teaches and sat in his clinic talk and watched video of the drill technique he teaches. Have you? In fact I've done that hundreds of times with coaches at every position at about every SEC and ACC school and others. Have you?

Yeah, our kids all have things to work on and if you could give me some credentials as to why you know better than Coach Pelton I'd be glad to arrange a meeting so you can tell him what you think he's doing wrong.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Come on man. I haven't implied any of our guys were anointed after leaving and it's disingenuous for you to imply that. You're a smart guy and Im pretty sure I stated my point clear enough for you to follow it without the BS.

What year can you cite, where we have had more than one player along the DL capable of consistently making disrupting plays against our opponents?

I already did. 2012 and 2013 from which all of our front 4 (incl JA in 12) made NFL money and all but Gotsis were upperclassmen. Hence, why I said "anointed after graduation" when you replied stte of not yet playing their best.

My point is that you can't just assume that lesser performance means lesser talent.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

I agree with you that we should probably be top 50 D in 17.

I'm no coach but I'll put my 2 cents in on your questions.

-Freeman : I think his hand fighting can certainly improve but I dont think that's his main problem rushing the QB, it certainly factors though and imo comes down in large measure to having a violent mentality. I think his strength is against the run and holding the edge. I think the primary deficiency in pass rush is his first step and lack of leverage once he's engaged.

Cerge- thus far I think his wheels are not his strength, just not very nimble. He also struggled with pad level imo and let's OL get leverage underneath him to push him back. Things that can improve with changing his body a bit and improving technique.

Simmons- lack of size and power. He's fast and quick though. (What play calls can best benefit him with his particular strengths and weaknesses? Put him next to a wide body or Branch? I think Branch myself. Let their agility disrupt a side and utilize some stunts with them. Again I'm admittedly not a coach or FB expert by any means. Just another dumb fan)

BM- wheels and hip turn. I think he needs a lot of agility drills and reps for recognition to improve his drops for pass coverage. His strength imo is stuffing the run. I think he can also be effective blitzing if the DL can get some push and create some creases.

I'm not hating on any of these guys. I'm responding to answer questions critiquing their games and thus not speaking much on the strengths they bring to the table, which they do bring. I think all can and probably will improve their games more as they progress in the program.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't evaluate, drill or determine playing time for these student athletes. I have watched them drill. Have you? I have talked to Coach Pelton about what he teaches and sat in his clinic talk and watched video of the drill technique he teaches. Have you? In fact I've done that hundreds of times with coaches at every position at about every SEC and ACC school and others. Have you?

Yeah, our kids all have things to work on and if you could give me some credentials as to why you know better than Coach Pelton I'd be glad to arrange a meeting so you can tell him what you think he's doing wrong.

Yes
No
No

But your response is odd. I was asking if based on what YOU see not what pelton teaches if you can share your opinion where our big key players need to continue to improve. Or maybe you dont want to. It was asking you your opinion.

So. Since you have done this 100s of times is why i am asking you to share your opinions

For instance whisky clear took a stab at it. Offerin your resume is fine but it doesnt help us on the board understand your opinions on how our kids are improving and what to look for in improvement and what you think that is.

I tried my best to offer some backend tweaks that i think could work. I could be wrong. That is why you practice and clearly i dont have that chance.

But we are not good enough yet on d. Something has to give. Different players

Last edited: