Official Ted Roof Discussion Thread

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I agree but if we don't want to change that and we don't want to bring our salaries in line with the factories then we shouldn't hold our coaches responsible for producing like one!

I agree!!!
The point that you're still missing is that NOBODY IS DOING THAT!

Is BC a factory? Their Def FEI (scoring) was #22 and Def S&P+ (plays) was #21 in 2016. Is Wake Forest a factory? They were#31 and #22. What about Duke? They were #69 and #48. We were #94 and #57.

Now, this is just one year, but the point is that teams with comparable talent expectations are doing better than us and having top 30 years, and we're having years of bottom 30.

Again, NOBODY is expecting us to be Bama or Clemson on D. NOBODY. So, stop throwing out that strawman. We just think that we have better than average talent and should be able to have better than average results.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Anyone (former coach or player) know the difference in technique , first step and arm/hand movement, between a gap D and a read and react D? From what little I can see on some practice video clips it seems that we are teaching the DL to square up to the OL player, stop his charge and attempt to control him with upper thrust arm/hand, and be ready to slide left or right to the ball carrier. There seems to be no initial penetration charge involved which could explain very few behind the LOS stops and slow/no pass rush. Any insight on the technique we are teaching and its ultimate purpose? The technique I think I am observing seems to me to be more aligned with a read and react D. ?
Hope I am wrong.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I agree!!!

Is BC a factory? Their Def FEI (scoring) was #22 and Def S&P+ (plays) was #21 in 2016. Is Wake Forest a factory? They were#31 and #22. What about Duke? They were #69 and #48. We were #94 and #57.

Now, this is just one year, but the point is that teams with comparable talent expectations are doing better than us and having top 30 years, and we're having years of bottom 30.

Again, NOBODY is expecting us to be Bama or Clemson on D. NOBODY. So, stop throwing out that strawman. We just think that we have better than average talent and should be able to have better than average results.
Logic.... logic..... logic (n)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Anyone (former coach or player) know the difference in technique , first step and arm/hand movement, between a gap D and a read and react D? From what little I can see on some practice video clips it seems that we are teaching the DL to square up to the OL player, stop his charge and attempt to control him with upper thrust arm/hand, and be ready to slide left or right to the ball carrier. There seems to be no initial penetration charge involved which could explain very few behind the LOS stops and slow/no pass rush. Any insight on the technique we are teaching and its ultimate purpose? The technique I think I am observing seems to me to be more aligned with a read and react D. ?
Hope I am wrong.
Supposedly we play a 1 gap system, but you give a good example of what we do. Stand up the OL and shed off the block to the left or right which to me is a 2 gap system, idc where the guys line up. Personally, I like things to be mixed up between standing the guys up and shedding off the block and shooting gaps. Issue with shooting gaps the whole time is you can get washed out of plays easier.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Hope I am wrong.
U r right. There is a video of peloton teaching "chuck, neutralize, peak, go". Ok for run but weak sause for pass.
Its wierd to expect 235# de (42) to escape from giant tackle after u tell him to run into him.

Last part of 16 when we got a little more aggresive in secondary and on edge .
THIS GIVES HOPE WIITH ADAMS being a force in middle WE MAY GET COACHY IN THE DL.

Last edited:

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree 100% but I also believe there are things to help offset that by confusing opposing offenses. We do it on offense with our system. Go watch VT and tell me what you see, yes they beat guys one on one but a lot of that can be credited to the offense not having a clue what you are doing, where you are coming from, what blitz and stunts are being used ect. How often do you see one of our D linemen going free without being touched? Not very often, but it happens with other teams, so why is that? Confusion is the big reason imo. Your still missing the point, so I'll say it again. There are ways to offset not winning one on ones, we do not do that. You can play to a players strength (something you have ignored me saying) and I do not believe we do. now if you think our scheme maximizes our talent level then ok, there's nothing for us to argue about. I just believe there are a lot more things we could do so our guys could excel. please do not ignore this last question because I have asked many time through this thread (not directly at you) do you believe our talent level on D efficiency is 94th nationally?
I'm not sure what you mean. Scheme rarely confuses the other coach. It's stopping the scheme that's the difficult part. There's only so many ways to try to create a pass rush. The limitations of the coverage people dictate how much of that you can do. Usually if you're having to fool a bunch of people to be successful you're in trouble. VT doesn't fool Paul Johnson. Now whether we can block them or not is a different story.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Hope I am wrong.
It's definitely read and react.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree!!!

No, I'm not missing the point. We aren't as good personnel wise as those guys.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure what you mean. Scheme rarely confuses the other coach. It's stopping the scheme that's the difficult part. There's only so many ways to try to create a pass rush. The limitations of the coverage people dictate how much of that you can do. Usually if you're having to fool a bunch of people to be successful you're in trouble. VT doesn't fool Paul Johnson. Now whether we can block them or not is a different story.
I'll stop arguing over this scheme thing because we have two different opinions. But can you answer the question you ignored? Do you think our talent level in D efficiency should be 94th? Do you really think our guys are that bad?

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck

I'm glad we finally cleared that up. I don't agree with you, but if you truly and honestly think we are less talented than Wake Forest then that is your opinion and it helps me understand where you are coming from. I disagree with that assessment and I think most people would as well, but there you go.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll stop arguing over this scheme thing because we have two different opinions. But can you answer the question you ignored? Do you think our talent level in D efficiency should be 94th? Do you really think our guys are that bad?
Well I don't put a lot of stock in those kind of statistics but I believe we are what we are. The stat that matters to me is wins and loses. I think we've done better recruiting for last three years but we won't know until we get going. We always seem to have a hard time putting together athletes at every position on offense and defense really. We've really had a hard time with the defense since we had that bad off season where we lost a bunch a few years ago. We'll see if we're better soon. I'm not ignoring anything you're asking on purpose.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm glad we finally cleared that up. I don't agree with you, but if you truly and honestly think we are less talented than Wake Forest then that is your opinion and it helps me understand where you are coming from. I disagree with that assessment and I think most people would as well, but there you go.
If you want to look at stats then it is what it is. I prefer to look at head to head and wins and loses.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Well I don't put a lot of stock in those kind of statistics but I believe we are what we are. The stat that matters to me is wins and loses. I think we've done better recruiting for last three years but we won't know until we get going. We always seem to have a hard time putting together athletes at every position on offense and defense really. We've really had a hard time with the defense since we had that bad off season where we lost a bunch a few years ago. We'll see if we're better soon. I'm not ignoring anything you're asking on purpose.
That's a cop out answer, D efficiency is a great stat, it shows how efficient your D is lol. So if a team scores 5 out of 10 times you don't put much stock into that in being a good D or not? We aren't talking about W's and L's we are talking about how good or bad the D is. You're bringing irrelevant things into this argument. Seems like you don't want to answer it because if you say we aren't that bad then it has to be something more than personnel. And if you say yes we are that bad I think deep down you would really know we aren't. JMO I can't say this is true so please don't take it as if I'm saying it is, that's just how it seems. I think it's a pretty simple yes or no question. Every time someone has asked a question that might be hard you come up with some excuse to not answer.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Well, again we have a experienced DEF team esp in DBs.This should be the yr that Roof can try to confuse the OTHER team with schemes instead of confusing ours.Let's see it happen.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If you want to look at stats then it is what it is. I prefer to look at head to head and wins and loses.
How can you say it's personnel on d that's our issue, if you only look at W's and L's. You are contradicting yourself. If this is the case you would t know what the issue on D is.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
How can you say it's personnel on d that's our issue, if you only look at W's and L's. You are contradicting yourself. If this is the case you would t know what the issue on D is.
Your a piece of work dude. Stats are what they are. I don't pay alot of attention to them. They never tell the whole story. We haven't been good on defense. It's not mainly due to coaching.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Your a piece of work dude. Stats are what they are. I don't pay alot of attention to them. They never tell the whole story. We haven't been good on defense. It's not mainly due to coaching.
I'm not saying it's all because of coaching. Have you seen me say that one time? You are the one saying it's personnel and defending the coach as if it's nothing to do with him.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

OK, fine. You suggested that people are expecting "Factory" results, and I tried to show that was not the case. Now, ignore that "Factory" nonsense that you started and go back to just blaming personnel.

By the way, why did Coach Roof simplify his scheme after UNC if he had already been doing the best possible with his personnel?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
OK, fine. You suggested that people are expecting "Factory" results, and I tried to show that was not the case. Now, ignore that "Factory" nonsense that you started and go back to just blaming personnel.

By the way, why did Coach Roof simplify his scheme after UNC if he had already been doing the best possible with his personnel?

Maybe CPJ realize it's not just a personnel issue