Official Postgame: GT 23-Duke 20

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Key is building a new culture at Tech right now. It's an old offensive lineman's culture of getting dirty and working your butt off for the team. Those guys don't get much individual praise nor do they have fans wearing their jersey numbers. But, they are the key (no pun intended) to winning or losing. There's no "pretty" to Key's approach. It's all about getting the details right and doing the work it takes to win.
Kind of like in the "olden days" at GT when there wasn't a pretty to "getting out"; it tooks effort and pain.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Punter is out kicking his coverage

Not sure a down to the wire win against Duke is the game to go with that line on.
This is the second step of our journey.
there was very loud f geoff collins chants from the student section all night. the collins haters are not going away
and rightly so. The guy was just clueless chaos that lead to massive destruction of Tech football. People still hate Bill Lewis. CGC will be hated for life as well

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
was told we needed a “schematic edge” and an x’s and o’s guy to win here.

or just have a coach that emphasizes fundamentals and intensity and good things will follow.

Don't get ahead of yourself. We beat a Pitt team where we were an offensive mess and Duke in OT. Key is working wonders, but we still likely need a schematic advantage. It's possible Longs scheme, given time to implement, might be the answer. We will know more about just how improved this team is come November when (almost) all the easy games are behind us.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
it’s not that serious lol

just option or bust fans
Except you're wrong. I happen to be one of those fans that think we need a schematic advantage to be successful (championships) but I don't care if it's triple option, air raid, or something else. My point is that we can't consistently beat teams with significantly better talent than us by running the same stuff they are running.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Key is building a new culture at Tech right now. It's an old offensive lineman's culture of getting dirty and working your butt off for the team. Those guys don't get much individual praise nor do they have fans wearing their jersey numbers. But, they are the key (no pun intended) to winning or losing. There's no "pretty" to Key's approach. It's all about getting the details right and doing the work it takes to win.
Idk, if Key wins out I'm thinking a #70 jersey may be in order for next season.

JacketFan137

Banned
Don't get ahead of yourself. We beat a Pitt team where we were an offensive mess and Duke in OT. Key is working wonders, but we still likely need a schematic advantage. It's possible Longs scheme, given time to implement, might be the answer. We will know more about just how improved this team is come November when (almost) all the easy games are behind us.
those are two of the top teams in the acc and were arguably the two best teams in the division and we played bad and still won. can always improve and i think we will but i think this just goes to show if you play the game with intensity and don’t make unforced errors you will be alright regardless of the scheme and you don’t need a gimmick to get results

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Except you're wrong. I happen to be one of those fans that think we need a schematic advantage to be successful (championships) but I don't care if it's triple option, air raid, or something else. My point is that we can't consistently beat teams with significantly better talent than us by running the same stuff they are running.
Idk, i think Good coaches can probably outscheme the other team using the exact same basic offense as them

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It certainly has paid dividends in the short term. I hope it continues long term and I hope we don’t develop another contingent of fans who resent it because the wins don’t look the way they want them to!
If we do get there at least we won’t have to fight that battle for several seasons.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It certainly has paid dividends in the short term. I hope it continues long term and I hope we don’t develop another contingent of fans who resent it because the wins don’t look the way they want them to!
If we do get there at least we won’t have to fight that battle for several seasons.
I agree with you. Right now I don't care if we revert to the single wing if we can win with it.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
The clock management killed me. They left at least 2 min on the clock for Duke w the quick snaps.
If I get time I'm going to go back to see how much time they left. I know that in one possession alone it was something like 70 seconds (after an injury we snapped the ball right after the play clock started...)

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
was told we needed a “schematic edge” and an x’s and o’s guy to win here.

or just have a coach that emphasizes fundamentals and intensity and good things will follow.
These x vs y arguments are so stupid. It’s never one or the other. You need fundamentals and accountability, you need a schematic advantage, and you need to maximize recruiting potential. When one of the three falls short you are mediocre. When 2-3 fall short your are bad. We still have issues that are going to limit our ceiling, but at least we appear to have corrected the discipline and accountability issues for the meantime.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
those are two of the top teams in the acc and were arguably the two best teams in the division and we played bad and still won. can always improve and i think we will but i think this just goes to show if you play the game with intensity and don’t make unforced errors you will be alright regardless of the scheme and you don’t need a gimmick to get results
Eh... Pitt was in that discussion but Duke may be a bit of a paper tiger. They are certainly trending up and it was certainly a tall order for where we are, but I don’t see that proving out for the Devils.
Our biggest detriment is catching Clemson and FSU across division. Those two along with Wake and State probably occupy 4 of the five top conference spots

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I didn't have a big issue with the decision to punt. Key wanted the lead at halftime. Miss on 4th and 1 would have left Duke very good field position. But if that was the mindset, should have run or thrown a short pass on 3rd down to pick up the first down (vs. throwing deep). Of course, the punt was lousy as well.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
This is absolutely, 100%, freaking true.

How anyone can deny it is beyond me.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
These x vs y arguments are so stupid. It’s never one or the other. You need fundamentals and accountability, you need a schematic advantage, and you need to maximize recruiting potential. When one of the three falls short you are mediocre. When 2-3 fall short your are bad. We still have issues that are going to limit our ceiling, but at least we appear to have corrected the discipline and accountability issues for the meantime.
I think the lesson to be learned from the Geoff Collins disaster is that you need a guy at the top to emphasize the "fundamentals and accountability".
The OC or DC can supply the schematic advantage.
Get those right and recruiting will follow.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I didn't have a big issue with the decision to punt. Key wanted the lead at halftime. Miss on 4th and 1 would have left Duke very good field position. But if that was the mindset, should have run or thrown a short pass on 3rd down to pick up the first down (vs. throwing deep). Of course, the punt was lousy as well.
The way the D was playing? Putting them inside the 5 could’ve been points, even though the call on the surface felt conservative.... especially after we booted it through the endzone

JacketFan137

Banned
This is absolutely, 100%, freaking true.

How anyone can deny it is beyond me.
because it’s not true and comments like that are really disingenuous. scheme is not the silver bullet that people pretend it is. we lost plenty of games running the option and have lost plenty of games running modern offenses.

if scheme gave us such an advantage what do you have to say about us averaging 7 wins a season under paul and plenty of losses to inferior teams like duke who had our number bad at the end.

having a “scheme” aka running the option is nice but it’s not necessary to see success.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
We've got our offensive schematic advantage & it's called using Sims threat to run. He's a capable thrower that can hit open recievers when they get separation & then there's instances like the Blackburn TD where he saw the play and perfectly placed the ball, what opens up his game though is the running threat. It creates those favorable match ups & really opens the offense up. Last 2 games the kid has been playing hard, trying to get those yards and not shying away from contact. It could be Sims needed Collins out of his ear, someone to drive him with some tough love and become the type of football player we recruited. Whatever it is, I'm beginning to think he can end his career here on a positive note. We can get to 7 wins this year with him, you couldn't say that 2 weeks ago.