Official Postgame: GT 23-Duke 20

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Great win at the end. Defense is playing tough. Refs really screwed us on the roughing the passer call and then let Sims got hacked with a no call roughing the passer on Duke. The refs really need to be censured. Offense needs to improve. Play calling in 4th quarter was poor as well as play clock management. Need Dontae on field more if at very least for fresh legs. Also should have went on 4th and 1 before half. Forgot about the no call PI on the play before. Considering we were playing Duke and the refs, good win.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Players over running the returner and bad angles. Clean it up. Kicks without hang time lead to returns. Easily could have cost us that game. Conservative play calling was too predictable and couldn't make first downs when needed. Good win but should not have been that close.
Agree. And once again it's been less than 14 days of work trying to fix 3 years of bad. If your expectation is to get it all fixed that fast then I'd say that's a tad unrealistic. Of course it could have cost us the game. Luckily it didn't and I suspect now we've got more things on tape to be able to address. Better to have mistakes on tape that we can go through after a win, right ;)

I am 100% with you on the conservative play calling. We probably could have executed a few of those plays a bit better, too.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
We probably deserve to lose after that fold but that was a BS roughing call that allowed Duke to go down and score. Just glad to see us pull out a win for once.

I'm really hoping Sims is ok. Really like seeing him utilize his legs in this offense. Really opens up some passing lanes.
Why do you think we "deserve to lose?" We outplayed Duke for most of the game but because they played better for 5min they suddenly "deserve to win?" I honestly don't mean to be giving you grief but our guys are just starting to learn that they can win even when things go wrong. You know as well as I do that if Collins was still on the sidelines we absolutely would have folded and lost that game. Cut the coaches and kids some slack. They are working hard to overcome 3 years of whatever funk they were in with that guy. It's going to take time and at least so far we've gotten a couple of wins.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Collins has got to be sitting at home (or the beach) thinking to himself, how did I screw this up so bad.

We actually have pretty good talent and it is finally showing on both sides of the ball. Long called a pretty good game and D is playing well. Great win!
I had the same thought about Collins initially. Then I started thinking that he's more likely thinking about how he turned the program around and shares in the credit for these victories.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Punter is out kicking his coverage.

Cover guys are not running their lanes. This is not new as it has been going on for a while. The contain guy on the left got caught up way way inside on the first punt return and then we did some lazy tackling on the sideline about half way to the end zone. We previously had this lane running problem with KO coverage. We repeated said mistake on the next punt to the right. This can be fixed with coaching/discpline but you have to practice proper lane running in punt coverage. One thing Collins did well was using NFL caliber players (Cottrell and Oliver) as gunners and Harvin with his long high kicks seldomly out kicked their coverage. I personally would prefer to kick and roll a punt away from the other teams best returner (sacrifice a little yardage to minimize the other team's playmaker from spoiling our day) but maybe the coaching will catch up and we can punt and cover like everybody else..

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
ESPN now has us favored over UVA.
they're in a straight nosedive as a program from where they were last year. idk what happened to their QB Armstrong but he went from 31 TD 10 Int last year and looking pretty solid to 5 TD 7 Int so far this year. I mean they werent particularly good last year (6-6) but they've been awful so far this year.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Radio announcers were saying that Tech had a lot of heavy guys on the field and not speedsters. Maybe this was an over-reaction to the blocked punts.
That may be true as Chimedza was out there blocking ahead of the punter. On the second punt he may have prevented another TD return as he got to the outside and turned the runner back into traffic where he was tackled, a heads up play on his part as I doubt he was the designated contain man. I believe we did beef up the punt blocking so now we need to find the quicker cover players who can also block ..work in progress.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Was a ton of fun being at the game. Wish more fans would show up. Comments.

1. Fans came alive in the 4th quarter and OT. It was good to see.
2. Defense is playing very well, and eventually the offense will help reward the D.
3. On punts I think we over indexed on preventing blocks. We no longer have gunners in the formation and Shannahan is kicking deep line drives that the lack of gunners makes very hard to defend
.4. The refs sucked, especially on the last Duke drive of regulation. Overall a lot of missed calls/no-calls and of course the terrible set of 3 calls
5. Too conservative in the 4th by the OC. Also I get feeding the hot hand, but spell the poor man and use that full stable.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Too many times in the 4th we didn't allow the clocked at you a few more seconds by simply waiting to snap the ball with less than 10 seconds left on the play clock. Eight plays running additional 7 seconds would have been 56 seconds which would not have left enough time for Duke to score their final touchdown...

Very fixable problem but its two games in a row. Key has to watch out. The fan base has gotten up to speed on what is poor coaching.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Very fixable problem but its two games in a row. Key has to watch out. The fan base has gotten up to speed on what is poor coaching.
This is basic QB 101 for end of game time management. That being said 1 more 1st down & the game was over; 1 stop inbounds short of the chains & the game would have been over. Not breaking down on the punt; game over; ref not throwing BS flag, game over.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Now, if I were Key, my main concerns after game 2:
  • Punt coverage
  • Play-calling in red zone (we got to come away with TD's more often)
  • O-line health (were down 3 starters by end of game)
  • Time management when leading late in game.
And, I guess there is a good reason, but I still don't understand why Tae is not getting more reps - Nothing against Hall; just think Tae is better.

Lastly, CBK should be putting together a report on tonight's officiating. The two most egregious errors being a missed PI when the Duke player was pulling on the jersey of our receiver, and the ridiculous RTP penalty on the last drive. There were other questionable calls (and no calls), but those seemed the worst.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Lastly, CBK should be putting together a report on tonight's officiating. The two most egregious errors being a missed PI when the Duke player was pulling on the jersey of our receiver, and the ridiculous RTP penalty on the last drive. There were other questionable calls (and no calls), but those seemed the worst.
Somewhere in the midst of the celebration-impaired sleep I was wondering if anyone does a Per-Referee scoring like they have for players? I guess no one would pay for it, but it would sure be nice to call out the terrible referees and at least get third-party verification/vindication of BS calls like that RTP call. Frankly I think it would help get the crappy refs out of the game if there was a public accounting. And we could also look for biases like certain refs tending towards more poor calls in favor of, lets say just for an example, North Carolina schools.

Great win that really should have been a 20 - 6 beat-down. Now that we are learning to win hopefully we can learn to put our foot on their throats to hold them down once they've been knocked down.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't forget punting on 4th and 1 from Duke's 37 at the end of the 1st half.
I didn't have a big issue with the decision to punt. Key wanted the lead at halftime. Miss on 4th and 1 would have left Duke very good field position. But if that was the mindset, should have run or thrown a short pass on 3rd down to pick up the first down (vs. throwing deep). Of course, the punt was lousy as well.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I had the same thought about Collins initially. Then I started thinking that he's more likely thinking about how he turned the program around and shares in the credit for these victories.
He probably thinks would have been the same outcome if he was still coach. NOT!!