Official Offseason Uni Thread

GTFLETCH

Banned
Seven months before its apparel deal with Under Armour formally ends, USF announced it has reached an eight-year partnership with Adidas that begins next summer.

What is sad is GT Adidas deal is worse then USF... USF deal is way better than GT....With Adidas, USF can earn up to $600,000 a year in bonus merchandise (for exceeding annual purchase volumes) and up to $500,000 a year in cash bonuses for the performance of its teams and coaches.

Example: The Bulls receive an extra $5,000 if women's basketball coach Jose Fernandez is named American Athletic Conference Coach of the Year, an additional $50,000 if the football team finishes in the top 25, and an extra $500,000 if the football team wins a national title. The contract also states if USF becomes a member of a Power Five conference during the life of the deal, Adidas agrees to renegotiate it "to account for any proportional increase in value and/or exposure due to such membership."

Georgia Tech does have some incentives....However 600K for athletic sales, heck GT could have negotiated 400K in their deal and had everyone on the campu and online buy Adidas swag from the excitement from leaving RA and made that money... Here is the Stuff in GT contract....

The best part is we are only locked in for 6 years.. The contract will include a “look-in” after the third year for both sides to re-evaluate the market and Tech’s athletic performance. The cash “retainer fee” will increase annually by $1 million if the Jackets win a football national championship, $500,000 if they win the ACC and $250,000 if they appear in the ACC title game two years in a row. The retainer fee will be adjusted by $450,000 if the team wins nine games in a row in back-to-back seasons. The contract will be increased for performance by the men’s basketball team, as well – $500,000 for a national championship, $250,000 for an ACC championship and $125,000 for reaching the ACC championship game two years in a row. The memorandum also stipulates bonuses for championships and other accomplishments in football, men’s and women’s basketball and baseball.

GT got treated like a G5 team because they lost leverage....So glad we have a new AD and MBob is gone!

Link
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/2017/12/06/usf-strikes-apparel-deal-with-adidas/

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I just hope we have access online to buy stuff. The bookstore site is a joke. Don’t see that changing. Hopefully GT won’t put a restriction on Adidas selling GT merchandise on their own website. You can get every Adidas schools apparel on it. There’s a ton of Miss St ASU Indiana gear on it. The Miami’s Louisville’s and Kansas types are a given.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I just hope we have access online to buy stuff. The bookstore site is a joke. Don’t see that changing. Hopefully GT won’t put a restriction on Adidas selling GT merchandise on their own website. You can get every Adidas schools apparel on it. There’s a ton of Miss St ASU Indiana gear on it. The Miami’s Louisville’s and Kansas types are a given.
let's see what happens over the next couple of months. That may not be a true statement for long.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I think the 9 games in back to back seasons should be possible.

Knock out an ACC championship this year and the value goes up by 3 million. Win 9 games next season and you’re up another 1.8 M.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Show 'em the money
Top collegiate apparel deals by total value

1. UCLA (Under Armour) 15 years, $280 million, $18.67 million/year

2. Ohio State (Nike) 15 years, $252 million, $16.8 million/year

3. Texas (Nike) 15 years, $250 million, $16.67 million/year

4. Louisville (Adidas) 10 years, $160 million, $16 million/year

5. Nebraska (Adidas) 11 years, $128 million, $11.6 million/year

6. Michigan (Jumpman/Nike) 11 years, $127.12 million, $11.56 million/year

7. Washington (Adidas) 10 years, $119 million, $11.9 million/year

8. Wisconsin (Under Armour) 10 years, $96 million, $9.6 million/year

9. Notre Dame (Under Armour) 10 years, $90 million, $9 million/year

10. Miami (Adidas) 12 years, $93.6 million, $7.8 million/year

11. Oregon (Nike) 11 years, $88 million, $8 million/year

Link
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

GTFLETCH

Banned
I think we should try and get a deal like NC State at the next look in 2021... Below is the current NC State & USF deals with Adidas... Georgia Tech's deal is more like USF than NC State and it isn't even close... How NC State is worth $20M more than Georgia Tech is beyond me....

NC State & Adidas: 6 years, $38.7 million , $6.4 Million/Year (w/minimum royalty guarantee of $1.7M/year)
USF & Adidas: 8 years, $23.6 million, $2.95 Million/Year (150,000 in cash and $2.8 million in equipment)

GT & Adidas: 6 years, $18.6M, $3.11M/Year (200,000 in cash and $2.9 million in equipment)

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Yeah. The money part is very discouraging. No way UWub or NCST should be considered a better brand than us. This was another failure of DRad/Bobinski. We should’ve opted out of Russell in 2013 when we could’ve

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yeah. The money part is very discouraging. No way UWub or NCST should be considered a better brand than us. This was another failure of DRad/Bobinski. We should’ve opted out of Russell in 2013 when we could’ve

Washington is the flagship university of their state. They get the lions share of sales in the state. They are also almost twice the population of GT enrollment-wise. While NCSU isn't UNC in NC, they are a much bigger school than we are, with almost 10,ooo more students. Their fanbase is pretty rabid up there as well. My dad lives in the area, and they average 56000+ in a stadium that seats 57500 .

Ultimately, finances win out. It is really a result of the numbers driven by CLC, who tracks the licensing sales. In 2014-15, following our excellent 11-3 season, we dropped from 50th in sales to 51st. We are in the bottom quartile of P5 schools in sales. There is absolutely no way Adidas, or any other company for that matter, was going to give us a cash heavy deal when sales history shows our fan base generally doesn't spend that much on merchandise. Now, before anyone says "but Russell...", CLC tracks the merchandise sales across ALL brands, not just the schools official provider.

Ultimately, our fan base needs to decide to spend money if we want to be a big name program in the modern age. We not only have to give money to the GTAA to fund infrastructure improvements and assistant coach salary increases, but we need to buy tickets to the games and we desperately need to start buying more merchandise, even if it's not the "right shade" or it's a tertiary color. The reason the sporting goods stores and retailers don't stock much of our merchandise is because we don't buy enough of it to make it worth their while. That's a problem WE need to fix, and fixing that problem will go a long way towards helping our program out financially.

https://www.gobankingrates.com/net-worth/college-football-team-sells-merchandise/

Washington is the flagship university of their state. They get the lions share of sales in the state. They are also almost twice the population of GT enrollment-wise. While NCSU isn't UNC in NC, they are a much bigger school than we are, with almost 10,ooo more students. Their fanbase is pretty rabid up there as well. My dad lives in the area, and they average 56000+ in a stadium that seats 57500 .

Ultimately, finances win out. It is really a result of the numbers driven by CLC, who tracks the licensing sales. In 2014-15, following our excellent 11-3 season, we dropped from 50th in sales to 51st. We are in the bottom quartile of P5 schools in sales. There is absolutely no way Adidas, or any other company for that matter, was going to give us a cash heavy deal when sales history shows our fan base generally doesn't spend that much on merchandise. Now, before anyone says "but Russell...", CLC tracks the merchandise sales across ALL brands, not just the schools official provider.

Ultimately, our fan base needs to decide to spend money if we want to be a big name program in the modern age. We not only have to give money to the GTAA to fund infrastructure improvements and assistant coach salary increases, but we need to buy tickets to the games and we desperately need to start buying more merchandise, even if it's not the "right shade" or it's a tertiary color. The reason the sporting goods stores and retailers don't stock much of our merchandise is because we don't buy enough of it to make it worth their while. That's a problem WE need to fix, and fixing that problem will go a long way towards helping our program out financially.

https://www.gobankingrates.com/net-worth/college-football-team-sells-merchandise/
Did you read through that link? I wasn't aware that we had played in the Capital One ORGAN Bowl. LOL

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Did you read through that link? I wasn't aware that we had played in the Capital One ORGAN Bowl. LOL

Well, I'm pretty sure this guy lost a kidney on the hit Jamal Golden delivered when MSU foolishly tried to run the option on us...

Attachments

• Golden Hit.jpg
    Golden Hit.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 55

GTFLETCH

Banned
Thanks for the link and the article... It is what it is!!! Until GT pits back to back 9 win seasons we will always probably rank 50th on sales...

I am not even sure that will bring sales up past 40th...

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I live in Seattle. The amount of UW gear around the city is incredibly more than the amount of GT gear in Seattle. I would definitely assume they have a more engaged and active sport fanbase from an apparel perspective. UW also averages 64k per home game while we are around 47k.

I wasn't aware of the pull UW had when I lived on the east coast, but at least in Seattle, they are HUGE.