Official Offseason Thread

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I feel sad for Willie Clay. He probably guided his son for years, then backed off just a little too early and let him choose UGA. Kids can make bad decisions anywhere, but Athens just seems a hot mess for so many talented athletes.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately there are 2 things I remember about Willie Clay. First, he was a really good player for GT and I mean really good. Second, I was at the UNC game when he fumbled a punt on our 7 yard line. GT was clearly the better team that day but had trouble scoring in the red zone all day. That fumble probably cost us an undefeated season and undisputed national championship in 1990.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
In Clay's defense, the defender was ins grill when the ball came down, IIRC... Happened right in front of me, and even though they made rules related to kick catch interference much tougher later, this looked to me like a clear case of interference...

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately there are 2 things I remember about Willie Clay. First, he was a really good player for GT and I mean really good. Second, I was at the UNC game when he fumbled a punt on our 7 yard line. GT was clearly the better team that day but had trouble scoring in the red zone all day. That fumble probably cost us an undefeated season and undisputed national championship in 1990.

yep, he was one of the best DBs here EVER--certainly for that 1990 yr and in the top 8 overall --I've been watching for 60 yrs

I opened a thread on this before I realized it was in this thread. It appears the moderators deleted my thread, which is fine.

Not trying to rub salt into the wound, but it would seem that it turned out to be a good thing that he didn't sign with Tech. I feel sorry for both him and his dad.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I opened a thread on this before I realized it was in this thread. It appears the moderators deleted my thread, which is fine.

Not trying to rub salt into the wound, but it would seem that it turned out to be a good thing that he didn't sign with Tech. I feel sorry for both him and his dad.
Sorry Super. I didn't delete it - just moved your post to the Fulmer Cup - UGA Style thread.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Last year I was told to not read into 7on7 reports.

Everybody happy with last year's pass D?

how about the D in general...for the past xyz years.

But still, even despite my total disdain for Ted Roofs scheme and style of D and what he teaches in concept with relationship between the DL, LB and pass rushing limitations; I am not going to read into 7 on 7 much....

however, if our pass rush is as bad as it continues to be, which I am predicting its not too much better, then 7 on 7 is very pertinent as 7 on 7 is no rush and leaving the DB's in coverage; with our scheme playing deep 1/3 leaving the under wide open. Sound familiar?