Official MBS Announcement: 5 Games over 5 Years

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Because a night game on ESPN is more exposure than a 3pm game on ESPNU. These games aren’t guaranteed night games at BDS because uGA isn’t even a guaranteed night game when it’s at BDS.

So do we think playing at Mercedes Benz against Notre Dame increases the likelihood of it being a night game as opposed to it being at Bobby dodd? I don’t.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Home games should always be at BDS. “Preseason” games at MBS?....ok. But farming out our best home games to MBS is....BS.

This incentivizes buying single game tickets to the games I want to watch at BDS rather than a season ticket package.

I’ve really been looking forward to ND at BDS and this really hacks me off.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So excited by this that I just bought 2 more season tickets!
Great job and cool handle
So then why not just play every game at MBS?
Back in 69 the u of h was in a dinky stadium and had a good team they moved to astro dome . Drew huge crowds - THE PRO TICKETS ARE WAY EXPENSIVE LIKE THEY ARE NOW. Just to get into mbs folks will come if we are not dumpster fire.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
That looks like two teams playing a home and home in their local NFL stadiums instead of on campus. That is a bit different than one team giving up a bunch of already scheduled home games for what I guess is a money grab?

What incentive for them do this? Why is this not a minor league for them. Everyone loves Camp Randall and TD Jesus

Clemson doesn’t have a local NFL team unless they want to play in Panthers stadium in Charlotte which doesn’t make sense.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Any of us who don’t like the arrangement at MBS don’t have to go.

I’m going and so is my wife GTRamblerlady. She is excited about it!

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
per ESPN.com TOP LINE on the NCAAF page
Georgia Tech to play 5 games at Mercedes-Benz
4:01 PM
ATLANTA -- Georgia Tech is moving five home games -- one each in five consecutive seasons, including dates against Notre Dame in 2020 and 2024 -- to Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

The moved games announced Tuesday also include the 2022 season opener against Clemson.

The dates and opponents for Georgia Tech's 2021 and 2023 home games at the $1.5 billion stadium have not been announced. The stadium opened in 2017 as home for the NFL's Atlanta Falcons and MLS' Atlanta United and was the Super Bowl site this month.

The changes do not affect Georgia Tech's 2019 schedule.

Georgia Tech athletic director Todd Stansbury says he originally explored options for the home game against Notre Dame on Nov. 14, 2020, before expanding the search to a five-year deal.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
What incentive for them do this? Why is this not a minor league for them. Everyone loves Camp Randall and TD Jesus

Clemson doesn’t have a local NFL team unless they want to play in Panthers stadium in Charlotte which doesn’t make sense.
If we didn't already have Notre Dame on the schedule and we agreed to two games, one at MBS and one at Soldier field, I would be ecstatic. Moving our two already scheduled home games to a new stadium isn't the same thing. This is basically screaming out that BDS isn't a good enough venue to play Notre Dame in. Do you think Notre Dame or Clemson would be willing to give up 5 already scheduled home games against quality teams to play in an NFL stadium close by?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Georgia Tech fans are likely to be outnumbered in all 5 of those games in Mercedes Benz Stadium and it will look like a home game for the other team:rolleyes:
Why do you think we weren't outnumbered vs. Tennessee? I'm really curious why folks think it'll be worse at MBS. From all I can tell, we will bring more to MBS. No one here is sitting these games out, from what I can tell.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
If we didn't already have Notre Dame on the schedule and we agreed to two games, one at MBS and one at Soldier field, I would be ecstatic. Moving our two already scheduled home games to a new stadium isn't the same thing. This is basically screaming out that BDS isn't a good enough venue to play Notre Dame in. Do you think Notre Dame or Clemson would be willing to give up 5 already scheduled home games against quality teams to play in an NFL stadium close by?
I mean those aren’t really equal comparisons since they are already national brands that are competing for championships. I think a school like TCU or Texas Tech, teams that have good years occasionally but are truly trying up their brand, would jump all over the opportunity. I think it’s possible that some other team will try and copy GT and do something similar possibly in the Cowboy’s stadium. Similar to how CFA starter the kickoff game, then other big stadiums copied their success.