Official MBS Announcement: 5 Games over 5 Years

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Getting in and out of area, parking, tailgating, loss of anything Tech-related inside stadium
Agree 1000% I live in Cherokee I can walk out after the game to my car and be home in 35 minutes. The game at MBS I took me 2.5 hours to get home. I'm sorry playing in MBS does nothing for me. Parking there tailgating there walking up to the stadium just does not say College football.

This does not say college football to me:
th

If it does to you great but not me.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I don't like the idea of doing this every season. Like i said in an earlier post i think GT should play all their home games in BDS,i happen to be old fashioned in that way.
I get that point of view and have mixed feelings. I'm just disputing the claims that it'll be an away game. Only argument I see there is there could be diminishing returns as the novelty wears off over time. But, we split the stadium with Tennessee, so the single point of data we have suggests it won't be an away game.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I get that point of view and have mixed feelings. I'm just disputing the claims that it'll be an away game. Only argument I see there is there could be diminishing returns as the novelty wears off over time. But, we split the stadium with Tennessee, so the single point of data we have suggests it won't be an away game.
I hope you're right

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree 1000% I live in Cherokee I can walk out after the game to my car and be home in 35 minutes. The game at MBS I took me 2.5 hours to get home. I'm sorry playing in MBS does nothing for me. Parking there tailgating there walking up to the stadium just does not say College football.

th

I'm guessing you stayed home for the 2014 Orange Bowl since the stadium didn't scream college football but I had a blast. This MBS thing is a 1 game a year special event.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

th

Yet, you'll be there, right? Would it enhance your experience at all to have more GT fans at a game?

I totally get the other tradeoffs you mentioned, but I don't think people appreciate that this is NOT a decision to appeal to those who will be at the games no matter what. Stinks for some who lose conveniences and nostalgia, but we're making a go of a new idea. Might fail, TBD.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
The Notre Dame games I can understand the move to MBS. But I don't understand why the Clemson game was "sold" to the Chick fil a game. Why do all the other teams invited to play in that game not have to give up a home game to participate? UGA is in three of them. Clemson is our home game, why can't we move it to MBS just like the ND game and not even involve the Peach Bowl people?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I hope you're right
I think this is something we all agree with. I hope it's a success despite our own personal preferences.

Ultimately, I'd rather try 10 things and fail at 2, than not succeed at the remaining 8 ideas at all. I'm sure TStan recognizes the risks/rewards. He seems like a thoughtful guy, even if the result isn't always the desired outcome.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Whew. Only one game a year - not a BDS apocalypse. I'll be interested to see what the revenue bump will be, but most of those additional fannies will probably be opposition fans.
Next!!! For the it's always going to be cheap to go to gt crowd

When we get relevant.
Add 10% for season tickets

Then
Drop the really crappy team and raise season ticket prices 20% by adding a surcharge for only purchasing a single year. Buy 3 years and get at 10% off.

Imo, we should drop the crappy team now and raise price 10% will requiring 2 year purchase.

Why do you think we weren't outnumbered vs. Tennessee? I'm really curious why folks think it'll be worse at MBS. From all I can tell, we will bring more to MBS. No one here is sitting these games out, from what I can tell.
I'm not particularly fond of this arrangement, but I agree with you that there is no reason for us to be outnumbered.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If BDS had about 25,000 more seats, I doubt the move would have been considered. Nice to move a few games there that have the potential to attract a lot more fans than BDS can hold.
I have had season tickets for 37 years and the worst mistake Tech made was increasing the seating to 55,000. You want more fans great you'll get more but for which team ?

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Said something similar in a previous post.......plays like that become part of the history and fabric of the stadium..and NFL stadium as a 25 year shelf life.....at best.
I agree that it’s better at BDS, but I think we all remember JT5 breaking both ankles of the Miss. St. player for a TD in the Orange Bowl. Beating ND in MBS will be a huge deal and every Tech fan will be sure to bring it up in future meeting with ND. We just need to show up and win some of these games for it to be a successful deal.

th

It took me an hour just to get out of the stadium for the Tenn game. I understand they have fixed that problem, but it is still something I will never forget.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
This is basically screaming out that BDS isn't a good enough venue to play Notre Dame in.
Don’t think it “screams it out” but it may actually be true. We are giving up money on these big games with the size of our stadium. If we can utilize MB for our financial gain AND DRINK BEER we should go for it.