Official MBS Announcement: 5 Games over 5 Years

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
As a fan of both teams, I've always thought it would be awesome for ATL UTD to have a home game at BDS each year. That's where the diehard fanbase got started, and some fans actually liked the atmosphere at BDS more than MBS.

Those United games at BDS were magical, I hope our GT fanbase can fill it up like that someday. From the press conference it sounds like United and GT will be working together, so I'm excited to see what they come up with.

I feel like there was an opportunity we could have taken advantage of because a lot of the season ticket holders didn't have a college football allegiance. That first year we could have offered a free game to Atlanta United season ticket holders. You could let them pick (first come first serve) which game to go to for free. Homecoming and UGA/Clemson (depending on year) would have been off limits, but having extra fans to fill up the stadium for Pitt or UNC or some other game that would have had empty seats anyway would have been fun.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Actual reasons other than it being our stadium?

There are a bunch of reasons we are moving one game per year to MBS both mentioned here and other places. Here, take a look at this link from GT - Link.

Now I just want to hear the multiple reasons why this is such a bad idea. Please, enlighten us on all of the reasons this is a terrible idea.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I can almost personally guarantee 5-10 more butts in seats for these games due to fickle friends/fans.

Who on this board is now NOT going to renew or go to the games because they're at MBS?

Seems like we'll have more fans at MBS than we would have at BDS.

(This is not to say there aren't advantages to being at BDS. But I think some are premature with their projection that we'll be a decided away team because of the venue)

There are a bunch of reasons we are moving one game per year to MBS both mentioned here and other places. Here, take a look at this link from GT - Link.

Now I just want to hear the multiple reasons why this is such a bad idea. Please, enlighten us on all of the reasons this is a terrible idea.
Getting in and out of area, parking, tailgating, loss of anything Tech-related inside stadium

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
As someone on the "wait and see" train concerning, CGC, I have to say I am impressed with this move. This is the kind of thinking we need. It says that ATLANTA is GT territory, not just a few blocks near the Varsity. This is a huge win for recruiting. Imagine telling that elite QB you not only get to play football in a premier conference, for a team with multiple titles, on national TV, but you'll also get a home game each year in an NFL stadium. THIS is the kind of thing that kids love, and may make the difference in a kid that was borderline on us before.

I can understand being bummed not hosting ND at BDS, but I think this is a smart branding move. There’s only one college team playing HOME games there and it ain’t the one who’s coach is a Nintendo character.

Recruiting pitch:
“You get to play at college football’s oldest on campus stadium and one of the NFL’s nicest stadiums which has already held a SB and a National Championship”

This is a good branding move and a potentially great financial move. I agree I’d like to see ND at BDS, but the pros outway the cons.

I also love the rumor of wearing blue for these games. Could become a pretty cool annual thing.
:mad::mad::mad:

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Getting in and out of area, parking, tailgating, loss of anything Tech-related inside stadium

IMO the parking situation is actually better downtown then midtown, but I guess that depends on how good your current setup is at GT.

One of the perks of MBS is whoever is hosting the event will feel like the home team, this was one of the selling points when the stadium first opened. There are no Falcons or United banners hanging around, everything is electronic so the venue changes based on who/what is hosting.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
That's why we're playing them so frequently now. Each ACC team is supposed to play them once every 3 years. But it's an "on average" thing.
Not to get off subject, but it is kind of ridiculous that ACC members have to play a non-ACC member more times than they get to play ACC members of the opposite division.

We get a guaranteed high profile game in MBS and we whine? We are an odd bunch.

Hey hot off the press: you can’t be a top team without playing hard games on prime time.

I’m sick of Gardner Webb, etc and would rather play these high interest games and lose than win a 70-7 shootout against some team I need to google to even figure out where they’re from. We don’t play in the SEC and should not have an SEC schedule.
ND was already on the schedule