Official MBS Announcement: 5 Games over 5 Years

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Two games in Atlanta against Notre Dame in 4 years. I wonder if this means that they gave up one of their home games in order to have two "neutral" games in Atlanta. That could arguably be a good move for them in recruiting, if not financially too.
They did not.

Notre Dame has always been scheduled to play at GT in 2020 and 2024 and host GT in 2021. In 2021 we still go to South Bend (the weekend before COFH).

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
At first, I cringed at the idea of playing marquee games away from BDS. It is an incredible, historic venue and can be quite the home field advantage when the conditions are right.

However, this is the stuff that it will take to build the brand the way CGC has been pitching. I guarantee high school kids will think this is awesome, along with current players. And at teh end of the day, are we trying to satisfy ourselves, or do what it takes to be competitive nationally?

Just think about it. How many teams would give up 2 guarenteed home games vs NOTRE DAME!!? We did

Several people have already answered this. We did not give up home games. These games ARE home games..

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
All big games at BDS are neutral games anyway, we get taken over by opposing fans for the big games. I was pleasantly surprised by our turnout vs Tennessee at MBS.

This is awesome work by TStan and Geoff.
I agree. Tech/Atlanta fans are fair weather af.

By adding some caché we will get more butts in seats guaranteed. When we played LSU in the peach bowl I had never seen so many Tech fans. I saw people at that game from high school that weren’t even tech fans as far as I knew.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I can understand being bummed not hosting ND at BDS, but I think this is a smart branding move. There’s only one college team playing HOME games there and it ain’t the one who’s coach is a Nintendo character.

Recruiting pitch:
“You get to play at college football’s oldest on campus stadium and one of the NFL’s nicest stadiums which has already held a SB and a National Championship”

This is a good branding move and a potentially great financial move. I agree I’d like to see ND at BDS, but the pros outway the cons.

I also love the rumor of wearing blue for these games. Could become a pretty cool annual thing.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
I can understand being bummed not hosting ND at BDS, but I think this is a smart branding move. There’s only one college team playing HOME games there and it ain’t the one who’s coach is a Nintendo character.

Recruiting pitch:
“You get to play at college football’s oldest on campus stadium and one of the NFL’s nicest stadiums which has already held a SB and a National Championship”

This is a good branding move and a potentially great financial move. I agree I’d like to see ND at BDS, but the pros outway the cons.

I also love the rumor of wearing blue for these games. Could become a pretty cool annual thing.

Not to rain on your parade, but I was joking about the blue jerseys because that poster loves bringing up his love for all things Gold.

BUT I won't be surprised if we do come out with some cool jerseys for this annual game.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Anyone think that ATL United could return the favor in the future? Those games were great at BDS. Would be a hell of a marketing strategy to get all of those United fans on campus every year that have never been on campus.

As a fan of both teams, I've always thought it would be awesome for ATL UTD to have a home game at BDS each year. That's where the diehard fanbase got started, and some fans actually liked the atmosphere at BDS more than MBS.

Those United games at BDS were magical, I hope our GT fanbase can fill it up like that someday. From the press conference it sounds like United and GT will be working together, so I'm excited to see what they come up with.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We get a guaranteed high profile game in MBS and we whine? We are an odd bunch.

Hey hot off the press: you can’t be a top team without playing hard games on prime time.

I’m sick of Gardner Webb, etc and would rather play these high interest games and lose than win a 70-7 shootout against some team I need to google to even figure out where they’re from. We don’t play in the SEC and should not have an SEC schedule.