Official MBS Announcement: 5 Games over 5 Years

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Mike Bell said yesterday GT fans are the biggest cry babies, this thread man....

Gain in REVENUE
Gain in Exposure
Gain in Branding

What is the problem? This is a big win. 5 guaranteed National games on the big stage, without competing or even earning it on the field. Most teams would kill for this level of exposure.

Ok maybe having season tickets for 37 years paid off and what I send them each year. They call and try to get me to move to a better location but I like the people we are around.
I have been buying season tickets since 1967 and give every year since then also, either to the AT fund or the ticket fee, plus I have given to the Roll Call every year. I have 45 yard line seats, although they were on the 50 until the playing area got shifted with the building on the new north stands. For the Tenn game, I was on the 3rd from the top row in the lower "bowl" on the 5 yard line. I don't consider that to be an equivalent location.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
IIUC: There's only about 1,200 PSL holders at a price level (Club) that guarantees tickets to other events at MBS. And those are not guaranteed to be in the same seat or a given price. Others are offered tickets to events, but it's similar to like an Amex holder or fan club presale.

Don't know if it's true but I heard PSL holders were offered the "opportunity" to buy Superbowl tickets at an inflated/discouraging price level. I've also seen PSL holders say that while they have the opportunity to buy concert tickets, etc. They have earlier/better access through their credit cards. I also know I tried to get UT/CFA kickoff tickets through a relative with a PSL. We got offered seats in the expandable bleachers in the rafters.

This is basically correct. I don’t know the exact numbers, but the suite holders/top dollar PSL holders are definitely guaranteed seats but they aren’t even promised their exact seats to my knowledge. The higher the PSL you have, the higher you are on the pecking order. If you have a 300 level PSL then you are likely not getting benefit from every event.

I can only speak from personal experience (200 sideline) but outside of the Taylor Swift concert, I’ve had the opportunity for tickets before credit card and other special access offers. I didn’t even check on Super Bowl tickets because I knew I wouldn’t be willing to pay. I think the people that sit next to me paid in the $2500 per ticket range for seats in the 200 level. I could be remembering that number wrong because it was in a conversation months ago but it was at least that. I’m not sure how similar UT/CFA tickets have been to the other CFA games because I haven’t had interest in the teams playing since then, but demand was high for that game with it being the second game in the new stadium. I think I had the option to get tickets anywhere in the 300s but I had friends with better options (lower corner) as GT STH.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I have been buying season tickets since 1967 and give every year since then also, either to the AT fund or the ticket fee, plus I have given to the Roll Call every year. I have 45 yard line seats, although they were on the 50 until the playing area got shifted with the building on the new north stands. For the Tenn game, I was on the 3rd from the top row in the lower "bowl" on the 5 yard line. I don't consider that to be an equivalent location.
Oh now I remember I called and had them switch seats with you :)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Please, everyone, I understand mixed emotions about the announcement. I am on both sides of the fence.

Still, personal attacks are not allowed. Just cleaned up a good portion of this thread and residuals.
I have already deleted a couple of replies in this thread. Let them yell at clouds and know they are in a tiny minority.
What does this mean? I've left this to publicly address it, since I've fielded questions about the comment. You do not have moderator access, to my knowledge, so I am guessing this should be interpreted as you've changed the content of your own posts?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Please, everyone, I understand mixed emotions about the announcement. I am on both sides of the fence.

Still, personal attacks are not allowed. Just cleaned up a good portion of this thread and residuals.

What does this mean? I've left this to publicly address it, since I've fielded questions. You do not have moderator access, to my knowledge, so I am guessing this should be interpreted as you've changed the content of your own posts?

I mis-worded that. I mean I typed up a reply and then ended up deleting the contents and not hitting "post". Lol. Sorry if I confused anyone. I don't have super ninja editing powers or anything.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Mike Bell said yesterday GT fans are the biggest cry babies, this thread man....

Gain in REVENUE
Gain in Exposure
Gain in Branding

What is the problem? This is a big win. 5 guaranteed National games on the big stage, without competing or even earning it on the field. Most teams would kill for this level of exposure.
I agree that Clemson and ND will be great exposure but 2021 2023 not with BC, NC, Pitt, VT, and Louisville to pick from other than ACC fans don't see it in those years. I understand they want only ACC teams but maybe they will rethink it and come up with a better OOC game maybe like Ole Miss.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
upload_2019-2-27_14-27-50.png

This is the chart that was used to select which area your Tenn tickets were in. Once in that area(lower sideline, upper end zone) the AT Fund priority list determined seat selection.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I have a Twitter account, although I seldom use it. I logged in, but I don't see a "comments" option. I see what appears to be Ken's responses to tweets, but not the actual tweets. What am I doing wrong?
See I keep tell you we are old. I few more years we will forget what we were thinking. And with my luck our game at MBS next year I'll drive and walk up to BDS and think what the He!! is going on here.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 5274
This is the chart that was used to select which area your Tenn tickets were in. Once in that area(lower sideline, upper end zone) the AT Fund priority list determined seat selection.

Interesting chart. So what it it says if you have tickets at BDS on the 50 yd line (and pay the AT fund as well) ... you get to sit in the end zone. That is not an even trade.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Which means I, and others like me, will probably get screwed again

Well, they said that GT will have control of the tickets in all of the games except the Clemson game, and will have more control of the Clemson tickets than was had for Tenn. For ND 2020, I am assuming that ND will not have access to lower level tickets between the 20s, so the good seats available to GT season ticket holders should be double what it was for Tenn. They also said that GT would have access to the suites (except for Clemson I assume). That means that people who sit in 106 or CL1 at BDS should have access to seats close to the middle. People who have suites should be in suites instead of on the 50 yard line.

If it is treated as a home game, then the visiting fans should get customary "visiting" fan locations.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
TStan mentioned that he hoped to have 7 home games during this 5-year contract, 6 at BDS and 1 at MBS. If this means we are essentially trading our Away games at G5 schools (UCF, USF, Tulane) for a Home game at MBS, that sounds like a good trade-off to me.

Stansbury said that the athletic department will work to secure seven home games in all five seasons – with one being at the Benz.
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...mercedes-benz-stadium/HSCZUUxUNOAfB1THFYH2vI/
He said that all of the games at the Benz will be conference games.

My understanding is that our scheduling philosophy for the 3 discretionary games on our schedule (after 8 ACC games and uga) is 1 FCS, 1 G5, and 1 P5. The P5 game is going to be a home and home series and the away component should the years we host uga. To maintain a schedule of 7 home games there can only be 5 away games and those are filled with 4 ACC and uga/P5. That would mean no more G5 away games like Temple this year regardless of whether we play an ACC opponent or non-conference opponent in the Benz.

Away games currently scheduled during this 5 year MBS contract:
2020: @ uga
2021: @ ND
2022: @ UCF, @ uga
2023: @ Ole Miss
2024: @ uga​

So TStan needs to dump the UCF game or get them to come to BDS if he is going to get 7 home games in 2022. Otherwise, everything is aligned for 7 home games each year.

I can actually see this catching on and continuing after this 5 year contract. Six home games at BDS and a marquee matchup at the Benz. One of the advantages of dropping the option (which I loved) is it opens up options (no pun intended) for scheduling; schools won't avoid us like the plague. Franklin at Penn State for example understands the value of recruiting Atlanta from his time at Vanderbilt and when he was running joint football camps in Atlanta with Ga State. I think he would love to bring his Penn State team to Atlanta to play GT in MBS. And I would imagine plenty of GT fans would travel to Pennsylvania to see Tech play in Happy Valley. For the years that we host uga, set up a 1 game schedule with a P5 school like TCU and Ohio State did in Dallas this past year and skip the G5 team that year; possibly working with CFA to make those games happen.

Collins believes, and wants everyone else believing, that Atlanta and GT are at the center of the College Football universe. This could become a key component in his vision becoming fulfilled.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

Gain in REVENUE
Gain in Exposure
Gain in Branding

Most teams can do the same thing if they want to. They aren't doing it for some reason.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
So lets say the games go great and we win a couple and we make a lot of cash. What's stopping Tstan from scheduling 2 or 3 games a year at MBS?

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow

Gain in REVENUE
Gain in Exposure
Gain in Branding

I don't think this is true as the only certain game with National, big stage, on ESPN and no competing telecast is the 2020 prime time game with Notre Dame?

The four remaining are TBD, game time, date, team (in two games) and competing telecasts? And I am sure it will be earned. We get two years to earn it. It is still a big win IMO. Please correct if I got this incorrect. :)

"5 guaranteed National games on the big stage, without competing or even earning it on the field."

herb

Helluva Engineer

I don't think this is true as the only certain game with National, big stage, on ESPN and no competing telecast is the 2020 prime time game with Notre Dame?

The four remaining are TBD, game time, date, team (in two games) and competing telecasts? And I am sure it will be earned. We get two years to earn it. It is still a big win IMO. Please correct if I got this incorrect. :)

"5 guaranteed National games on the big stage, without competing or even earning it on the field."

It is my understanding that the Clemson game would be a Kick-off Classic game so that would fit the definition and the second Notre Dame game would also fit because it has Notre Dame. The other two, based on the possible opponents as outlined above would not seem to necessarily fit

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
So lets say the games go great and we win a couple and we make a lot of cash. What's stopping Tstan from scheduling 2 or 3 games a year at MBS?
I think going from one game to two/three is where the novelty wears off and you won't have "marquee" opponents for every game. I think even those of us that see this is a good idea would agree that two or three games is a bad idea because then you don't have the six games in BDS that Tstan has admitted is his goal these five years. There is a reason CFA doesn't have a kickoff game for every week.