Official MBS Announcement: 5 Games over 5 Years

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
CGC will easily be able to market the benefits of this deal. In the end this is all about selling a marquee home game for extra money.

Looking at 2021 and 2023, what acc games could we schedule there to bring in extra revenue by getting more away fans and/or locals to the game? If CGC has us in or near the top 25 every year, Tech fans and away fans should fill MBS, so let’s assume we stay in the 6-8 win range during this time

None of these teams would fill BDS if these games were played there, regardless of how well CGC is doing. The game would be a regional, interconference game played at a pro stadium with no national significance. Why not leverage playing the game at MBS into getting a a home and 'home' setup with either an old SEC rival or a team with national significance, e.g. Ohio State, Michigan, or Texas. Game should sell out and get a prime tv time slot and channel.
Lets hope GT is going great guns by 2022-2023 because if they're not it could get real ugly in my opinion.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I think TStan's response to the question about georgie games was interesting. He said that he felt it was important that that series always be home and home.

Iow, he's admitting that he's really giving up a home game to play in Mercedes Benz.

The quote that the GTAA released read "home and home site".

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
As a trade off maybe we can get Notre Dame to agree to play us at some neutral site up there in 2021. Solider Field maybe?

herb

Helluva Engineer
CGC will easily be able to market the benefits of this deal. In the end this is all about selling a marquee home game for extra money.

Agree with both points. It is good for the coach. Good, at least in the short run, for bank account. As for the fans, a definite mixed bag. And for all the branding we are doing, it sends the wrong message in my opinion, that Bobby Dodd is a second rate stadium.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agree with both points. It is good for the coach. Good, at least in the short run, for bank account. As for the fans, a definite mixed bag. And for all the branding we are doing, it sends the wrong message in my opinion, that Bobby Dodd is a second rate stadium.

This will sound like spin, but I'm not sure it isn't factual... it's not that BDS is second rate, so much as MBS is currently in a class by itself above all other nationally. That said, it can still be true that you prefer BDS, while MBS is a superior stadium to BDS and many other stadiums.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck

This is how I feel too. To me it’s didfficult to convince people you have a great home venue while simultaneously moving your biggest games away from the venue.

I’ve been very clear that I hate this move, for multiple reasons, but it’s happenning whether I like it or not. So hopefully everything works out fine and we make a ton of money and recruits like it. I still think it’ll be a net negative, but what I think isn’t going to change anything.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Haters going to hate... probably the same people who don't like the "swag" that GT now has. I love this, Big game in a big city and there will be Big recruits. Hopefully we can start winning these big games...cause if we do...then GT has a chance to become a very big program.

some of you people have no clue how a top program is built. I'm very thankful that Tstan and CGC are leading.

herb

Helluva Engineer
Haters going to hate... probably the same people who don't like the "swag" that GT now has. I love this, Big game in a big city and there will be Big recruits. Hopefully we can start winning these big games...cause if we do...then GT has a chance to become a very big program.

some of you people have no clue how a top program is built. I'm very thankful that Tstan and CGC are leading.

Not everything that goes against what you think is “hate”. Your opinions are no more or less valid than others

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
There was a time when Tech football games were THE place to be. The stands were filled with alums, students and sidewalk fans. The stands haven’t been as full now for decades and that is largely because we have lost those sidewalk fans to other Saturday activities and entertainment. This plan raises money, of course, but it also raises program awareness, complements our Tech/ATL/404 brand AND it is a great step in trying to reestablish and reintroduce Tech football as a quality, fun experience to the residents in the City of Atlanta without a close Tech affiliation. It just might be influential on some far-flung recruits that can help us win. I applaud TStan for this bold move and I will be there at kickoff.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not everything that goes against what you think is “hate”. Your opinions are no more or less valid than others

At least you, as someone who appears not totally sold on the idea, are willing to give it a go. There are several here who just reject it out of hand and dismiss all notions of how it can be helpful.

Those folks are entitled to their opinion, but are probably more destructive to the overall efforts than the upcoming MBS games, due to their rampant negativity towards trying something new.

Animal02

Banned
At least you, as someone who appears not totally sold on the idea, are willing to give it a go. There are several here who just reject it out of hand and dismiss all notions of how it can be helpful.

Those folks are entitled to their opinion, but are probably more destructive to the overall efforts than the upcoming MBS games, due to their rampant negativity towards trying something new.
Bull. People here have expressed their own opinions for years both positive and negative. Only in the very recent past has a contrary or negative opinion all of a sudden become "destructive" and people have been told to be quite and Jeep it to themselves.