Official MBS Announcement: 5 Games over 5 Years

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
My brother lives in Woodstock and texted me this morning saying The Benz deal is all over the morning news, and the buzz surrounding Tech as of late is insane.

So for everyone having a hard time with this, that’s a positive note at least. Take it or leave it

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Look how many games Alabama has played at the Benz/dome.... They do it for a reason
Yes they do it for a reason:

1) the SEC Championship game is played at MBS
2) the only other time the play there is the Chick-fil-A-kickoff game
BUT each year they play in the Chick-fil-A-kickoff game they still have 7 home games they don't give up a home game to play at MBS.

Apples and oranges are not the same.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
My brother lives in Woodstock and texted me this morning saying The Benz deal is all over the morning news, and the buzz surrounding Tech as of late is insane.

So for everyone having a hard time with this, that’s a positive note at least. Take it or leave it
Guess he lives in a different part of Woodstock than I do, people here are wanting to know why we don't want to play ND at our Stadium

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Other than the fact that it's closer to chicago there's no real reason to do that. I'd rather see the ND campus/stadium for a day.

Yeah, Notre Dame Stadium holds 77k to Soldier Field's 60k. Wouldn't make any sense. There isn't a neutral field anywhere near ND that is as nice or big as their stadium, I wouldn't think.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bull. People here have expressed their own opinions for years both positive and negative. Only in the very recent past has a contrary or negative opinion all of a sudden become "destructive" and people have been told to be quite and Jeep it to themselves.

Considering you're exactly who I'm referring to, I call bull on you.

There's a big difference between not liking the idea, but being willing to see if it works, even though you have doubts, and being a staunch traditionalist who rejects a new idea out of hand, while using a one-note argument (It's a money grab!) to beat down any who disagree.

The former has a negative outlook, but is constructive, as they're open to new avenues to accomplish multiple goals.

The latter, which you fall in to, is destructive. You seek to destroy any positive views because you don't like them and you think only you can be right, utilizing tradition as your crutch.

I'm sure you'll be at the game, because you're a GT supporter, but also be the person who will loudly tell everyone around him throughout the game that we shouldn't even be there. You're the Dante Hicks of GT fans.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Guess he lives in a different part of Woodstock than I do, people here are wanting to know why we don't want to play ND at our Stadium
It’s to easy for people to pick things to get upset about.

The Benz deal is not one of them for me.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Bull. People here have expressed their own opinions for years both positive and negative. Only in the very recent past has a contrary or negative opinion all of a sudden become "destructive" and people have been told to be quite and Jeep it to themselves.

Your opinion on every single topic amounts to "Georgia Tech can't do this or that" whether it is recruiting or filling a stadium. You immediately shoot down, mock and roll your eyes at any ideas for improving our program without providing any of your own. I wouldn't tell anyone to be quiet, but if you don't expect push back on 100 percent negativity, I dunno what to tell you.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yes they do it for a reason:

1) the SEC Championship game is played at MBS
2) the only other time the play there is the Chick-fil-A-kickoff game
BUT each year they play in the Chick-fil-A-kickoff game they still have 7 home games they don't give up a home game to play at MBS.

Apples and oranges are not the same.

I just don't get this "we're losing a home game" argument. We're still the home team and we get the vast majority of the tickets for the games, we're just playing two miles down the road. If MBS is a neutral site for these games then that's a GT fan base problem...

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I just don't get this "we're losing a home game" argument. We're still the home team and we get the vast majority of the tickets for the games, we're just playing two miles down the road, and they'll sell beer. If MBS is a neutral site for these games then that's a GT fan base problem...

FTFY:beer:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of apples and oranges, a quick reminder that GT playing 5 games over 5 years is not the same as Miami, Pitt, and Tulane playing full time in NFL stadiums.
I checked what I said and didn't say anything about Miami , Pitt, and Tulane so not sure what you read. I have no problem with the Clemson game because It will be the Chick=fil-A = kickoff game , but I see no reason to give up the other games and not play them in BDS . ND at night would be great. If you like the idea great but I don't.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Look how many games Alabama has played at the Benz/dome.... They do it for a reason

There are pros to playing in the Benz. Even as someone who hates the idea, I see that.

But this isn’t a good comparison. Please let me know when the games Bama plays in the Benz was a conference game where the other team was contractually obligated to play in Tuscaloosa, but Bama decided to move game out of their home stadium instead.

I would have absolutely loved this whole thing if we could have found a way to play a few games at the Benz against big name opponents without having to give away actual home games, which is what Bama does.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I worry that it could lead to that or to the situation Temple has where they share the stadium with the Philadelphia Eagles

Feels like you may be overanalyzing a data point. I do that all the time. I'm not doing it in this instance.

Based on a quick Google search of Temple football stadium, they don't appear to control their own destiny by already having an on campus football stadium.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I just don't get this "we're losing a home game" argument. We're still the home team and we get the vast majority of the tickets for the games, we're just playing two miles down the road. If MBS is a neutral site for these games then that's a GT fan base problem...
If it's not at BDS than you can call us the home team, but it's not a home game to me.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I checked what I said and didn't say anything about Miami , Pitt, and Tulane so not sure what you read. I have no problem with the Clemson game because It will be the Chick=fil-A = kickoff game , but I see no reason to give up the other games and not play them in BDS . ND at night would be great. If you like the idea great but I don't.

You're right. You didn't mention Tulane.

https://gtswarm.com/threads/gt-to-play-at-mb-stadium.17686/page-5#post-548864

ETA: it was A02 that doubled down.
https://gtswarm.com/threads/gt-to-play-at-mb-stadium.17686/page-6#post-548865

Regardless, my apples & oranges point stands.