Official: Brent Key is Georgia Tech Football's Head Coach

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Except for a couple of years they're basically a 4 win team going all the way back to the turn of the century. They're on the verge of 2 generations of kids not even knowing what a winning football team looks like, much less competing for titles. Not sure what Colorado's financials look like, but the AD will cover Dieon's salary and much more. Their recruiting will notch up 10-15 spots probably, maybe more. If they're smart enough to hire good assistants to cover his weaknesses & it looks like that's the case, it's a great gamble. Don't mistake it for what we did here. We hired someone way over his head, staffed the team with weak assistants. We plunked down millions we did not have and took our $5M rainy day fund and turned it into a $9M deficit. Then we alienated the fanbase & drove ticket sales down. We paid to destroy our program and a handful of misguided fans cheered it on the whole way. It's a completely different story in Boulder. Just in increased ticket sales, etc they may cover all of Deion's salary & the you have renewded interest and donations to boost the rest.
I don't think we are disagreeing. Your point that they are going on 20 years of non-winning football pretty much agrees with my assertion that the AD is desperate and needs to make a bit bet to change things. I'm not even saying it was a mistake.

But make no mistake, this is thinking "At worst for me I'll be fired, but if I don't change things I'll be fired anyway. At best I'm a genius. But if things go pear-shaped, I don't have to live with the debt since I'll be gone."

Can't say I blame him...I might have done the same thing in those circumstances. But I don't think we were in the same situation at all, and a Deion hire here didn't make sense to me.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I

But make no mistake, this is thinking "At worst for me I'll be fired, but if I don't change things I'll be fired anyway. At best I'm a genius. But if things go pear-shaped, I don't have to live with the debt since I'll be gone."

Can't say I blame him...I might have done the same thing in those circumstances. But I don't think we were in the same situation at all, and a Deion hire here didn't make sense to me.
It is interesting that the salaries at the top of the pyramid (sports and publicly traded businesses) are structured in the same way. Financially there is no failure either way so why not try the "scorched earth" policies if you are backed into a corner? If it fails, you walk away and are set for life monetarily. Yes, you might have a bad "reputation" or "legacy" but if you walk away with 7 figures and retire on the beach, do you care what the guys and gals at your former place of employment have to say about you? I say no.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
It is interesting that the salaries at the top of the pyramid (sports and publicly traded businesses) are structured in the same way. Financially there is no failure either way so why not try the "scorched earth" policies if you are backed into a corner? If it fails, you walk away and are set for life monetarily. Yes, you might have a bad "reputation" or "legacy" but if you walk away with 7 figures and retire on the beach, do you care what the guys and gals at your former place of employment have to say about you? I say no.
I think part of it is on purpose and a good idea, but there's a con as well. I want managers who are free to make decisions without personal fear. So some level of financial independence is warranted so that they don't just play defensively to keep their job. We don't want leaders playing to not lose. But the other side of that is that when their back is against the wall they can do stupid things as the down-side risk doesn't increase for them at near the level that it does for their employer, while the upside benefit does to some degree.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we are disagreeing. Your point that they are going on 20 years of non-winning football pretty much agrees with my assertion that the AD is desperate and needs to make a bit bet to change things. I'm not even saying it was a mistake.

shape muscle GIF

Great observation. Colorado's program has been pear shaped for some time. The AD has to make s decision and hang on, see where it takes him. Maybe it moves the program forward. I think it will, the bet is whether it makes for sustainable change. And it's OPM, so no real risk for him individually other than reputation.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Does anyone have information on how to watch the press conference today? I thought I remember hearing it will be live streamed.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
He basically means... you play each play hard and prepare well and the results you want come. Saban calls that "trusting the process" So did Johnson. I think thats why key added the "is what it is" part with that little smirk.
I understand. Just wish he'd specifically said it that way. Good news is, that's the worst that I was able to nitpick out of that press conference.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Just a note. To summarize day 1 of Prime’s tenure at CU…

1. ⁠Sanders commits NCAA violation during introductory press conference
2. ⁠Sanders tells the current Colorado players to pack their bags and hit the portal because he's bringing players with him
3. ⁠Colorado's AD begs fans to not sell tickets to Nebraska fans, because they anticipate the stadium being overrun
4. ⁠Colorado's AD admits they don't have the money to pay the contract they just signed.

This is pretty amazing. For point #2 above, take a look. I know CU has sucked lately, but the level of disrespect there for the athletes is unbelievable. Especially following the speech he gave his guys at Jackson State about not putting their names in the portal.

I was on the fence about Deion - but after watching some of the shenanigans the past couple of days, I’m glad we didn’t roll the dice on the guy. He may win, and CU is literally betting that he will - but from what I see, he wouldn’t be anywhere close to a culture fit at GT.
I had a very different take on his speech to the CU team. He talked about bringing his own luggage (Louis and in Louis Vuitton) and that the quality of play was unacceptable for the fans, the students, and their parents. Essentially, things are going to be different and if you're interested in the status quo, the portal's waiting. It wasn't the most eloquent, but I didn't have an issue with what he said, in context.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I had a very different take on his speech to the CU team. He talked about bringing his own luggage (Louis and in Louis Vuitton) and that the quality of play was unacceptable for the fans, the students, and their parents. Essentially, things are going to be different and if you're interested in the status quo, the portal's waiting. It wasn't the most eloquent, but I didn't have an issue with what he said, in context.
I'll be very honest, I couldn't understand what the hell he was talking about. He speaks like a ****ing moron trying to get by on inferences due to inability or unwillingness to actually explain himself clearly. I just saw a bunch of kids who he'd similarly lost.