Official: Brent Key is Georgia Tech Football's Head Coach

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Specifically, an opposing coach's poor decision gave us an opportunity to cause a fumble - and there was certainly no guarantee of it. We seized that opportunity and then had another opportunity to win with 22 seconds left. We seized that opportunity as well, in heroic fashion. Too many folks are focusing on the coach's bad decision, which it was, as if he gave us the game. GT as a team had to accomplish some amazing things to capitalize on the opportunity to win.
Yes! And those opportunities happen multiple times in multiple scenarios all season long. The coach who passes when he should be running out the clock (Shanahan!) gives an opportunity, the coach who pitches the ball instead of handing it off (GASOU vs. Tech 2014) gives an opportunity, etc. It was up to both teams, Pats and Jackets to make something of it. In those two cases, both succeeded (though Shanahan's folly covered multiple possessions).

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yes! And those opportunities happen multiple times in multiple scenarios all season long. The coach who passes when he should be running out the clock (Shanahan!) gives an opportunity, the coach who pitches the ball instead of handing it off (GASOU vs. Tech 2014) gives an opportunity, etc. It was up to both teams, Pats and Jackets to make something of it. In those two cases, both succeeded (though Shanahan's folly covered multiple possessions).
I agree 100% that GT took advantage of the opportunities. GT still could have easily lost the game.
But that doesn't change the fact that the opportunity itself never should have existed.

Give GT the credit for taking advantage of the opportunity. Give the blame to Miami for allowing GT to even have that opportunity.
That's why GT's odds of winning the game where less than 0.01% with a minute and a half left - GT needed Miami to do something incredibly stupid and it did.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree, the odds of us scoring were very very low. The pass to Rutherford was incredible. That King escaped the pocket and Leary got behind all the defenders was beyond incredible.
Yep.

It's said that "luck is where preparation meets opportunity." Many people seem to be focusing on the "opportunity" part, and ignoring the "preparation" part. Both are important - for every win and every loss. This one is easy to put under that microscope, but when you look at other games that we lost, I'm sure you can find some opportunities we "gifted" to the other teams as well.

Ultimately, I think that's why we as fans should judge a season not on one game or play, but on the overall sum of the results.

I loved the Miracle on Techwood Drive. But I don't think of the 2015 season as a success.

On the other hand, do I like it that we didn't beat uGA this year? Hell no. Am I content with the level of effort that was put forth by our team in that game? 100%. Along with the number of wins, that level of effort that we started to see in that final regular season game was indicative to me of the program Key and his staff are building. Miami's "gift" be damned. If you do the work, you put yourself in the position to take advantage of those opportunities. And if you develop the commitment to play at a high level of effort, you get the same thing.

I hope we continue to develop more consistency as we move into the bowl, the offseason, and Key's 2nd year as HC. I think we will.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Yep.

It's said that "luck is where preparation meets opportunity." Many people seem to be focusing on the "opportunity" part, and ignoring the "preparation" part. Both are important - for every win and every loss. This one is easy to put under that microscope, but when you look at other games that we lost, I'm sure you can find some opportunities we "gifted" to the other teams as well.

Ultimately, I think that's why we as fans should judge a season not on one game or play, but on the overall sum of the results.

I loved the Miracle on Techwood Drive. But I don't think of the 2015 season as a success.

On the other hand, do I like it that we didn't beat uGA this year? Hell no. Am I content with the level of effort that was put forth by our team in that game? 100%. Along with the number of wins, that level of effort that we started to see in that final regular season game was indicative to me of the program Key and his staff are building. Miami's "gift" be damned. If you do the work, you put yourself in the position to take advantage of those opportunities. And if you develop the commitment to play at a high level of effort, you get the same thing.

I hope we continue to develop more consistency as we move into the bowl, the offseason, and Key's 2nd year as HC. I think we will.

2015 was probably the craziest season of snake bit i've ever seen a football team have.

of our 9 losses 6 were one score games (arguably ND was not but we did have to convert onside kicks and score to pull within 8 and if we had converted agian who knows) including uga

because of the blowouts at the start of the season our point differential was positive the entire year.

Nearly lsot two games in a row on last second long distance field goals in bobby dodd.

Lost our entire 4 deep of our A-backs to injury

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Against the 8th toughest schedule in the country he won 4 games, and lost 5 other one score games.
He won 1 conference game, has no wins against a team with a winning record, and 3 of his 4 wins were by 3 points, two of which he had to come from behind to win in the 4th/OT, and the other was tied before the go ahead FG. He was closer to having more losses than he was to having more wins.

That is already better than anything Collins ever did.
Can't believe I have to defend Collins here, but he did beat a 6 win Miami in 2019 and a 6 win UNC in 2021. Either way, doing better than Collins is a ridiculously low bar for accomplishment.

Also where did I say he will crash and burn?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Kirby talked to CBK for a loooong time after the game last year in Athens.

Did anyone happen to see how that handshake went this year?
Kirby was trying to get his guys off the field and HCBK had to reach out a grab him for smart to realize who HCBK was. I think they were still in a fog as to how close they came to defeat from a 6-6 team. Starts about the 24minute mark

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Kirby was trying to get his guys off the field and HCBK had to reach out a grab him for smart to realize who HCBK was. I think they were still in a fog as to how close they came to defeat from a 6-6 team. Starts about the 24minute mark

Yessss. I saw fear among Dwag fans in the stands in the 1st and 4th quarters. Let's do what we can to make that fear a bit more palpable, shall we?

Btw, this can be done. 3 stars with the right coaching (shoot, even two stars; see Clint Lynch) can beat 5 stars. It's worth remembering that "stars" are rewarded to 18 year olds. By the time these young men are 20 they can be changed out of recognition and suddenly be competitive with their supposed superiors in high school. Coaching and the right development program can do wonders.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yessss. I saw fear among Dwag fans in the stands in the 1st and 4th quarters. Let's do what we can to make that fear a bit more palpable, shall we?

Btw, this can be done. 3 stars with the right coaching (shoot, even two stars; see Clint Lynch) can beat 5 stars. It's worth remembering that "stars" are rewarded to 18 year olds. By the time these young men are 20 they can be changed out of recognition and suddenly be competitive with their supposed superiors in high school. Coaching and the right development program can do wonders.
Clinton Lynch (spelling?) Now, there is a name I have not heard in a long time. A fine A back for Coach Johnson. Remarkably versatile. He could block, run, and catch passes usually for long gainers. Had a couple of years where he had 500 yards receiving and rushing. I did not realize he was a two star out of high school. He had good company with Shaq also being a two star lineman I believe.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
More of a maroon out here than a gold out for a top 25 matchup.

Clinton Lynch (spelling?) Now, there is a name I have not heard in a long time. A fine A back for Coach Johnson. Remarkably versatile. He could block, run, and catch passes usually for long gainers. Had a couple of years where he had 500 yards receiving and rushing. I did not realize he was a two star out of high school. He had good company with Shaq also being a two star lineman I believe.
Yea he was a last minute flip from G-state and everyone was like meh.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I agree 100% that GT took advantage of the opportunities. GT still could have easily lost the game.
But that doesn't change the fact that the opportunity itself never should have existed.

Give GT the credit for taking advantage of the opportunity. Give the blame to Miami for allowing GT to even have that opportunity.
That's why GT's odds of winning the game where less than 0.01% with a minute and a half left - GT needed Miami to do something incredibly stupid and it did.
Again, and I realize I'm belaboring a point here, it's shortchanging GT to give equal or greater weight to the coach's poor decision to run the ball, as far as the game's outcome is concerned. To say that the opportunity should never have existed for us is almost like saying egregiously bad decisions and freakish circumstances should never happen in football - yet they do, every season. The media only focused on Mario's bad decision because of GT's actions following it which led to a win for us. Had we not caused the ensuing fumble and Miami won the game, it would soon have been forgotten.

Obviously, Mario's decision was a critical component of the chain of events. And I don't know exactly how much our odds of winning changed from .01% as soon as he made the decision with 44 seconds to go, but I would expect them to have changed only to perhaps 0.1- 0.5% at best. At that point, GT had no time for any other sequence of events to occur and still win the game, yet we (not Miami or their coach) did exactly what had to happen in order to win, including causing the fumble in the first place.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Again, and I realize I'm belaboring a point here, it's shortchanging GT to give equal or greater weight to the coach's poor decision to run the ball, as far as the game's outcome is concerned. To say that the opportunity should never have existed for us is almost like saying egregiously bad decisions and freakish circumstances should never happen in football - yet they do, every season. The media only focused on Mario's bad decision because of GT's actions following it which led to a win for us. Had we not caused the ensuing fumble and Miami won the game, it would soon have been forgotten.

Obviously, Mario's decision was a critical component of the chain of events. And I don't know exactly how much our odds of winning changed from .01% as soon as he made the decision with 44 seconds to go, but I would expect them to have changed only to perhaps 0.1- 0.5% at best. At that point, GT had no time for any other sequence of events to occur and still win the game, yet we (not Miami or their coach) did exactly what had to happen in order to win, including causing the fumble in the first place.
No one disputes that GT did the unthinkable to get the fumble and score in 26 seconds.

Implying the coaches decision was a mistake like many outlets in football is disingenuous. Even 99% of the posters on this board would never have run several plays with a handoff when taking a knee 3 times guaranteed a win.

Can you imagine how this board would have reacted had we run plays vs UNC instead of taking a knee and then they won. On a last second TD. Would you say, gee UNC made a couple of great plays, the story should focus on that. LOL

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
No one disputes that GT did the unthinkable to get the fumble and score in 26 seconds.

Implying the coaches decision was a mistake like many outlets in football is disingenuous. Even 99% of the posters on this board would never have run several plays with a handoff when taking a knee 3 times guaranteed a win.

Can you imagine how this board would have reacted had we run plays vs UNC instead of taking a knee and then they won. On a last second TD. Would you say, gee UNC made a couple of great plays, the story should focus on that. LOL