Official: Brent Key is Georgia Tech Football's Head Coach

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Deion is hiring an Alabama coach to be his defensive coordinator while we'll be middle of the pack recruiting for Key's entire time here...swing and a miss by Batt
Weird to act like getting somebody from Alabama’s staff is a massive get for Deion, when Key was literally a massive part of Alabama’s staff for 3 years.

Swing and a miss by JacketTrain

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Weird to act like getting somebody from Alabama’s staff is a massive get for Deion, when Key was literally a massive part of Alabama’s staff for 3 years.

Key was seen as a massive get for us when we hired him away from Alabama. Also, there is a difference between hiring a guy who has already shown to have success at the position, Kelly at FSU, vs one who has never had that position, Key at HC.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Key was seen as a massive get for us when we hired him away from Alabama. Also, there is a difference between hiring a guy who has already shown to have success at the position, Kelly at FSU, vs one who has never had that position, Key at HC.
Key has a .500 record as a HC after replacing a guy who had a .263 record before him, without the benefit of spring and summer camp. That’s almost a 100% improvement simply from him becoming the leader, and basically nothing else changing. I would argue that’s success as a head coach

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Key has a .500 record as a HC after replacing a guy who had a .263 record before him, without the benefit of spring and summer camp. That’s almost a 100% improvement simply from him becoming the leader, and basically nothing else changing. I would argue that’s success as a head coach

That's what is called being the interim head coach. He has no experience doing the full job of a head coach which include everything that is needed during the offseason. If CU were hiring Kelly to be their head coach I'm betting the reaction would be far different.

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan
I dont know if I'd say Kelly was successful at FSU. Defenses were Jekyll and Hyde year to year. 50th, 9th, 45th, and 29th from 14-17.

NW GA JACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
I for one don’t give a damn what Deion does. He was never a fit for the Institution, and was never coming here. If he wins the whole damn thing , great for him, but I suspect he won’t, at least not there. He is biding time for his next gig wherever that may be, but in the mean time, y’all keep looking at Coach Prime , that’s what he craves and always has. I will say he is a phenomenal athlete and personality, and rises to the occasion more times than not, but I’m not sure a P5 coach is what he will thrive in. Time will tell. Go Jackets!

GT33

Helluva Engineer

Charles Kelley is a very good pick up by Deion. Hardly call it a swing and a miss assessment. Let me know when Key add's anyone of that caliber to his staff.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
That's what is called being the interim head coach. He has no experience doing the full job of a head coach which include everything that is needed during the offseason. If CU were hiring Kelly to be their head coach I'm betting the reaction would be far different.
Other interim HC’s this year:

Shaun Aguano - Arizona State: 2-7
Cadillac Williams - Auburn: 2-2
Mike Sanford - Colorado: 1-6
Mickey Joseph - Nebraska: 3-6
Jim Leonhard - Wisconsin: 4-3
Daniel Da Prato - USF: 0-3
Brent Key - Georgia Tech: 4-4

Key was an outlier when it came to interim HC’s this year, in that he was one of only 2, Leonhard being the other, who had actual success as a head coach. He also took over arguably the worst situation for anybody on this list. Colorado was debatably just as bad or worse than us, but it’s close. There was a very real chance Key could’ve finished 5-3 and gotten us to a bowl had Pyron been prepared to go with the 1’s before the UVA game. The biggest knock on Key as a HC is that he lost a game with a backup QB after our starter came out. I also believe had Weinke been calling plays we might’ve won the UVA game even with Gibson playing. He seemed to have a much better understanding of our guys’ strengths and how to utilize them to the fullest of their ability than Long.

According to this article written in September of this year, there had been 178 interim head coaches, and they posted a combined 254-490 record. For Key to take over a team who hadn’t won more than 3 games in 3 years, and then proceed to win 4 in just 8 games, be one of the most successful interim HCs of the season, and have a well above-average record as an IHC, I’d say he’s done more than enough to be a serious HC candidate.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Charles Kelley is a very good pick up by Deion. Hardly call it a swing and a miss assessment. Let me know when Key add's anyone of that caliber to his staff.
The point is that Key himself is of that caliber, and acting like having somebody from Alabama’s staff is a big deal while downplaying Key’s resume and time at Alabama is silly.

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow

Key couldn't even recruit 4-5 star linemen here when some of you guys see him as a great line coach. He looked great at Alabama because he was given the picks of the litter. If you think him looking good compared to Geoff Collins proves anything, you're a bout as dull as your reply to me. GT will be back to 6-5 records with occasional 9-3. Deion was not needed to coach but to recruit at a high level and let the coordinators call plays. With Deion at the helm at Tech, he could've gotten any coordinators that he wanted because they would come to coach the talent Deion would pull from Fla, Ga and the rest of the South. Not going back and forth with you as you seem to be satisfied with mediocrity as long as it's coming from a Tech Man

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Remind again of GOL's head coaching experience again before he took the Tech job. Key is going to be fine.

Remind me why you're bringing up OLeary in a discussion about why hiring an Alabama assistant as a HC vs as a DC is or isn't the same?