Official: Brent Key is Georgia Tech Football's Head Coach

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I'll be very honest, I couldn't understand what the hell he was talking about. He speaks like a ****ing moron trying to get by on inferences due to inability or unwillingness to actually explain himself clearly. I just saw a bunch of kids who he'd similarly lost.
He uses big words in unusual ways, it makes him sound ignorant. It also irritates me how much he interjects religeon (and I am not anti-religeon!) as the reason for all of his decisions or the things that happen in his life, that may not play that well outside of the South. I just don’t believe it was God’s plan for him to leave Jackson St, I think it was Deion’s plan to make more money and get more fame/media coverage.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'll be very honest, I couldn't understand what the hell he was talking about. He speaks like a ****ing moron trying to get by on inferences due to inability or unwillingness to actually explain himself clearly. I just saw a bunch of kids who he'd similarly lost.
I'm not so sure they were lost. They responded pretty quickly and spontaneously when he called for a team response at the end of the clip I saw. It will be interesting to see how these kids react, how many actually go into the portal, how many of those actually find an equivalent or better situation. I agree he was hard to hear and his references are typically lost on me. It took me a little while to realize the Louis (closed captions) he was referring to as Louie was Louis Vuitton, basically saying he's coming in drippin' and they can either class up or ship out. But then, I'm a 53-year-old man, and that crap's lost on me.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The mis-ranked ones that should have been 2-3 stars? Have any of those cast-off’s from factories worked out for us?
Who's to say they're cast-offs? We've had good players leave us without much playing time find success other places. They weren't cast-offs from us.

To answer your question, we've had a ton of players coming from "factories" that have spent a ton of time on the field for us. If you're interested in numbers, I think @RamblinRed went through the recent list somewhere.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Translation: We are on a rebuild, but we’re going to do it the right way and as soon as possible.
At least my interpretation.
My interpretation of what he said was "you can't worry about outcomes, you have to focus on preparation, effort, approach, and attitude." The results are these outcomes from the preparation, effort, approach, and attitude. If you focus on the results, you lose sight of the preparation, effort, approach, and attitude, and fail. Focus on those things and the results will take care of themselves.

Just my interpretation and I agree with him.

Last edited:

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
My interpretation of what he said was "you can't worry about outcomes, you have to focus on preparation, effort, approach, and attitude. The results are these outcomes from the preparation, effort, approach, and attitude. If you focus on the results, you lose sight of the preparation, effort, approach, and attitude. Focus on those things and the results will take care of themselves.

Just my interpretation and I agree with him.
Yeah, I thought the question was a bit of a 'gotcha'. I think it was Ken doing that. Dude seemed to be having a bad day. What's up, Ken?

Anyway, Key struggled to articulate it, but the idea is simple: You hate losing sooo much that you prepare well. Then you don't look at the results of the overall effort at any given point during the attempt, you just keep trying to win the next moment. If you've prepared well, and you focus on winning the next moment, the results will come. And if they don't you just prepare that much harder.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think it's a coaching "thing" as I've heard many other coaches say similar stuff w.r.t. results.

No matter what you do, there is an element of the result that is outside your control. No matter what you do.

But you can control how much and how well you prepare, so focus primarily on those things. That's what, theoretically, puts you in more and better positions to get the result you want.

It's why how a player 'grades out' is meaningful. Thats sort of a measure of how well the player prepared and applied that preparation.

Long story long, dont worry about outcomes. Worry about preparation, effort, approach, attitude, etc.

Eta. It's not a 'new' thing. Just is probably the first time some-a you proletariats heard it.

nicole richie hair flip GIF

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I need more context to the question. Are you asking who the good players that left us to find success other places?
No, who are the players who weren’t getting any playing time at Tech who went on to have success elsewhere? Not doubting you I just haven’t heard of them.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No, who are the players who weren’t getting any playing time at Tech who went on to have success elsewhere? Not doubting you I just haven’t heard of them.
The first name that comes to my mind recently is Chico Bennett. Don't know why he left (and I didn't say "players who weren't getting [any] playing time at Tech").

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
The first name that comes to my mind recently is Chico Bennett. Don't know why he left (and I didn't say "players who weren't getting [any] playing time at Tech").
CB was getting a decent amount of playing time, he was in 9 games and started 2 in 2020, and played in 7 in 2019. I looked it up - he left because he was homesick, he's from the Virginia area.