Official: Brent Key is Georgia Tech Football's Head Coach

slugboy

Staff member
So, you're telling me Colorado has money to spend?
They do not. They’re spending the money now with the hope that they’ll more than make it back once the winning starts.

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
No, they don’t actually. This is a huuuuugggeeee roll of the dice. They’re basically betting their entire financial future that this Deion hire works out. If it doesn’t, they’re done.

That’s not hyperbole, either. If this doesn’t work out, their program will be destroyed financially.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
That’s not hyperbole, either. If this doesn’t work out, their program will be destroyed financially.
And for a program without a lot of recent success, they’re going to need a pretty immediate turnaround. They have 2 winning seasons since 2006, and one of them was Covid year where they went 4-2. If Deion comes in and the first 2 years they go 4-8 and 5-7, they’re going to be in biiiiigggg trouble. They pretty much have to make a bowl game in year 1 to get any sort of return on investment, and if they miss a bowl game in year 1 they better win 8+ games in year 2. I guess somewhat lucky for them USC and UCLA will be out of the PAC 12 by Deion’s 2nd year, so the door will be open for them to compete for a conference title.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
And for a program without a lot of recent success, they’re going to need a pretty immediate turnaround. They have 2 winning seasons since 2006, and one of them was Covid year where they went 4-2. If Deion comes in and the first 2 years they go 4-8 and 5-7, they’re going to be in biiiiigggg trouble. They pretty much have to make a bowl game in year 1 to get any sort of return on investment, and if they miss a bowl game in year 1 they better win 8+ games in year 2. I guess somewhat lucky for them USC and UCLA will be out of the PAC 12 by Deion’s 2nd year, so the door will be open for them to compete for a conference title.
Maybe the payout is in the buyout as someone described may have been the case with Freeze. It would give them some level of protection.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Deion is hiring an Alabama coach to be his defensive coordinator while we'll be middle of the pack recruiting for Key's entire time here...swing and a miss by Batt
Yes, someone we couldn’t afford to keep, when he was offered more at Florida State as a linebackers coach over our DC position. What does this have to do with Batt? Financial reality hits again.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Just a note. To summarize day 1 of Prime’s tenure at CU…

1. ⁠Sanders commits NCAA violation during introductory press conference
2. ⁠Sanders tells the current Colorado players to pack their bags and hit the portal because he's bringing players with him
3. ⁠Colorado's AD begs fans to not sell tickets to Nebraska fans, because they anticipate the stadium being overrun
4. ⁠Colorado's AD admits they don't have the money to pay the contract they just signed.

This is pretty amazing. For point #2 above, take a look. I know CU has sucked lately, but the level of disrespect there for the athletes is unbelievable. Especially following the speech he gave his guys at Jackson State about not putting their names in the portal.

I was on the fence about Deion - but after watching some of the shenanigans the past couple of days, I’m glad we didn’t roll the dice on the guy. He may win, and CU is literally betting that he will - but from what I see, he wouldn’t be anywhere close to a culture fit at GT.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer

2. ⁠Sanders tells the current Colorado players to pack their bags and hit the portal because he's bringing players with him
3. ⁠Colorado's AD begs fans to not sell tickets to Nebraska fans, because they anticipate the stadium being overrun
4. ⁠Colorado's AD admits they don't have the money to pay the contract they just signed.

This is pretty amazing. For point #2 above, take a look. I know CU has sucked lately, but the level of disrespect there for the athletes is unbelievable. Especially following the speech he gave his guys at Jackson State about not putting their names in the portal.

I was on the fence about Deion - but after watching some of the shenanigans the past couple of days, I’m glad we didn’t roll the dice on the guy. He may win, and CU is literally betting that he will - but from what I see, he wouldn’t be anywhere close to a culture fit at GT.
What was the violation during the press conference?

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Named his son as starting QB even though his son has yet to enter the portal. Tampering 101 but he will make noise about its my son blah blah and get away with it.
Right. That and pointing out how many recruits he has lined up already to come in. Which could be a larger violation, if he was working those while at Jackson State.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Whether he's a smart AD, we'll see, but there's no mistaking he's got massive cojones.
He's not a smart AD either way. He has cojones, and it might well pay off, but all you can say about him right now is he's a desperate AD and is, in fact, putting it all on 21 Red. But he's playing with someone else's money. If this doesn't work out he gets fired, but Colorado is going to be left holding the debt.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
He's not a smart AD either way. He has cojones, and it might well pay off, but all you can say about him right now is he's a desperate AD and is, in fact, putting it all on 21 Red. But he's playing with someone else's money. If this doesn't work out he gets fired, but Colorado is going to be left holding the debt.
Except for a couple of years they're basically a 4 win team going all the way back to the turn of the century. They're on the verge of 2 generations of kids not even knowing what a winning football team looks like, much less competing for titles. Not sure what Colorado's financials look like, but the AD will cover Dieon's salary and much more. Their recruiting will notch up 10-15 spots probably, maybe more. If they're smart enough to hire good assistants to cover his weaknesses & it looks like that's the case, it's a great gamble. Don't mistake it for what we did here. We hired someone way over his head, staffed the team with weak assistants. We plunked down millions we did not have and took our $5M rainy day fund and turned it into a $9M deficit. Then we alienated the fanbase & drove ticket sales down. We paid to destroy our program and a handful of misguided fans cheered it on the whole way. It's a completely different story in Boulder. Just in increased ticket sales, etc they may cover all of Deion's salary & the you have renewded interest and donations to boost the rest.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

I think what deion was saying is that "we are going to do things very different if you aren't down with that you better hit that portal because there won't be a place for you"

MAT 2005

Georgia Tech Fan
I think what deion was saying is that "we are going to do things very different if you aren't down with that you better hit that portal because there won't be a place for you"
That’s what I took from it too. If you use do doing stuff the old way then go ahead and jump in the portal!! I honestly like what he said.