Official: Brent Key is Georgia Tech Football's Head Coach

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
That was entirely tongue in cheek. (Hence the (tic)) Bradley himself has called out the nickname before. His writing has always seemed to reflect the attitudes of the AJC readership - which is tilted towards UGA. He's a good writer and I enjoy his articles... most of the time.

Shultz was much better when he was with the AJC, IMHO.

Agree on both points. I think Bradley is a pretty good writer. He's a columnist, so he's paid to write opinion, and while I don't always agree with his, it's rarely something that I wouldn't read from any other columnist covering GT.

Shultz was better. That's why The Athletic poached him.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Agree on both points. I think Bradley is a pretty good writer. He's a columnist, so he's paid to write opinion, and while I don't always agree with his, it's rarely something that I wouldn't read from any other columnist covering GT.

Shultz was better. That's why The Athletic poached him.
Bradley was an excellent writer when he was younger. He has been at the AJC for almost 40 years and he was a reporter in Lexington, KY for six years prior to that. He is a graduate of the University of Kentucky. Whether he has a bias toward uGA is a matter of opinion,, but I do not think he has any actual connection there.

I read the column and I think it's OK. It's mostly honest and his points are legit. Certainly from someone not prone to be favorable toward GT.

Who thinks Kelly or Ken is a less biased writer relative GT? I do not have an Athletic subscription, so I have no opinion of Shultz work there.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Something I've noticed in the ADJB announcement clip has me wondering.

At about the :38 mark, after Key walks in and all the guys erupt in applause, etc., Key starts working his way down the front row shaking hands and hugging guys. All the players are standing, cheering, reaching out.

Except one.

One player in the second row is seated, not applauding, and not smiling. Don't know who he is, but that looks very odd to me.

Is he headed to the portal? Is he in CBK's doghouse at the moment? Is he just more of an introvert? Or just in shock? I dunno.

Any one else have a take?

Last edited:

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Something I've noticed in the ADJB announcement clip has me wondering.

At about the :38 mark, after Key walks in and all the guys erupt in applause, etc., Key starts working his way down the front row shaking hands and hugging guys. All the players are standing, cheering, reaching out.

Except one.

One player in the second row is seated, not applauding, and not smiling. Don't know who he is, but that looks very odd to me.

Is he headed to the portal? Is he in CBK's doghouse at the moment? Is he just more of an introvert? Or just in shock? I dunno.

Any one else have a take?

That is one of those moments where he wasnt taught early in life, "Dont shake a mans hand while you are sitting down"...
Honestly, it looks as if he stands up before Key blocks the camera

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Probably best not to try and speculate. No reason to.

That is one of those moments where he wasnt taught early in life, "Dont shake a mans hand while you are sitting down"...
Honestly, it looks as if he stands up before Key blocks the camera

All I know is that any time you have a group that big, if only one person is upset with the boss, I think you’re doing great.

In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have posted that. I have no reason to assume anything negative (other than the optics).

My bad. :confused:

slugboy

Staff member
Well, let’s see how good a forecaster I am.
  • No OC announced on Monday
  • “Search is active”
On one hand, I think Key had people in mind. If he announces an OC, that’s a really good sign.

@85Escape - Re: who picks staff—you want the HC and coordinators aligned. They should be a team that pick the other coaches. It’s not good to be a coordinator and be teaching something different than all of your position coaches. It’s not good to be a HC and have an OC running his own little program underneath you.

Wake’s HC and OC are a good team, and I think that’s what you want to see.

So, a little of both

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Well, let’s see how good a forecaster I am.
  • No OC announced on Monday
  • “Search is active”
On one hand, I think Key had people in mind. If he announces an OC, that’s a really good sign.

@85Escape - Re: who picks staff—you want the HC and coordinators aligned. They should be a team that pick the other coaches. It’s not good to be a coordinator and be teaching something different than all of your position coaches. It’s not good to be a HC and have an OC running his own little program underneath you.

Wake’s HC and OC are a good team, and I think that’s what you want to see.

So, a little of both
Thanks. I figured it was something like that. I'll let my senior managers pick their managers, but I have a strong say (usually just a veto vote that isn't used.)

As to your forecasting, you are probably right. I'm not forecast, just guessing...and really that's just code for 'hoping'. ;)

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
He probably has his guy or at least top 3. Depending on the playoffs possibly.
I’m sure he is more focused on recruiting at this point. With the HS playoffs in full swing, all hands on deck.