Official: Brent Key is Georgia Tech Football's Head Coach

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I also had high hopes that JBatt would make a solid hire. That couldn't have been more wrong. Watching us strike out on multiple good to mediocre coaches and have to settle on our fall back option was sad.
The only thing even remotely "sad" about this hire is that Key wasn't the first option all along. The man's a leader, and he's going to succeed.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Ive never gloated over losses. Just voiced frustration. I don't think I have much frustration left to give, and im tired of being angry about the program so you are probably safe on this one.
Hang in there dude. Hopefully it's a small, short term contract with an easy buy out.

Key has his shot. Let's see what he's got. If they'd announced this 2 months ago I'd be going ape, but 4-4 is a whole lot better than 10-28. If we weren't going to spend the money for a top shelf HC, this isn't a bad option.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Now that Key has been officially hired, it marks a turning point in my GT fandom. I had hoped that we were committing to the program going forward with the firing of Collins and TStan. I also had high hopes that JBatt would make a solid hire. That couldn't have been more wrong. Watching us strike out on multiple good to mediocre coaches and have to settle on our fall back option was sad. Watching other programs make great hires and build excitement makes me even more sad. That could have been us. We could have had something to look forward to but apparently we can't afford it. It's unfortunate but sometimes life takes you a different direction. I don't think I can support the program much going forward. Here's hoping basketball can turn things around.
This is very sad to read. Seriously.

GTRhino24

GT Athlete
Congrats to Brent! Regardless of how they came to the decision, he has an opportunity to show what he can do and I hope he kills it. He cares deeply for the school and the kids. That’s a good starting point and he is tough as nails. We may have found a diamond in the rough. What better way to fill the trenches with hogmollies than to have a head coach who used to be one?

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Knowing where we are as a program, key was the coach I thought we would end up with. Haven’t seen numbers, but I will assume that it will be on the cheap side without a huge buyout. Hopefully that will allow us to get out of the Financial situation. since the donors got who they wanted I expect $ to increase similar to what we got the first year with 🤡. I think we will be in a better financial situation in two years, if we haven’t made a bowl game by then we will have more $ to go after a better HC. In terms of record (hope I’m wrong) but the next two will be similar to this year.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Now that Key has been officially hired, it marks a turning point in my GT fandom. I had hoped that we were committing to the program going forward with the firing of Collins and TStan. I also had high hopes that JBatt would make a solid hire. That couldn't have been more wrong. Watching us strike out on multiple good to mediocre coaches and have to settle on our fall back option was sad. Watching other programs make great hires and build excitement makes me even more sad. That could have been us. We could have had something to look forward to but apparently we can't afford it. It's unfortunate but sometimes life takes you a different direction. I don't think I can support the program much going forward. Here's hoping basketball can turn things around.
no one can make you happy but i hope you do come back

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't know that he was wrong. It's looking like Fritz was actually in talks to be HC but that broke down because the sides couldn't agree.

It's not a secret Fritz is looking for security...he didn't get to coach at places where he got paid well until he got to GA Southern, and even then they were low balling him.

Honestly, it may have been a blessing in disguise Fritz didn't come here because a LOT of money (relatively speaking to what he's getting paid at Tulane) changes people and their work ethic. Not saying that's Fritz, but I'm happy to not find out the hard way.