Official: Brent Key is Georgia Tech Football's Head Coach

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
GT better be glad Key really wants this job. Most folks don't take well to being the "oh well" choice. Whatever, let's see how he changes the staff. Go Jackets!!!!
You sure any of what you were reading was actually accurate? Ken retracted his article within an hour.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Now that Key has been officially hired, it marks a turning point in my GT fandom. I had hoped that we were committing to the program going forward with the firing of Collins and TStan. I also had high hopes that JBatt would make a solid hire. That couldn't have been more wrong. Watching us strike out on multiple good to mediocre coaches and have to settle on our fall back option was sad. Watching other programs make great hires and build excitement makes me even more sad. That could have been us. We could have had something to look forward to but apparently we can't afford it. It's unfortunate but sometimes life takes you a different direction. I don't think I can support the program much going forward. Here's hoping basketball can turn things around.
I enjoy reading your posts. Be cynical, be underwhelmed, be disappointed, but don’t give up. FWIW, I am pretty impressed about what Key has done as HC in the short time he’s had and I’m looking forward to the future for the first time in a long time.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Via ESPN other candidates whiffed on the idea of not having a certain amount of money guaranteed. J Batt is working with his hands tied behind his back b/c of the Collins 11M owed. Can't get your guy with a bad offer.
Or maybe those were good offers. Most of these coaches are way overpaid. There are many high school coaches that would jump at the opportunity to take way less money (which is way more than they currently make) to coach these programs.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Most people don't know if they're the "oh well" hire, but it's probably more often than they'd think...

Whether Key has more inside info, or puts any credence into the millions of rumors, is something we also don't know. I don't think it'll be a big issue.
I’m sure he doesn’t care. If anything he might coach with a chip on his shoulder which could give him even more motivation

CPJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Or maybe those were good offers. Most of these coaches are way overpaid. There are many high school coaches that would jump at the opportunity to take way less money (which is way more than they currently make) to coach these programs.
The value of the offer is set by the market, not opinion. There are other schools with openings and others who have filled theirs. Contract info is public info for public schools. GT has to be competitive to hire a good candidate.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I’m not excited about this hire. In my mind, he better get a great OC very fast.

I am rooting for him, but I still don’t see superior HC material with BK.

GT football is in dire straits & old boy network got what they wanted.

PS. Didn’t need to pay a search firm for this hire.
Think of it this way. They paid a search firm to find a handful of guys that thought they were worth more than they are

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
“Brent did a great job for us at Alabama and was fantastic as the interim head coach for Georgia Tech this year. I know he is excited to lead his alma mater, and he will do an excellent job as the Yellow Jackets’ head coach. Brent is a very passionate coach who works tirelessly at his craft. His players love to play for him, and he does a great job of putting them in situations to be successful. Brent has a wonderful family, and we are so very happy for him to have this opportunity at Georgia Tech”
Alabama head coach Nick Saban

Heady praise.

Source: https://ramblinwreck.com/brent-key-named-georgia-tech-footballs-21st-head-coach/
Knowing how things work - Nick didn’t say that, someone wrote it for him. But I’m sure he feels that way.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know that he was wrong. It's looking like Fritz was actually in talks to be HC but that broke down because the sides couldn't agree.
Word is an offer was made to Fritz, but we couldn’t afford to offer enough guaranteed money/years to get him to leave Tulane.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Now that Key has been officially hired, it marks a turning point in my GT fandom. I had hoped that we were committing to the program going forward with the firing of Collins and TStan. I also had high hopes that JBatt would make a solid hire. That couldn't have been more wrong. Watching us strike out on multiple good to mediocre coaches and have to settle on our fall back option was sad. Watching other programs make great hires and build excitement makes me even more sad. That could have been us. We could have had something to look forward to but apparently we can't afford it. It's unfortunate but sometimes life takes you a different direction. I don't think I can support the program much going forward. Here's hoping basketball can turn things around.
Lol. Ok dude, way to overreact. So if we come out and win four of our first six you’re tapped out?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Big Hero GIF