Official: Brent Key is Georgia Tech Football's Head Coach

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
What you call doom & gloom, I call facts & reality.

You have every right to your optimism. I would defend your right to say what you believe.

I am not as optimistic, & I have every right to communicate my opinion. You have every right to put me on “ignore” or scroll past my entries.
I'm not ignoring you. I just don't understand the need to be a buzz-kill.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Clip ‘n save…I was at the game (live in Raleigh) sitting near Tech’s tunnel. After the game J Batt and Brent Key didn’t merely share a hug, or even a bear hug. No, this was a full on, full frontal manly embrace, the kind that says “if you promise not to lay an egg in Athens, you got the job, I promise.” We shall see. Maybe they were simply caught up in the moment, but I know what I saw.
Looks like this was accurate!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I reserve the right to change opinion once staff is settled and transfer portal shuffling sorted, but early call: 7 wins next year which I will be plenty excited to see.

Agreed. I think we make a bowl game next year at minimum. The improvement I saw in our team with a staff he didn't hire, and players he didn't pick give me a LOT of hope for GTFB next year.

I'm excited again for GTFB, and happy this is all settled.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I for one am happy about this hire. Look, there's no questioning that he didn't have a great record as an assistant, but I fully am convinced that part of that was on Collins. Just look how thackers improved. But I also don't think it's fair to judge him based on when was an assistant Now he has an entire off season to do what he wants with the team as opposed to being handicapped as an interim. Seems like many people forgot how much of a handicap he had as an interim versus now how much more freedom he has with the program now

Last edited:

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Now that Key has been officially hired, it marks a turning point in my GT fandom. I had hoped that we were committing to the program going forward with the firing of Collins and TStan. I also had high hopes that JBatt would make a solid hire. That couldn't have been more wrong. Watching us strike out on multiple good to mediocre coaches and have to settle on our fall back option was sad. Watching other programs make great hires and build excitement makes me even more sad. That could have been us. We could have had something to look forward to but apparently we can't afford it. It's unfortunate but sometimes life takes you a different direction. I don't think I can support the program much going forward. Here's hoping basketball can turn things around.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Now that Key has been officially hired, it marks a turning point in my GT fandom. I had hoped that we were committing to the program going forward with the firing of Collins and TStan. I also had high hopes that JBatt would make a solid hire. That couldn't have been more wrong. Watching us strike out on multiple good to mediocre coaches and have to settle on our fall back option was sad. Watching other programs make great hires and build excitement makes me even more sad. That could have been us. We could have had something to look forward to but apparently we can't afford it. It's unfortunate but sometimes life takes you a different direction. I don't think I can support the program much going forward. Here's hoping basketball can turn things around.

I have only one ask. Over the years I have seen many of these farewell posts but the folks that do these rarely keep their promises. If you aren't excited that's okay but just leave silently and don't resurface next year after our first loss gloating in how right you were today. Not saying that you would do this. But i have seen many who have and will. Take care and here's hoping that the hoops squad has a good year..

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

Thanks. Hopefully Key proves you wrong.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I have only one ask. Over the years I have seen many of these farewell posts but the folks that do these rarely keep their promises. If you aren't excited that's okay but just leave silently and don't resurface next year after our first loss gloating in how right you were today. Not saying that you would do this. But i have seen many who have and will. Take care and here's hoping that the hoops squad has a good year..
Ive never gloated over losses. Just voiced frustration. I don't think I have much frustration left to give, and im tired of being angry about the program so you are probably safe on this one.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
As the #1 anti-Key guy, I'll have you know you'll see none of that from me.

He's the guy so that means he's now my guy and he'll get 100% of my support.

One thing I can't stand is folks nibblin' away because the person hired wasn't their top choice. It's not about you, so to speak. It's about the Institute. Too many folks forget that.
Amen brother, ride or die.