Official: Brent Key is Georgia Tech Football's Head Coach

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I actually think that we did offer Fritz (and he accepted in principal) and it was going to be quiet until after his championship game, but some pro-Key folks didn't like it and leaked it to Ken to sabotage the deal - and then Fritz looked like crap negotiating for a job even though his season wasn't over, we looked bad not hiring Key (fans all pissed) and so GT and Fritz decided to not do the deal. I kind of think that Key may have Ken to thank for his getting this job. And poor Ken has egg on his face when he probably had good info.
Meh, who cares at this point? Lets forget about it and look forward!

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Now that Key has been officially hired, it marks a turning point in my GT fandom. I had hoped that we were committing to the program going forward with the firing of Collins and TStan. I also had high hopes that JBatt would make a solid hire. That couldn't have been more wrong. Watching us strike out on multiple good to mediocre coaches and have to settle on our fall back option was sad. Watching other programs make great hires and build excitement makes me even more sad. That could have been us. We could have had something to look forward to but apparently we can't afford it. It's unfortunate but sometimes life takes you a different direction. I don't think I can support the program much going forward. Here's hoping basketball can turn things around.
I don't disagree, but per espn it sounds like J Batt had his hands tied due to funding . The school didn't have the funds or seem willing to put a large amount of money up front or a large contract , after being burned by Collins .

I also think your not being fair to key and judging him based on the direction of the program under Collins and the handicaps key was given as interim .
Sure the other coaches had way more experience, but also look at coaches like Dabo. Also an assistant at Alabama and also was an interim .

Give key a chance

TheOldWhiteNGold

Georgia Tech Fan
Not the sexy splash hire many (including myself) were hoping for 2 months ago, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense given the current state of our program.

GT football became somewhat fun to watch again when CBK took over and is a somewhat proven commodity. We couldn’t afford to strike out on another fools gold hire and let Key walk and possibly find success elsewhere. CBK has his work cut out for him (as does J Batt), but he’s already very familiar with the challenges that GT is faced with.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Now that Key has been officially hired, it marks a turning point in my GT fandom. I had hoped that we were committing to the program going forward with the firing of Collins and TStan. I also had high hopes that JBatt would make a solid hire. That couldn't have been more wrong. Watching us strike out on multiple good to mediocre coaches and have to settle on our fall back option was sad. Watching other programs make great hires and build excitement makes me even more sad. That could have been us. We could have had something to look forward to but apparently we can't afford it. It's unfortunate but sometimes life takes you a different direction. I don't think I can support the program much going forward. Here's hoping basketball can turn things around.
Give the man a chance!

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
When Collins was fired, I wanted to go after Chadwell to bring in an offensive minded coach after watching our abysmal offense the last 4 years, but like I have said several times since key took over, as the season went on you felt like you have to root for Key.

His passion for tech and wanting us to be successful is awesome to see. Watching the vid of j batt announcing him as coach not only got you pumped up, but something just felt right about it.

I do hope he really evaluates the staff and makes the changes best for the team. It’s going to be interesting to see if/which coaches stay and go now that he has the full say.

I am about to drop a $500 donation to the AA in my support to help out. I would do more but the mrs would prob kill me as she already complains I give money now since tech is not my alma mater.
La Tech Deal With It GIF by Louisiana Tech University

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
When Collins was fired, I wanted to go after Chadwell to bring in an offensive minded coach after watching our abysmal offense the last 4 years, but like I have said several times since key took over, as the season went on you felt like you have to root for Key.

His passion for tech and wanting us to be successful is awesome to see. Watching the vid of j batt announcing him as coach not only got you pumped up, but something just felt right about it.

I do hope he really evaluates the staff and makes the changes best for the team. It’s going to be interesting to see if/which coaches stay and go now that he has the full say.

I am about to drop a $500 donation to the AA in my support to help out. I would do more but the mrs would prob kill me as she already complains I give money now since tech is not my alma mater.
La Tech Deal With It GIF by Louisiana Tech University
Time for me to win the lottery and get the AA money to give our guys what they need for success in this new world.
Go Jackets

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t understand “I’m out because we can’t afford it right now.”

Twenty years of bad spending and leadership dug a hole. Even if they’d scrounged up the money from some donors, a Hail Mary would’ve been expensive and could leave the AA in an even worse spot. Starting a bottom up rebuild by first focusing on stability is smart. Get to the point where people think you know what your doing this time around and you have the resources to spend 2x in the future. Then 3x…

Why be pissed at the AA for not spending money they don’t have because of previous leadership? Be angry at the old leaders. Be glad the new ones are more responsible. Hope it works out.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
As the #1 anti-Key guy, I'll have you know you'll see none of that from me.

He's the guy so that means he's now my guy and he'll get 100% of my support.

One thing I can't stand is folks nibblin' away because the person hired wasn't their top choice. It's not about you, so to speak. It's about the Institute. Too many folks forget that.
I like that. We all get so caught up in the internet that we forget why we're even here in the first place. We're Tech fans.

Looking forward to see what this man can do while pulling all the strings. LETS GOOO

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
I actually think that we did offer Fritz (and he accepted in principal) and it was going to be quiet until after his championship game, but some pro-Key folks didn't like it and leaked it to Ken to sabotage the deal - and then Fritz looked like crap negotiating for a job even though his season wasn't over, we looked bad not hiring Key (fans all pissed) and so GT and Fritz decided to not do the deal. I kind of think that Key may have Ken to thank for his getting this job. And poor Ken has egg on his face when he probably had good info.
Why do you think that?

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
You just take your sad sack of bananas on down to the basketball games and leave us to watch football then

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Mark Bradley's take:

Bradley stole my line: It doesn’t matter if Key was the first choice. What matters is that he’s the right choice.

That motherf@$#&r...