Offensive Play-Calling

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, we move the ball pretty well when it’s not 3rd/4th and short. It’s amazing how that type of thing changes the perception of an offense - or maybe THAT IS what defines a good offense

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, we move the ball pretty well when it’s not 3rd/4th and short. It’s amazing how that type of thing changes the perception of an offense - or maybe THAT IS what defines a good offense
To me, the issue is that 3rd and 4th down apply pressure to thin out the playbook, therefore it indirectly helps the D. It’s like rolling a QB to one side or the other limits what a QB can do on the back side and makes the Ds job a bit easier. We have to work to keep the playbook open on 3rd and short, not with low-percentage plays, but with an assortment of high-percentage plays that are not runs between the tackles. We will fail some doing that, but we fail running between the tackles, too. However, what we will do is force the D not to crowd the LOS.

Last edited:

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
To me, the issue is that 3rd and 4th down apply pressure to thin out the playbook, therefore it indirectly helps the D. It’s like rolling a QB to one side or the other limits what a QB can do on the back side and makes the Ds job a bit easier. We have to work to keep the playbook open on 3rd and short, not with low-percentage plays, but with an assortment of high-percentage plays that are not runs between the tackles. We will fail some doing that, but we fail running between the tackles, too. However, what we will do is force the D not to crowd the LOS.
Aka we are not a hard nose Paul Johnson coached team that will pick up 3rd/4th and 2 at a national leading clip?

Yeah I hear you. I honestly don’t remember us being so stubborn in short yardage situations last year, but maybe we were?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Aka we are not a hard nose Paul Johnson coached team that will pick up 3rd/4th and 2 at a national leading clip?

Yeah I hear you. I honestly don’t remember us being so stubborn in short yardage situations last year, but maybe we were?
We don’t tend to run 3rd and 2 from under center, so no.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
That's what you have with 2 wkws to prepare.If it doesn't show like that new stuff something is WRONG.
Duke was 5-0 and now 5-1, but will go 1-5. They are not Louisville nor is Diaz a coach like Brohem.
Duke was a great practice game for UNC

Unc defens will jump these short routes trying to fumbles or int. .
When we will eventually throw 15 yd passes down field, maybe coach will realize the pass goes the same distance as most of our sideline dump passes.

Unc is our last game where we have superior talent

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Actually, we ran that same play in the 1st series if I remember correctly. Gained 8 or 9 yards.
It was on left side. On the one for the win, singleton speed was on full display.

On the false start free play where king tried to hit him on a deep pass , he was well covered. King put the throw to a point where the defender could not get it and singketon had a diving shot. He is realy improving as a wr. If we dont throw deep ball to him, its a waste of talent.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I'm so surprised, 5 pages in and no one has commented on the double-entendre thread title.

How many of you have been offended by the play calling? Most, if you visit the chat during a game.
Pretty much thought the same thing when I first read the title when it came out, but thought the better of commenting on it. It is good to know that others wondered the same thing.

slugboy

Staff member
I'm so surprised, 5 pages in and no one has commented on the double-entendre thread title.

How many of you have been offended by the play calling? Most, if you visit the chat during a game.
Well it's not risque, but definitely two meanings.

Faulkner might not call the touchdown play all the time, but the offense is much better than it was.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Can’t watch the game, but I am wondering if we need to kick start this thread based on offensive performance today vs UNC

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I feel like Buster is under utilizing our talent. He has become too predictable, and his success rate is about 50 % where it could be and should be closer to 75%. We still struggle with short yardage plays and have not utilized the deep passing game nearly enough this season. As I go back through most of our games this season, I can recall thinking how many times I thought he made not just a bad play call but a terrible play call. I think he needs to rethink his philosophy and open up our offense and get more unpredictable or we are going to be coming up short in a lot of games for the remainder of this season.

By the way neither Virginia Tech nor NC State have more talent than we do. Like most ACC teams they are somewhat comparable and if we minimize our mistakes, we have an excellent chance to beat both. Notre Dame, Miami and Georgia do have more talent than we do so if we want to compete with them, we will have to eliminate mistakes, play like our hair is on fire and hope for some good breaks.

Go Jackets!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I feel like Buster is under utilizing our talent. He has become too predictable, and his success rate is about 50 % where it could be and should be closer to 75%. We still struggle with short yardage plays and have not utilized the deep passing game nearly enough this season. As I go back through most of our games this season, I can recall thinking how many times I thought he made not just a bad play call but a terrible play call. I think he needs to rethink his philosophy and open up our offense and get more unpredictable or we are going to be coming up short in a lot of games for the remainder of this season.

By the way neither Virginia Tech nor NC State have more talent than we do. Like most ACC teams they are somewhat comparable and if we minimize our mistakes, we have an excellent chance to beat both. Notre Dame, Miami and Georgia do have more talent than we do so if we want to compete with them, we will have to eliminate mistakes, play like our hair is on fire and hope for some good breaks.

Go Jackets!
King has not been good on the deep pass this year. Nearly every game he has had either Rutherford or Singleton open on a deep vertical and missed on the throw. You only get a few shot a game and King has been off on nearly all of the deep throws. His arm/shoulder may have been dinged up for several games. We will never really know.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
King has not been good on the deep pass this year. Nearly every game he has had either Rutherford or Singleton open on a deep vertical and missed on the throw. You only get a few shot a game and King has been off on nearly all of the deep throws. His arm/shoulder may have been dinged up for several games. We will never really know.
I agree, and he hasn’t hit a receiver in stride on a deep route yet this season