Offensive Play-Calling

slugboy

Staff member
I regularly see Auburn fans say what a great job Key is doing, and I see similar stuff from UGA fans. I see people say great things about us in a lot of places, but here there’s a lot of negativity.

As a team, we’re in pretty good shape. (we’re in the “good offense, bad defense” quadrant)

This is an “Inside Carolina” analyst—apparently, he thinks we have an OL:

I’m generally seeing nice stuff. We can get better, but we’re a top 20-30 offense. That usually means your play calling is pretty good.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I regularly see Auburn fans say what a great job Key is doing, and I see similar stuff from UGA fans. I see people say great things about us in a lot of places, but here there’s a lot of negativity.

As a team, we’re in pretty good shape. (we’re in the “good offense, bad defense” quadrant)

I’m generally seeing nice stuff. We can get better, but we’re a top 20-30 offense. That usually means your play calling is pretty good.

After so many years of just bad football, we finally get to see good football (no, not great, FotM) and folks just complain and nitpick all over. I’ll never understand why.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I’d say that’s true about every fanbase, overall they view opponents at a glance or 500 ft view while the fans put their team under a microscope with a 5ft view. We just want our team to be the best versions of themselves and envy other’s success. Remember it’s never as good or as bad as it seems.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
here there’s a lot of negativity.

I've seen a subset of posters here with a fair amount of negativity considering we've won two in a row. But it seems to me that most on the board are generally pleased with our record at this point in the season. Credit to CBK for raising the expectation bar.

There's always griping about play-calling. I can't understand why we keep calling plays that don't work, instead of ones that do. Our success rate in the UNC game was only 48%. That's only 81st percentile or 10th best in the country. Those are rookie numbers. Need to get that up to the 99th percentile. j/k

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
I've seen a subset of posters here with a fair amount of negativity considering we've won two in a row. But it seems to me that most on the board are generally pleased with our record at this point in the season. Credit to CBK for raising the expectation bar.

There's always griping about play-calling. I can't understand why we keep calling plays that don't work, instead of ones that do. Our success rate in the UNC game was only 48%. That's only 81st percentile or 10th best in the country. Those are rookie numbers. Need to get that up to the 99th percentile. j/k
I'm not negative, we just lost 2 games I had in the win column. Now if we can just pull off the next 5 games, I'll finish the season just 2 games below my prediction.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
My one disagreement (and the source of my frustration with our play-calling) is that in terms of points scored, I believe we are 40th in the nation in points per drive. NOT top 20-30 on offense. We simply break down too often and our reliance on long grinding drives seems to limit our explosive plays which is how teams often score. Some would call our play-calling too conservative.

Bottom line imho for any offense is scoring. I want more scoring….

Techster

Helluva Engineer

UNC has 2 DLs that will probably drafted between the 1st and 4th rounds. Our OL wasn't pushing around scrubs.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My one disagreement (and the source of my frustration with our play-calling) is that in terms of points scored, I believe we are 40th in the nation in points per drive. NOT top 20-30 on offense. We simply break down too often and our reliance on long grinding drives seems to limit our explosive plays which is how teams often score. Some would call our play-calling too conservative.

King gets criticized for being inaccurate on long throws, but is very accurate on short or sideline throws.
How many of his long inaccurate throws were intercepted or almost intercepted? 0.
Imo, he has been told interceptions must be avoided. Got to take more risk if you want more reward.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

Perhaps you were thinking of scoring offense (points per game) where we are 41st. However, scoring offense is not the most accurate indicator of how well your offense is doing. Points per drive normalizes for games with fewer possessions (like FSU) and is a better barometer for ball-control offenses like ours.

Advanced stats like FEI peg us as the #19 offense with the 22nd-best PPD at 2.96. Other advanced stats, such as EPA, rank our passing offense at 12th and rushing at 20th. Suffice to say we easily have a top-25 offense regardless of points scored. Our offense, and by inference our play-calling, is pretty far down the list of squeaky wheels that need fixing.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
We are 41st in scoring offense. However, scoring offense is not the most accurate indicator of how well your offense is doing. Points per drive normalizes for games with fewer possessions (like FSU) and is a better barometer for ball-control offenses like ours.

Advanced stats like FEI peg us as the #19 offense with the 22nd-highest PPD at 2.96. Other advanced stats, such as EPA, rank our passing offense at 12th and rushing at 20th. Suffice to say we easily have a top-25 offense regardless of points scored. Our offense, and by inference our play-calling, is pretty far down the list of squeaky wheels that need fixing.
Well said!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps you were thinking of scoring offense (points per game) where we are 41st. However, scoring offense is not the most accurate indicator of how well your offense is doing. Points per drive normalizes for games with fewer possessions (like FSU) and is a better barometer for ball-control offenses like ours.

Advanced stats like FEI peg us as the #19 offense with the 22nd-best PPD at 2.96. Other advanced stats, such as EPA, rank our passing offense at 12th and rushing at 20th. Suffice to say we easily have a top-25 offense regardless of points scored. Our offense, and by inference our play-calling, is pretty far down the list of squeaky wheels that need fixing.
If GSU and VMI are in those stats, your post is
great data point that can be compare how we are doing after next 5 games which include 3 teams in top 12 and 2 teams that have under performed.
If we are easily in top 25 by end , we will be bowling.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

WE have lacked the explosive plays in the passing game for much of the season. It seems King has been off on his deep throws for most of the season. No idea why but when you miss those opportunities it becomes much harder to get points.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

Actually, the stat I saw was points per drive, not per game. That was why it was relevant to me that we were #40. Not bad, certainly, but not top 20…

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Actually, the stat I saw was points per drive, not per game. That was why it was relevant to me that we were #40. Not bad, certainly, but not top 20…
Advanced stats like FEI peg us as the #19 offense with the 22nd-best PPD at 2.96.
Ok. Not sure what source you were using but as I mentioned above, FEI currently has our PPD at 22nd, consistent with our overall offensive ranking.

forensicbuzz

If GSU and VMI are in those stats, your post is
great data point that can be compare how we are doing after next 5 games which include 3 teams in top 12 and 2 teams that have under performed.
If we are easily in top 25 by end , we will be bowling.
Georgia State beat Vandy. Everyone has a VMI. Don't minimize what we've already accomplished just because what's in front of us is harder.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Georgia State beat Vandy. Everyone has a VMI. Don't minimize what we've already accomplished just because what's in front of us is harder.
Minimize?
Harder?
Not very precise.

Road kill took time to get data points we can measure our "increase" as we play the harder portion of our schedule.

Defense is coming around from dl towards the db who have ability. .
Special teams has been very random ( UL).

Faulkner s Offense with Pyron will show to be strong. Maybe it will be less flashy but strong.

We have great opportunities in front of us. ND has some highly rated D guys who are playing wsy below last years
PFF.
We have 2 more BYE WEEKS.

Let's roll.

forensicbuzz

Minimize?
Harder?
Not very precise.

Road kill took time to get data points we can measure our "increase" as we play the harder portion of our schedule.

Defense is coming around from dl towards the db who have ability. .
Special teams has been very random ( UL).

Faulkner s Offense with Pyron will show to be strong. Maybe it will be less flashy but strong.

We have great opportunities in front of us. ND has some highly rated D guys who are playing wsy below last years
PFF.
We have 2 more BYE WEEKS.

Let's roll.
Maybe I interpreted your post differently than you intended. Sometimes I have difficulty deciphering your posts. Regardless, I like what you wrote in this one.