Offensive Play-Calling

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe the offense will have a great game next week in Chapel Hill, like the game last year against UNC: 635 yards and 46 points. Hope the Jackets can put the current offensive malaise in the rear-view mirror.
Putting 412 years on Duke was nice but I think the best stat line of the night from our offense was TOP... 39:27 to 20:33... that is fantastic. Yes, our defense helped out with getting a lot of 3 and outs for us; but the screens and chunk runs allowed us to milk the clock a bit. I'd LOVE to see us put 500+ yards of offense of UNCheat and hopefully give up less than 200 on defense!

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I understand it seemed very vanilla and predictable this game, but it also seemed to work just fine. We put up 412 yards in the game, which is more than any team in Duke's 5 previous games this year (including Duke themselves). I think that the general idea of the plays look predictable but there are little differences in each play that we don't notice easily and help them succeed.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Putting 412 years on Duke was nice but I think the best stat line of the night from our offense was TOP... 39:27 to 20:33... that is fantastic. Yes, our defense helped out with getting a lot of 3 and outs for us; but the screens and chunk runs allowed us to milk the Yes. But in dpite of that, we tralied late in the 3rd quarter, 14-10clock a bit. I'd LOVE to see us put 500+ yards of offense of UNCheat and hopefully give up less than 200 on defense!
Correct, BUT…in spite of that we trailed late inthe 3rd quarter. Had we not rallied for a dominant 4th quarter (something we were unable to do in our 2 losses) we would have lost this game. Therein lies the problem.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think some of Buster’s play calling involves compensating for areas in which our offense isn’t strong, emphasizing certain blocking patterns, types of runs, and certain pass patterns. It’s the only way I can account for large missing sections in the playbook. Also, as others have pointed out, some of his plays may be influence plays to set up other plays in the future.
I’m certain that’s it, but my question is, “what changed?” We had a lot more looks late last year and brought basically everyone back. It’s just strange…injuries must be playing a part

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I’m certain that’s it, but my question is, “what changed?” We had a lot more looks late last year and brought basically everyone back. It’s just strange…injuries must be playing a part
I’m sure injuries have taken their toll. Brent also mentioned in his post game press conference that they realized they had sort of gotten in a “phone booth”, his words, when talking about the play calling/overall playing the offense. We stopped using the whole field which we did a much better job of over the latter half of the year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I’m sure injuries have taken their toll. Brent also mentioned in his post game press conference that they realized they had sort of gotten in a “phone booth”, his words, when talking about the play calling/overall playing the offense. We stopped using the whole field which we did a much better job of over the latter half of the year.
Key is honest.
Hope the coaches can include a few passes down field in the definition of "the whole field".