Offensive Play-Calling

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think some of Buster’s play calling involves compensating for areas in which our offense isn’t strong, emphasizing certain blocking patterns, types of runs, and certain pass patterns. It’s the only way I can account for large missing sections in the playbook. Also, as others have pointed out, some of his plays may be influence plays to set up other plays in the future.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
No one has mentioned the play where a Duke db came within a whisker of intercepting a wide receiver screen to the right side. He broke on the ball from about 10 yards away in a full sprint before King even let it go. He knew exactly what was coming and almost got a pick six that would have drastically changed the game.

I don’t think the short horizontal passes will work against better teams if that is all we are capable of. Surely we have to pass downfield at some point. I don’t have the stats handy, but I think King only averaged about 6-7 yards per completion.

After that play I mentioned in chat we needed to run a fake WR screen and next play there it was with a nice medium gain to a open WR. Think right now it’s more of coaches going to the well too long before mixing it up. I think coaches are still holding back plays for tougher teams and only using some if need be.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, what worked against Duke well enough to win won't work down the road. What I don't get about the called QB runs is that Haynes King is a much better runner when he sees an opening and takes off. He's great in the open field, very hard to a bead on and get hold of, not so great in traffic. He's a slippery eel, not a power runner. I was relieved when he handed the ball off, because he doesn't need any more wear and tear.
I'd like to see the Jackets mix it up more next week.
Yes, King is getting banged up. You can see it. He needs to be running less, not more. This is a good time for the OL to take the step on run blocking.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yes, King is getting banged up. You can see it. He needs to be running less, not more. This is a good time for the OL to take the step on run blocking.
Love to see King tuck it under in the open field, but I hate to see him hit the pile. Like to see more Alexander, too. Both Hayneses need a break.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I feel like we should be throwing a few longish throws to the sidelines to Blackburn or some other tall receivers on occasion
Our WRs don’t get much separation. Usually, they’re wide open due to busted coverage, or it’s a short, quick route. King occasionally forces a great throw through coverage. I don’t see our WRs often running 2-3 steps out front, except Singleton on a go route. Those are low percentage passes, though.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Just listened to CBK’s post-game presser. He had some comments pertinent to this thread.

CBK felt like we had been too constricted in the last couple of games (too many up-the-middle plays). So, a goal of the Duke game was to spread it out more. This was said in response to a question about the screens opening up the run game more. It also factored into our overall strategy against a team like Duke.

He expressed concern about how Duke had shown the ability to excel in the second half of their games and therefore we wanted to wear them down. Thus, sustaining long drives while working Duke's defense sideline-to-sideline factored into our play-calling strategy. Given our late-game success, this strategy seemed to work.

I think some fans who saw us “call too many screens” or “play conservative” may be missing some of the strategic aspects of our play-calling.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Everyone, including myself, were calling for Buster to change it up. FSU inflated our sense of the strength of our front 5 to pound the ball.
I thought we did a good job mixing in screens. Looking back, they were some of our most successful plays, and made Duke pay for putting 8 in the box and some of the run blitzes. We couldn’t cash in as much as we should have, but you have to give credit to Dukes defense as well.
As others have said, it will be tougher to use this against faster teams with more speed, but more speed means running in the wrong direction faster as well. We will have to get more vertical, even if mid range.

Glad to see the TE more involved, but still not nearly enough. It will pay dividends in the run game if one of those guys can be a consistent target. Losing Seither hurts here, because he was always a red zone target and at the very least drew coverage.

A couple of my continued nits to pick:

Buster loves to repeatedly call numbers. King will have a tough run for 9, getting multiple hits, then we run him the next play. Jamal rips off a 40 yarder, then we give it the very next play. We have enough players at RB where we don’t need to do this. King is a man, but need to save him some wear and tear. It won’t kill us to hand it off after a tough run or throw a screen.

Our deep passing game is not very good. It is not Kings forte and we just can’t hit them with enough consistency. I think late last year we did a lot more mid range passing: 10-20 yards down the field. That is Kings sweet spot and our OL doesn’t need to sustain blocks too long.
I wish I could reply with an Amen to every post above. There's a simple solution: options so the edge. We aren't doing that and we should. Here endth the sermon.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
The emphasis on all the flat passes is not just GT. I see it in the NFL also.

My theory is that it is an analytics driven trend.

Winning is highly correlated to turnover margin and chunk yardage plays (and the old run the ball and stop the run - which is many times a stalemate and therefore, a non-differentiator)).

Defenses these days sell out to prevent big plays and stop the run. That means that they are willing to give up yards on those flat passes. Coverage is loose there to prevent the big plays.

For offenses, there is bigger chance of turnovers in the vertical passing attack and throwing in the middle of the field.

The analytics probably drive the offensive strategy to take what the defenses gives you, which are those flat passes (if you can't run the ball).

If an offense can run the ball enough to get the safeties up and out of a deep zone, then that opens one-on-one coverage on WRs and the vertical passing game is less risky.

This leads to a repetition of play calls. From a fan's point of view, all of this offense run along the line of scrimmage makes an offense look "rinky-dink." Defenses are willing to give up yards and first downs and even field goals because the statistics say that is unlikely to beat you. It is formulaic.

If coaches simply follow the statistics, then they have covered their butts, accountability-wise. It is not very creative, though.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I agree that the offense looks too predictable and vanilla. I’m pretty cold on Buster this year. The only point I’ll make in his defense is in regard to the screen passes. Many of the screen passes are basically triple option RPOs where Haynes has the option to hand it off, keep it or throw it. Are they calling too many RPOs or is Haynes missing the reads on these too much? Both are valid questions, but I think it’s worth emphasizing Buster isn’t directly calling screens as much as it looks.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Geoff Collins is getting paid to coach football. Do you honestly think there aren't people out there who aren't paid coaches that know more than him?
.Mack drank the Collins Kool aid during the interview. He has the vocabulary but no substance. Mack said he impressed him with his knowledge about their D and what he needed to do for improvement. Hahaha. You have been around long enough to not fall for that, Mack. This year may send Mack into retirement. My UNC buddies are ready for a change.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
Buster calls plays he thinks will work against a particuler D. PERIOD. Give it up guys. He's the best OC we've had in forever.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Buster calls plays he thinks will work against a particuler D. PERIOD. Give it up guys. He's the best OC we've had in forever.

Depends on your definition. We had a literal HoFer call plays for us for a decade just six years ago. The Collins years were dark, but we were used to scoring points prior to that for quite awhile.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
We mixed it up more last night. Short well-designed passing TD to Haynes and another good opportunities for an inside-the-ten pass TD earlier with a drop and a throw that got away. Run some of those against Louisville on that four down fail situation and maybe we win that game.

Still seems to be some telegraphing though.

It’s not that we think we’d be better at calling plays than our coaches. It’s that the D coaches seem good at knowing what we’re gonna call, and often even us fans are aware of what’s gonna be called in what situation.

We don’t have the personnel to tell most other teams exactly what we’re gonna do frequently and win anyway.
And if we execute, our plays are successful.